96 Accord clutch slips

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Re: 96 Accord clutch slips

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

Okay, I've never experienced a slipping clutch, but here's my $.02.
Rear crank seal or front main trans seal is worn to shit and the shafts are flinging oil all over the place and onto the clutch disc causing it to slip, the pressure plate is old/defective and isn't applying enough clamping force, you got conned and it's the same old clutch in there, or the least likely scenario, you're trying pushing more HP/tq through that clutch than it was ever designed to (meaning about 350HP+).

So my proposed fixes?
I'd say have them put it up on the lift and let you poke around under there, if any oil looks like it's dripping from the bell housing, then it's one of the seals. If it's very viscous, then it's gear lube, otherwise, it's engine oil. Second is easy, have them put in a new clutch kit. This comes with a clutch disc, pressure plate, and T/O bearing. Third is even easier, tell them you want to sit in the garage while they change it, be careful though, you might learn something. :P Last one is again, an easy fix, put in a stage 1 clutch, which is a lot grabbier than the stock clutch, but only do that if you're fully built and turboed, which I doubt.

Best option? If it's not the oil on the disc, I'd say get a nice like-stock Exedy or Sachs clutch kit. OEM stuff is almost always garbage. Just make sure you get a stock pressure kit (not sport or race) or you're going to find yourself stalling a lot more. :lol: