Throw-out Bearing - 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
DriedMoss
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Nissan 350Z

Throw-out Bearing - 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring

Post by DriedMoss »

This topic is related to my 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring.

A noise coming from my transmission when the clutch is out sounds like a cup of bolts rattling about. I did some asking around and I was directed to the Throw-out Bearing as a possible cause.

The noise abates completely when the clutch is pushed in.

From my limited understanding - the throw-out bearing helps to engage and disengage the clutch, so does it get changed out at the same time as the clutch?
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Re: Throw-out Bearing - 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring

Post by LHOswald »

im assuming when you say "it makes the noise when my clutch is out" you mean its out in neutral at a stop right? a rattling sound when the clutch is out in neutral at a stop is usually caused by a twin disk clutch rattling around and the two disks hitting each other....i think
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

It's possible for it to be a throwout bearing. Mine did that on my old VW when it was cold out - say below 40*. It was replaced by the dealer once, however that did not cure the issue.

Do you still have a warranty left on your car? I would check with the dealer and point them to a possibility of the TOB to be at fault.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Throwout bearing noise should start when you push the clutch in, not stop.

I have a whirring noise in my '93 'Vette in the same conditions you describe. I've seen suggestions it could be anything from an input shaft bearing to gear whine/rattle to clutch rattle on vehicles with multiplate clutches to a selector fork.

The throwout bearing is traditionally replaced at the same time as the clutch. Most of the cost of a clutch job is in pulling the engine, transmission, and/or the combination, depending on what the procedure is for a particular car. As inexpensive as the bearing is, it's cheap insurance against having to do the pull a second time.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If there is a lot of drag in the release bearing, due to the seal or cold lube, it can slip relative to the clutch cover diaphragm spring fingers and make noise until you press the pedal and load the release bearing harder against the fingers. This usually goes away after it warms up a bit.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

i had the same exact problem on my 97 maxima SE...clutch in - no noise, clutch out - whirring noise. i just finally got around to getting it taken care of this week because i realized my axle had at least an inch of play in it and was leaking.

it ended up being the differential bearings (although i believe the input shaft bearing, specifically, is the cause of the noise...i think). i bought a bearing kit and had them all replaced, along with my clutch, by a mechanic from the maxima forums.

in my experience (2 hondas and a nissan), a throwout bearing noise is more like a chirp than a whirring sound.

i'd definitely have it looked at by someone who has experience with nissans

check this thread out:
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generation ... aring.html
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

IMBoring25 wrote:Throwout bearing noise should start when you push the clutch in, not stop.
A reputable dealer agreed with me that it's TOB when my VW had a metallic rattle on a cold start with ambiet temp below 40. Push in the clutch it went away. Was gone completely when warmed up. They replaced the TOB, yet the issue was still there.

Maybe you're right after all.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

the throwout bearing pushes the diaphragm spring which causes the clutch disk to come off the flywheel. if it was the throwout bearing making the noise, technically the only thing that would cause it is if the throwout bearing wasn't slightly against the diaphragm spring, causing it to rattle. if anything i would think the diaphragm spring is worn so it isn't coming out all the way to contact the release bearing, and thats causing the rattle.

but then again i know nothing about cars lol