Help me out!

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Help me out!

Post by ColJessip »

My and a freind of mine bought an old 2 stroke dirtbike for $100. They guy said it started 2 years ago but he hasnt tried to start it yet. So we get it home, drain the old fuel and mix up some new gas/oil, took the filter off the carb and cleaned it. Then went to start it. After a few tries it started up with the choke on fully, then when we went to unchoke it. It immediatly stalled. So we tried to slowly let the choke off, after about 3/4 of the way off, it stalled. It runs perfectly at 1/2 choke stalling wise. Its just lifeless when you try to ride it like that. Oh yea, whenever it stalls after I un-choke it, some smoke puffs out of the carb if that matters.
Last edited by ColJessip on Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Help me out!

Post by theholycow »

It's got a carburetor. Might as well forget it, it's got a similar ratio of fun:pain as a woman.

Is that Toothgnip in your avatar pic?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

You need to take apart the carb and clean it out... especially if it had old fuel sitting in it. I've rebuilt a few of these back in the day. Carb cleaner is your friend (might need a rebuild kit too).

If the thing only runs with the choke on, then the engine isn't receiving much of any fuel (runs lean as f**k).
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

ColJessip wrote:took the filter off the carb and cleaned it
Does this mean you cleaned the carb or the filter? Definitely after two years the carb will need a thorough cleaning.

theholycow wrote:It's got a carburetor. Might as well forget it, it's got a similar ratio of fun:pain as a woman.
And don't listen to this guy. :wink: :lol:
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

padauk_dust wrote:
ColJessip wrote:took the filter off the carb and cleaned it
Does this mean you cleaned the carb or the filter? Definitely after two years the carb will need a thorough cleaning.
My bad, didn't notice the ambiguity. I cleaned the filter... However with the choke open, the carb doesn't look that dirty So I figured I didn't have to clean it.
mtheis
Master Standardshifter

Post by mtheis »

ColJessip wrote:However with the choke open, the carb doesn't look that dirty So I figured I didn't have to clean it.
Did you even read my post?
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Official lurker
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

Naw dawg my teim machin wuz brokee
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

mtheis wrote:You need to take apart the carb and clean it out... especially if it had old fuel sitting in it. I've rebuilt a few of these back in the day. Carb cleaner is your friend (might need a rebuild kit too).

If the thing only runs with the choke on, then the engine isn't receiving much of any fuel (runs lean as f**k).
QFT!

Y'know what happens to gasoline with ethanol in it (which is very common) when it sits for a long time?
It kind of congeals. Even ethanol-free gasoline gets incredibly nasty after a while.

If you haven't totally drained all the old gas out of the tank yet, do it.
Try cleaning the carb. If it comes down to it, disassemble it (if necessary) enough to make sure any liquid you dunk it in will hit all the parts, and drop it in a tub of kerosene (or gas, for that matter) for three or four days.
(Note: I have no idea how kerosene might effect the innards of said carburetor. I don't know what all the components are made of. If it's your standard diaphragm carb, I have no clue how kerosene would effect rubber.)

That said, if it's your standard diaphragm carb like you have on say, a pushmower for instance...
Those rubber diaphragms are complete and utter shit and wear out waaaaaaaaaay too often. I can only imagine the effect that old gas would have on one.

If nothing else works you may need a rebuild kit.

Even if cleaning it does help, it may need adjusted. Normally, that's not so bad.
However, if you take Murphy's Law into account... (It once took me over an hour to adjust a Briggs and Stratton engine on a pushmower.)

Good luck, my friend!
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
mtheis
Master Standardshifter

Post by mtheis »

comingbackdown wrote:However, if you take Murphy's Law into account... (It once took me over an hour to adjust a Briggs and Stratton engine on a pushmower.)
Those motors are a pain in the ass anyway.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Official lurker
kamesama980
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kamesama980 »

if it sat for 2 years with gas in it you WILL need to take out every part of the carb, replace the soft parts (o-rings, diaphram if equipped, gaskets) and manually clean out every orifice and passage, possibly get new jets altogether (they're cheap enough) I got a bike a few years ago in the same situation: not started in 1.5 yrs and last time it ran, it barely ran. needed all the jets and a couple hours of work.

BTW easy off oven cleaner will cut through the crap in the carb in seconds. Wash it off with water in under 5 minutes or it'll start to oxidize the aluminum too. and wear gloves or you'll get chemical burns from it.
-Russ
2012 Nissan Frontier 4.0l M6 4x4
1990 Toyota Cressida 3.0l M5
1994 Pontiac Firebird LT1 M6
1970 Volkwagen Beetle M4
1990 Suzuki VX800 SM5