performance chip

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: performance chip

Post by theholycow »

LHOswald wrote:until they come out with that goddamn 6-stroke engine i've been wanting so bad...
Are you talking about the one with the water stroke? Have we had this discussion before?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crower_six_stroke

1st stroke: intake of air and fuel
2nd stroke: compression of air and fuel
3rd stroke: power
4th stroke: exhaust of air and fuel
5th stroke: injection of distilled water into cylinder. this causes rapid expansion of the water into steam because of extreme heat caused by the just fired gasoline in the cylinder. this is the 2nd power stroke
6th stroke: exhaust of steam.

1. six stroke = win
2. ???
3. profit
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Yes, that's exactly the one I was thinking of. That idea sounds like win to me.

LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

only problem is that the condenser it would take to regain the water it used back would make wayyyy to much backpressure. either that or you just fill up with distilled water everytime you fill up your gas. and your carrying around pretty much a full tank a fuel and a full tank of water.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I'm sure there are other possible condenser designs, however I figured you'd just fill up like gas.

LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

there are other designs but Crower's 6-stroke design is the only one that looks promising enough to be put through to actual production. i don't think the condenser thing is a good idea but at the same time i don't think people would want to fill up with distilled water as much as they do gas.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Unfortunately you're probably right...people won't even make the most easy minor changes to their habits to save significant amounts of money on gas.

watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Not that it would ever happen do to the potential legal issues, but a separate pump with a split nozzle is an option. The top half could dispense gas, the bottom water to avoid getting water in the fuel lines. The other way around probably wouldnt matter. It would only fit into the filler neck one direction of course. So long as the pumps put out the same amount of each, the engine used gas and water at the same rate, and the vehicles tanks were the same size, it could work.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

If such nozzle system were to be installed at the gas pump that also pumps distiller water, I would imagine that the premium charged for that water (to offset integration and implementation costs) along with the initial cost of the new engine technology itself has potential to offset any potential savings you would see. Or it simplymY take many years to recoup those costs and start actually saving.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

paul34 wrote:The problem is that a lot of people will think "oh I can just save money by filling up the water tank with my hose!" Many people do not understand the difference between distilled water and regular water.
Perhaps make some sort of electronic lock as used in old GMs for key coding that will not allow anything besides the special nozzle to be put into the filler. This would also do away with gas caps (which is happening anyway)
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

They could just f*ck off. Gas prices would have to drop a bit. Additionally, gas and water would have to be listed as a single price, not separately.
Cm452
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Stg 3+ Saab 9-3

Post by Cm452 »

To track this again; 1) If you fuse the WG shut, it'll spool faster, and develop boost faster, and therefore accelerate faster-in this regard, the person who said shutting the WG would result in a slower car you=wrong. An open wastegate makes the car operate as an NA car, in my case I am way short on power off boost.
2) No, the trionic system relies on a complex data feed with which it makes calculations, in a car with trionic 5, it measures air via manifold pressure, if the pressure is at the most equal to atmosphere(=0 boost) it adds the exact amount of fuel to the amount of inflowing air. Mapping the car to optimize it for your needs would be exceedingly easy. In fact, if you buy a Saab I'll tune it for free. I can retard timing, make the computer ditch boost, and shift down your maps for a more NA use environment, and I promise you,you'll be able to punch it and it wont get anywhere too fast.
-Cm
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

i was the one who said if the wastegate was shut you wouldn't go faster. but obviously you missed what i said so i guess ill say it again.

if the wastegate is shut (therefore spooling the turbine as fast as possible) at low rpms the boost threshold is pushed farther up the RPM band (because the wastegate is shut) causing you to hit some turbo lag and therefore not move you as fast. im sure if you kept it floored in a high gear after you hit about 2.5k-3k rpms you would notice a considerable boost in acceleration, but lower than 2k and it would be pretty sluggish
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Hmm...that could possibly work for me. The only time I get the Rabbit up to 2500 is if I'm in the kind of hurry where I'd appreciate the turbo; most days I don't exceed 2000. If there's any kind of non-spooled torque at all, that could work.

LHOswald
Master Standardshifter

Post by LHOswald »

idk why all cars don't have a VVT system. its so friggin inexpensive to do but so worth it.