performance chip

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: performance chip

Post by watkins »

T5 and T7 suite are most certainly amazing. I need to get myself a 3" DP and toss a tune at the Viggen.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

watkins wrote:T5 and T7 suite are most certainly amazing. I need to get myself a 3" DP and toss a tune at the Viggen.
+1 especially for the Saab T-series ECU's. so fr(v)iggen flexible
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Free, highly-supported, fully customizable tuning software is virtually unheard of.
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Thats the case for most Saabs. The basic block and hardware was the same for 20ish years with only a few ECU changes. For all I know, the same block is still in use. I just dont care about 2003+ Saabs.
Cm452
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Stg 3+ Saab 9-3

Post by Cm452 »

Saabs have the only free, open source, comprehensive tuning software on the planet-bar none. This plus it is relatively easy to do. The only bad part is that it is very addicting and will soon take over a significant portion of your life as it did mine. I'd be in class and tweaking my maps and drooling over how I can change any variable an engine could come across for whatever performance I needed instead of paying attention :oops: . This, plus the fact if you didnt already spend money on your car, when you have T5 suite (the tuning program) you REALLY want to buy go fast parts!!!
-Cm
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

theholycow wrote:Image Ok, that makes sense. I agree, while there are plenty of chips there may not be any for Cavaliers.
I like how teh emoticons shake hands. That is all.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Come to think of it, I have a cow handshake smiley too: Image

So, questions for you Saabers about that software:

Can it pull trouble codes?
Can it pull subsystem trouble codes like ABS?
Can it work with pre-OBDII Saabs?
For pre-OBDII Saabs, can it get and display live data?
If so, can it display instant average MPG, and/or keep logs?
Also for pre-OBDII Saabs, can it pull trouble codes, and subsystem codes?

You weirdos may convert me yet.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Cm452
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Cm452 »

It can do all of that and more, and of you call in the next 1......... seriously, if you get live dashboard (free as well) and hook your laptop up via a canbus you can do anything IN CAR, while it is running, in fact it even concerts to liters per hour when you are stopped.
Yes, it is godly.
-Cm
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I thought of another one: Can it adjust turbo behavior? I don't know if there's non-turbo Saabs, and if I had a turbo Saab I wouldn't want to remove the turbo, but I bet most of the time I'd want to drive without it. I like my low RPM heavy throttle habit, damnit! I'm not in any hurry, I don't need to go fast, but I want low RPM+heavy throttle unless it sacrifices too much fuel economy...

watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Turbo behavior is primarily right foot based. Since the factory tune is boost limited electronically, Im sure there are ways to modulate the boost limits via T5/T7 Suite
Cm452
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Cm452 »

I have no idea, and I am being sincere, why in heavens name you would want lethargic, doggish behaviour, with horribly fuel economy, and minimal acceleration all for the sake off.....an idea? A sensation? Some weird self gratification? It would seem you should get an old tercel or something wickedly slow. They are very fun to floor, can't really get yourself in trouble-I dont see the point of reigning in a cars potential in favor of crapctacular performance. A Saab wth no turbo is no fun, however, you can make the computer request 0 boost, in which case it'll dump the wastegate. Anyway, you're weird.
-Cm
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Cm452 wrote:Anyway, you're weird.
He is a cow after all
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

if you tuned waste gate to stay shut there would be very little boost at low rpms and a high boost threshold and would still pack a good amount of air in there. that would probably suit your heavy footed habit
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Cm452 wrote:I have no idea, and I am being sincere, why in heavens name you would want lethargic, doggish behaviour, with horribly fuel economy, and minimal acceleration
Lethargic, doggish behavior and minimal acceleration won't bother me. I mostly drive that way anyway. I'm in no hurry and I can't afford the insurance increase from speeding tickets.

I don't think un-turboing a turbo car would reduce its fuel economy compared to just staying out of boost with your right foot. If we're talking about open throttle normally aspirated driving I've found it to be extremely efficient, far more than light throttle. YMMV.
all for the sake off.....an idea? A sensation? Some weird self gratification?
It's how I roll. Why do you want lively, maximal acceleration? You're not going to get to your destination 50% sooner just because you can go from 0 to 60 in 7 seconds. You don't really have anything tangible to gain. It's just what you enjoy.
It would seem you should get an old tercel or something wickedly slow.
My Rabbit is perfect for me in this regard. I always floor it except when cruising. I get phenomenal fuel economy (up to 150% of EPA without any other efforts), a quiet smooth ride from low RPM torque, I get to shift really fast, and I get to adjust my acceleration by my shift pattern instead of my right foot. It's plenty fast when I want to be. Once in a blue moon I want to go fast, so I take it up to 3000 or 4000 RPM and it pulls like a V8 of yesteryear.

A Tercel or something wickedly slow would put me past 3000 RPM or maybe even 4000 RPM on a daily basis. No thanks. I don't want to hear or feel the engine. I wouldn't mind feeling the clutch through the clutch pedal and the transmission through the shifter, though. Anyway, it'd be totally uncomfortable and I'd hate sitting in it regardless of how it drives. Comfort is even more important to me than driving dynamics.

However, I mostly expect to be in something wickedly slow anyway, because of TCO calculations; unless the right deal turns up for something else, I'll probably be in a mid/late-1990s Ford Ranger 4 cylinder after my Rabbit. A 2WD regular cab I4 5MT Ranger weighs about the same as my Rabbit. My Rabbit has 170hp and 177 ft-lb; the Ranger may have 100-117hp and 133-149 ft-lb.

So, if I come up with the right deal on a Saab, I'd like to know that I can get the driving dynamics I want even if it means going wickedly slow.

Besides, this kind of discussion helps me understand how this stuff works better.
you can make the computer request 0 boost, in which case it'll dump the wastegate. Anyway, you're weird.
-Cm
LHOswald wrote:if you tuned waste gate to stay shut there would be very little boost at low rpms and a high boost threshold and would still pack a good amount of air in there. that would probably suit your heavy footed habit
Sounds interesting. With little boost at low RPM, does that mean it won't go ridiculously rich when I lay the hammer down?

LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

theholycow wrote:
Cm452 wrote:I have no idea, and I am being sincere, why in heavens name you would want lethargic, doggish behaviour, with horribly fuel economy, and minimal acceleration
Lethargic, doggish behavior and minimal acceleration won't bother me. I mostly drive that way anyway. I'm in no hurry and I can't afford the insurance increase from speeding tickets.

I don't think un-turboing a turbo car would reduce its fuel economy compared to just staying out of boost with your right foot. If we're talking about open throttle normally aspirated driving I've found it to be extremely efficient, far more than light throttle. YMMV.
having a turbo there boosts fuel economy because it helps atomize the air in the cylinder. its probably minimal but hey, gradual steps are all we've got...until they come out with that goddamn 6-stroke engine i've been wanting so bad...
LHOswald wrote:if you tuned waste gate to stay shut there would be very little boost at low rpms and a high boost threshold and would still pack a good amount of air in there. that would probably suit your heavy footed habit
theholycow wrote:Sounds interesting. With little boost at low RPM, does that mean it won't go ridiculously rich when I lay the hammer down?
its all about the tune. if you have a good tune on it it will never go very rich as long as the o2 sensors are working