Shifter vibration

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

Shifter vibration

Post by ihartmacz »

I've got a 2000 GS (2.4), manual trans, 120K miles.

It's been snowing and slippery here in Nebraska so needless to say I have spun my wheels some, which maybe the cause of my problems.

Today the snow was melting and the streets were clear so I decided to give the Eclipse a foot-full of gas in 1st and 2nd gear. At around 4500+ RPM the shifter started vibrating violently and made some very objectionable noises (kind of like a rubbing, not a grinding or a whine) so I slowed down. The same happens in 2nd gear as well. The transmission still shifts quickly, easily and silently into 1st, 2nd, and all other gears at any speed so it leads me to think that the syncros are still in good shape. Also, the noise and vibration is only RPM based and not speed based, so the differential and it's carriers are okay. I'm thinking maybe the axle, shifter linkage, clutch, or transmission mount?

Also, the clutch seems to engage well and not slip and no noise is ever present, you can even start in 3rd but the pedal does make noise. I have had to rebuild the slave cylinder, but it never stopped making the noise. ! The thing is, though, that it's hard to get a smooth start unless you give it a lot of gas (keep RPMs at 1500 or 2000), and the pedal is pretty vague (yes, its bled).

Any insights? I'm kind of worried about it since I don't want to chase my tail with this car. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Shifter vibration

Post by theholycow »

ihartmacz wrote:Also, the noise and vibration is only RPM based and not speed based, so the differential and it's carriers are okay. I'm thinking maybe the axle, shifter linkage, clutch, or transmission mount?
Probably not the axle, then...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ihartmacz »

I'm also going to check the exhaust, it seems to have been getting louder and louder. Maybe something is making contact? I think on the Eclipse the shifter mechanism and exhaust tubing is close.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

check motor\transmission mounts. are they static? hydraulic?
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ihartmacz »

It is the mounts, trying to find those bitches now.

If the scrap yard doesn't have them in good condition, I'm getting these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor-Mo ... 587cb79832
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"