What's wrong with my car??? Help fellow standard shifters!

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 VW GTI 1.8T 5speed

What's wrong with my car??? Help fellow standard shifters!

Post by mesaboogie18 »

So my car started acting up today. I think it may be the clutch going out, but I'm afraid it may be the tranny. On the highway going 65mph if I drop it into 3rd gear and floor it, the RPMs rev up almost like it's in neutral and catches at 4,000 RPMs and stays there. My car still accelerates, but the motor doesn't go above 4k rpms for a while then slooowwwlllly moves up a little. Boost is normal though. This happens in all gears with or without traction control on. Also when I shift at high RPMs it won't go into the next gear. It straight up won't go in. I tried a high RPM 1-2 shift and when I forced it into 2nd it grinded really bad. That's for all gear shifts as well. If I shift normally at low RPMs it shifts normally. Also there is a funny smell from my engine bay. It smells slightly like a burned smell...like maybe toasted clutch??? I smelled it from outside the car by the driver side wheel well at first last night. The car has 69,600 miles on original clutch. The car also has all the bolt ons and REVO stage II, and I don't exactly drive like a granny. I think that maybe the extra 100 lb/ft WTQ has caught up to the stock 1.8T clutch...but I'm no expert so I don't know for sure. Anyone have any ideas? :(
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

"Forgiveness is between them and God...I arrange the meeting"
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Re: What's wrong with my car??? Help fellow standard shifters!

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

You sure all those mods to the car and it's electrical systems haven't just caught up to you now? It is a MKIV 1.8T, not exactly the poster child for reliability stock, not to mention when it's modded...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Sounds like a worn out clutch to me.

/inexperienced opinion.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:You sure all those mods to the car and it's electrical systems haven't just caught up to you now? It is a MKIV 1.8T, not exactly the poster child for reliability stock, not to mention when it's modded...
The electrical system has nothing to do with my clutch, mods or tranny though...and my car hasn't had any serious electrical problems. Sure the one touch up/down power windows act up every once in a blue moon and the hatch release button on my key fob works when it wants, but my car has been very reliable. And as for reliability, the MKIV's are known to have electrical problems, BUT the motor and tranny on these cars are bullet proof. I just think that the extra power has finally caught up to the 60,000 mile clutch. I mean the car came with 174lb/ft torque and now I'm dishing out 248 WHEEL lb/ft torque...so my guess is clutch.s
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

A failure like this, if it's a slipping clutch, usually does not appear immediately. Clutch will start slipping a little and only becoming worse. Anything can happen, really but check all clutch/trans fluids first. However, if you're trying to accelerate in gear and it just revs up and doesn't do a whole lot - then the clutch is slipping.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

mesaboogie18 wrote:So my car started acting up today. I think it may be the clutch going out, but I'm afraid it may be the tranny.

On the highway going 65mph if I drop it into 3rd gear and floor it,
better be double clutching that or you've been killing the synchros all along.

the RPMs rev up almost like it's in neutral and catches at 4,000 RPMs and stays there.
blip throttle, then let go of clutch BEFORE you floor it

My car still accelerates, but the motor doesn't go above 4k rpms for a while then slooowwwlllly moves up a little. Boost is normal though. This happens in all gears with or without traction control on.

Also when I shift at high RPMs it won't go into the next gear. It straight up won't go in. I tried a high RPM 1-2 shift and when I forced it into 2nd it grinded really bad.
More problems! Double clutch this please!! Stop forcing!! When done right, any shift is effortless.

That's for all gear shifts as well. If I shift normally at low RPMs it shifts normally. Also there is a funny smell from my engine bay. It smells slightly like a burned smell...like maybe toasted clutch???
Yeah, based on how the tranny is treated, id assume the same fate for your poor poor clutch.

I smelled it from outside the car by the driver side wheel well at first last night. The car has 69,600 miles on original clutch. The car also has all the bolt ons and REVO stage II, and I don't exactly drive like a granny. I think that maybe the extra 100 lb/ft WTQ has caught up to the stock 1.8T clutch...but I'm no expert so I don't know for sure. Anyone have any ideas? :(
Ideas? Learn how to shift, both up and down, and not burn the clutch before its had a chance to synch up your batched down or up shift.
/rant.

Sorry to rip you one, but it just sounds like you dont know what you are doing too much.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

He did not once state whether he was or was not DCing
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

And it sounds like you are jumping to conclusions. Anything is possible but that's just not called for at this time and not in such manner.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

AHTOXA wrote:And it sounds like you are jumping to conclusions. Anything is possible but that's just not called for at this time and not in such manner.
Well i wasn't trying to be rude,

Its just that when I see "forcing into gear at speed", it just doesn't sound right to me.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

It is not necessary to double clutch an upshift, especially when the point is to shift fast. You should never "slam" the gear but it is reasonable to assume that the normal force he used to use does not suffice any more.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

fa22raptorf22 wrote:
mesaboogie18 wrote:So my car started acting up today. I think it may be the clutch going out, but I'm afraid it may be the tranny.

the RPMs rev up almost like it's in neutral and catches at 4,000 RPMs and stays there.

My car still accelerates, but the motor doesn't go above 4k rpms for a while then slooowwwlllly moves up a little. Boost is normal though. This happens in all gears with or without traction control on.

Also when I shift at high RPMs it won't go into the next gear. It straight up won't go in. I tried a high RPM 1-2 shift and when I forced it into 2nd it grinded really bad.
More problems! Double clutch this please!! Stop forcing!! When done right, any shift is effortless.

That's for all gear shifts as well. If I shift normally at low RPMs it shifts normally. Also there is a funny smell from my engine bay. It smells slightly like a burned smell...like maybe toasted clutch???
Yeah, based on how the tranny is treated, id assume the same fate for your poor poor clutch.

I smelled it from outside the car by the driver side wheel well at first last night. The car has 69,600 miles on original clutch. The car also has all the bolt ons and REVO stage II, and I don't exactly drive like a granny. I think that maybe the extra 100 lb/ft WTQ has caught up to the stock 1.8T clutch...but I'm no expert so I don't know for sure. Anyone have any ideas? :(
Ideas? Learn how to shift, both up and down, and not burn the clutch before its had a chance to synch up your batched down or up shift.
/rant.

Sorry to rip you one, but it just sounds like you dont know what you are doing too much.
You are a complete and utter moron, Oh f#*king no a non DC rev matched downshift to 3rd @ 65mph will f*#king kill the synchros.

I don't know anyone else in person that DCs there street car, guess what? their synchros are mint, fanf#&kingtastic even. They don't give a shit about any of that shit cause they don't know a thing about it, hell as long as they aren't powershifting and ripping their shifter through the gears the synchros will be fine. Hell 99% of the cars I know that have weak synchros are from guys trying to drift. A SC downshift to 3rd at 65mph is fine, the people that make the cars don't expect the driver to DC and expect the synchros to last the life of the car..... if they didn't we would have no synchros or dog boxes.... hell i don't know why performance cars don't have dog engagement from the factory but thats another story.....

For me downshifting is way more fun than upshifting if both are DCed as a DC upshift is slowww compared. So I shift quick upshifting, single clutched and a rapid shift..... oh noes my poor little synchros will die a horrible fate. Well they have lasted 200,000 km on a mr2 which doesn't get driven slow so thats good enough for me.....
<3 fwd
mesaboogie18
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mesaboogie18 »

fa22raptorf22 wrote:

/rant.

Whoa whoa whoa, pump the brakes!!! This isn't my fist time at the rodeo with a manual transmission car my friend. Based on how the tranny is treated??? How do you know how I treat it? I know how to blip for downshifts. Double clutch on a synchronized transmission???? Ok Vin Diesel...fast and the furious much??? Sorry dude, I'm sure that somewhere in your post you might have been trying to be helpful, but you just insulted my intelligence and my ability to drive a standard shift car. I don't ride the clutch, I don't treat my car bad, I DO however drive it like the performance car it is. So next time try to answer my question instead of "ripping me a new one." :roll: Geez.
2004 VW GTI 1.8T

mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Cevrolet Caprice STW (at)

Post by mad_finn »

that's your clutch dieing there, replace clutvh and it will work like new again.
13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

mesaboogie18 wrote:
94Corolla5Speed wrote:You sure all those mods to the car and it's electrical systems haven't just caught up to you now? It is a MKIV 1.8T, not exactly the poster child for reliability stock, not to mention when it's modded...
The electrical system has nothing to do with my clutch, mods or tranny though...and my car hasn't had any serious electrical problems. Sure the one touch up/down power windows act up every once in a blue moon and the hatch release button on my key fob works when it wants, but my car has been very reliable. And as for reliability, the MKIV's are known to have electrical problems, BUT the motor and tranny on these cars are bullet proof. I just think that the extra power has finally caught up to the 60,000 mile clutch. I mean the car came with 174lb/ft torque and now I'm dishing out 248 WHEEL lb/ft torque...so my guess is clutch.s
The problem is that your clutch was designed to handle newton-meters and there you go stuphing foot-pounds through it. Can you imagine some German trying to bid at an auction where the spoken language is English? By the time he translates what is said, the bidding is over, or when he raises his hand to ask a question, he ends up buying something. You need to get a dual-unit clutch, or at least one that can handle English Standard units.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

mesaboogie18 wrote:Whoa whoa whoa, pump the brakes!!! This isn't my fist time at the rodeo with a manual transmission car my friend. Based on how the tranny is treated??? How do you know how I treat it?

I know how to blip for downshifts. Double clutch on a synchronized transmission???? Ok Vin Diesel...fast and the furious much???
That was a fail right there haha. You think you don't have to double clutch your 65 mph downshift????? think again.

Sorry dude, I'm sure that somewhere in your post you might have been trying to be helpful, but

you just insulted my intelligence and my ability to drive a standard shift car.
didn't mean to, but when make a f&f reference......what else am i going to do? Give me information that would prove otherwise

I don't ride the clutch, I don't treat my car bad, I DO however drive it like the performance car it is. So next time try to answer my question instead of "ripping me a new one." :roll: Geez.
Rope-Pusher wrote:The problem is that your clutch was designed to handle newton-meters and there you go stuphing foot-pounds through it.
That is one of the funniest things ive ever read about german cars ahaha