car won't stay started

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

car won't stay started

Post by wannabe »

i'll start up the car, it'll go a bit, stall and not re-start.

friend says the choke is open and floods the engine. i dunno if he's right.

what do you think? i've told tony about this...
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Re: car won't stay started

Post by mtheis »

The most common problems affecting these engines are premature valve stem seal failure, carbon buildup on the intake valves, and collapse of the oil control ring on the piston. Any of these conditions can lead to rough idling, stalling, and fouled spark plugs.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

mtheis wrote:The most common problems affecting these engines are premature valve stem seal failure, carbon buildup on the intake valves, and collapse of the oil control ring on the piston. Any of these conditions can lead to rough idling, stalling, and fowl spark plugs.
Does it always stall out, or can you milk it along by kicking it in the ribs (or tickling the throttle)? If you can keep it running some times, does it get better as it warms?

Is it carbureted? If so, can you take off the air filter and see if the choke plate on top of the carburetor is maybe sticking closed? It should open up slightly as the engine starts running and then open more as the engine warms. Some folks with sticking choke plates learn to keep a screwdriver handy to hold the choke plate open more until it starts to open on its own in response to engine heat. Maybe try some spray carb cleaner to get the choke plate to move freely.

Have you looked at the spark plugs lately? As mtheis sez, there may be chickens in them. If this is a recurring condition, you may find that you need to become adept at replacing them often. If so, you can clean the chickens out of the used ones (while you are bowling) and re-use them.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Have you looked at the spark plugs lately? As mtheis sez, there may be chickens in them.
I often find more ducks than chickens in my plugs.