Stalling out on the highway mystery, and brakes advice?

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
sasquatch
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1972 Ford F250

Stalling out on the highway mystery, and brakes advice?

Post by sasquatch »

I'm a little stumped with this one. I was driving on the freeway in NM today to take my truck to get the brakes worked on when I hit some traffic. It was sort of stop-and-go, and I had to slow down, shift down, and ride 2nd gear for a short time, probably a solid minute. I didn't have to stop, but when I attempted to speed up again I found that my car wasn't responding to the gas pedal, panicked a second, glanced at my dashboard, and rushed to turn the ignition key back on. My car just flat out died, and luckily I caught it before other cars started darting around me making it harder, but it was kind of scary.

I'm a little worried about this. I'm wondering if it could be a carburetor problem and I may have to check that out, but figured I'd ask you guys here, too, if this sort of thing sounds familiar. I'm just hoping it's not anything worse than that, seeing as I just learned that my brakes aren't doing too well..

Which bring me to another question I have. When I went to get my shocks replaced I found out that my brakes are about to go. The front right is ground down dangerously far, and the rear left is so thin it might as well be paper, and could brake easily (weird). I'm planning on buying parts myself to bring to a mechanic here, - does anyone have advice on what parts are better than others brand-wise? I know that I need front (ceramic) pads, front disc rotors, front wheel seals, front disc hardware kit, rear brake shoes, rear grease/axle seal, and the list I have in front of me from the truck's check-up also lists a 'Carlson R Combination kit.' I do see that I can get the majority of this stuff at AutoZone, and while I don't want to spend a large sum of money (this is why I'm buying to parts myself in the first place) I also don't want to get something that would be so weak that it could be dangerous.

Any advice on these two things would be great! This is probably the most useful forum known to the world..
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Re: Stalling out on the highway mystery, and brakes advice?

Post by mtheis »

As far as the stalling, it sounds like the truck is running lean. I'd check the carb mixture, fuel filter, and fuel pump.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Why did you have to "turn the ignition key back on"? Was it off?

Turning it to "Start" doesn't do anything that leaving it in 2nd gear while rolling doesn't do. Using the electric starter to turn the engine and using the gears to turn the engine are the same thing, as far as starting the engine goes.

As for the brakes, I'm not sure why you would need a hardware kit for the disc brakes in the front, but you will almost certainly need one for the drum brakes in the rear. I don't know what a 'Carlson R Combination kit' is.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

theholycow wrote:As for the brakes, I'm not sure why you would need a hardware kit for the disc brakes in the front, but you will almost certainly need one for the drum brakes in the rear. I don't know what a 'Carlson R Combination kit' is.
Some discs, such as mine, have some sort of retaining clip that keeps the pads mounted to the caliper. They may be butterfly clips, spring-rod, or some combination thereof.

Brakes from any major autoparts store are fine. Autozone for example will give you a lifetime warranty on all Duralast pads.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Mine had a really annoying retaining clip, I re-used it...

4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

theholycow wrote:Why did you have to "turn the ignition key back on"? Was it off?
I think she just means she engaged the starter again.

As for the engine quitting problem I'm with mtheis. The first thing I thought of was lack of fuel either from the carb or the filter. I don't have too much experience on automotive carbs but I have worked on carbs on aircraft. If it's the same you can adjust the mixture right at the carb by finding the mixture screw and turning it counter-clockwise to enrich.

Again that's only if it's the same as A/C.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I wouldn't recommend playing with mixture on the carb first...that should be a last resort, it's a PITA to get right if you mess it up and it's not likely to be messed up.

If the key wasn't off and she meant she turned it to "start", then I agree on checking fuel supply.

Also check air supply.

LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

theholycow wrote:Also check air supply.
LOL

im with the air supply deal. whens the last time the air filter was replaced or at least cleaned? carbs are notorious for burning rich in the first place (which is why they are less efficient than FI) so im lean(lol)ing towards that its lack of oxygen, or perhaps lack of spark. since they do burn more fuel than necessary, the spark plugs get fouled much quicker. check airflow and plug foulage
sasquatch
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1972 Ford F250

Post by sasquatch »

Haha!
As for the brakes, I'm not sure why you would need a hardware kit for the disc brakes in the front, but you will almost certainly need one for the drum brakes in the rear. I don't know what a 'Carlson R Combination kit' is.

Ahhh. So, I found this out: NEVER go to Brake Masters. I don't think I've ever seen one on the East Coast or even in Middle America, but there are many in NM, and it turns out that this 'combination kit' they claimed was necessary was just another way to charge customers for unnecessary parts. They wanted to charge something like $60 for what theholycow and watkins suggested; a clip or maybe set of clips, that could be gotten at AutoZone for 6 bucks or so. I ended up buying all the parts including rotors at autozone for about $250, saving me about $369 on parts alone. They were nice enough, but no way could I deal with a $900 bill for break work!

I lucked out and a friend is going to teach me how to fix my own brakes Saturday, so it all worked out, but man.
If the key wasn't off and she meant she turned it to "start", then I agree on checking fuel supply.
That is exactly what I meant :)

I have no idea when the air filter was last cleaned or replaced, now I'm wondering how well the spark plugs are really doing. I suppose it's possible the carb could just be gummed up? In any case I'll give all those things a check...

Thanks to everyone for so much help!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

sasquatch wrote:I lucked out and a friend is going to teach me how to fix my own brakes Saturday,
Disc brakes are easy. I absolutely abhor drum brakes, but the last time I did them I was a dumb kid who wouldn't spend money on a hardware kit, take photos of how it went together, or use any amount of patience.
I have no idea when the air filter was last cleaned or replaced, now I'm wondering how well the spark plugs are really doing. I suppose it's possible the carb could just be gummed up? In any case I'll give all those things a check...
Air filter is incredibly easy and probably incredibly cheap. Spark plugs should be easy in that vehicle, just clean around them before removing so no junk gets in the hole. Carb can definitely be gummed up, broken, or otherwise messed up.

Now that I'm thinking about carburetors and the crap that's hooked up to them: A vacuum leak might possibly be able to cause the stalling...I think.