Really at a Loss!!! Please need help

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
csimmons83
Junior Standardshifter

Really at a Loss!!! Please need help

Post by csimmons83 »

Ok i live in NC and we had a snow storm i managed to get my 2005 zx3 stuck tried rocking it out to the the point where it started to smell like something burning ended up getting towed out...after that i finished my drive home which was a good 8 to 10 miles from where i was with no problems ran through all the gears and all was fine even acceleration was normal. i did not need my car till late evening on the next day so i got it and went to depress the the clutch and it hardly moved (so car wouldn"t start cause it would not engage the starter switch) so not really thinking about it i tried to press it a few more times and then gave one final push and "pop" the pedal went straight to the floor and fluid spilled out i had popped out the "seal" on the master clutch cylinder so next day went and bought a new one took the old one out put the new one in bled the lines and the clutch is once again very hard to push i went through and bled the line again cause it seems like pressure is building up it works fine for the initial start of the car and engages enough after that to change the gears but there is no power almost like half in neutral and half in gear..there is no odd noises or anything the car just hardly moves and if i press on the accelerator to much the engine just revs really high with no power?

I know this is a lot to read but am just looking for some insight on why the pressure is building so high in the master clutch cylinder or the whole system itself?
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Really at a Loss!!! Please need help

Post by watkins »

Use punctuation!

You probably fried the clutch. Could be that its just horribly glazed and will wear off, or it could be much worse. Other clutch bits could also be messed up from your adventures
csimmons83
Junior Standardshifter

Post by csimmons83 »

Sorry about that i am usually very good about punctuating, am just frustrated i guess.

Thank you for the quick response, but if something was really messed up then why didn't it start immediately after getting back on the road?

Or if it is the glazing that you mentioned how to you "wear it off"? Just drive it around?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

The clutch seemed fine on his way home and the burning smell may have been the tires he was spinning.

Hard to say. If you're saying that the car moves but doesn't move as it should, it seems that the clutch is slipping excessively. Perhaps you have a mechanical issue that was preventing the clutch from actuating, which resulted in the blown clutch master. I'd get it towed to a shop at this point, based on what you describe.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I was unable to read it. I saw some key words and made shit up as I went.

Since you seem to have managed to read what he said, Ill second your opinion.
csimmons83
Junior Standardshifter

Post by csimmons83 »

Thanks AHTOXA, although i was really hoping it was something a little more simpler.

But yeah the car drove as normal as always on the way home, it wasn't until after it sat through the rest of the frigid night and the next day/evening when i needed to use it did this become an issue..

Just kinda wish i had an idea of the pressure build up so i am not going into a shop blind.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

When your car sat over night, were the temps freezing?

I'm just thinking a crazy thought that for some strange reason the deep snow you got stuck in has been packed somewhere and froze, creating this issue. Weird, I know but just wondering.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
csimmons83
Junior Standardshifter

Post by csimmons83 »

Yes the temps were freezing, and i am sure there was some snow and water in places just from what was thrown up by driving that probably would have froze but all that has melted away now.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:I'm just thinking a crazy thought that for some strange reason the deep snow you got stuck in has been packed somewhere and froze, creating this issue. Weird, I know but just wondering.
+1. Spinning your tires kicked up a bunch of snow (and maybe some mud) into every crevice of your car; some may have found its way to the clutch. It was fine while you were driving because everything was warm and moving, but once you parked it froze.

You could probably try using a hair dryer to heat clutch parts and see if it helps, if it does then you know where to look.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

AHTOXA wrote:When your car sat over night, were the temps freezing?

I'm just thinking a crazy thought that for some strange reason the deep snow you got stuck in has been packed somewhere and froze, creating this issue. Weird, I know but just wondering.
Happened to my dad once. Auto, but still, case in point.
Dad and I were headed out somewhere, he goes to put the truck in drive, and we both hear an odd popping noise.
Still haven't had the time to fix it, but... Half the time, it will read reverse on the dash when it's in park, and occasionally even though in park, it thinks it's in reverse and won't start unless you bump it into neutral.

It was all because of the damned snow.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Cm452
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Stg 3+ Saab 9-3

Post by Cm452 »

I think I know what may have happened. You may have overheated the pressure plate or some other antagonist that caused your PP "fingers" to fail. Thus, when you hit the clutch you fully extended the slave, and since it did not return you kept priming it with more fluid until you reached a static state. You then pushed too hard and the fluid burst out the weakest link. At least, when you say the pedal didnt move, as in it was so hard it would yield then my answer makes sense. If it compresses, but is super hard, then I think that maybe your TO bearing may be seized from the cold or something else???
-Cm