Crazy Hydraulic Debacle

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
Cm452
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Stg 3+ Saab 9-3

Crazy Hydraulic Debacle

Post by Cm452 »

Posted this on the Saab forums-struggled to get closure so I figured why not try here :wink: I've a Saab, with a hydraulic clutch system that shares with the reservoir on the brake master. Anyway, couple weeks ago pedal got more and more play, and caught lower and lower to the floor. I gleaned from my Saab forum that I needed a new clutch master. So, after a PITA!!! job I got the new master in and bled it successfully. The thing let out ridiculously high, meaning it caught at the way top. Eventually it degraded to catching off the floor again, and needing to be pumped to get into gear-driving in stop and go was fine, but if I wasnt working the pedal it went to the floor and stayed. I rebled the system several times with the same result. Finally paid a mech to do it-now it just sticks to the floor and requires persistent pumping to do anything like shifting. Fluid has not dropped one bit. Upon examination the slave boot is totally dry, so is the master. The mech said my slave was shot and was pulling in air from the seals, which is why I have to bleed it for it to only go dead in 15 miles. To avoid a 1k tranny drop and general clutch job to replace the slave I investigated again. When I pulled the line from the reservoir itself-meaning no lines attached to the reservoir- I got one drop. Despite there being a nipple that should piss fluid, nothing came out. So I figure maybe it is clogged and therefore the MC can't adequately prime the lines and slave? I poked around with a paper clip, but in case there was a check valve I didnt push hard. Do reservoirs have check valves? What is going on here, my hands are cracked and in pain from brake fluid and Im tired of diagnosing in my cold ass garage. HELP!
Thanks in advance,
-Cm
Cm452
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Crazy Hydraulic Debacle

Post by Cm452 »

Anybody?
-Cm
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Image Either go back to the mechanic who you already paid and ask him to make the thing fixed, or start throwing parts at it?

If it's the slave, time to drop the tranny. Really, $1000 to do that?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

your mechanic is expensive as hell

i had my transmission rebuilt and only paid ~$700 for labor and parts (full bearing kit, seals, clutch)
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
Cm452
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Cm452 »

84 per hour, and its more like 630-but im having the flywheel resurfaced for my hi-po PP/disc, and the slave. This and its a damn trans axel that requires the subframe dropped and the engine levered about its mounts :( :|. That said, my reservoir is compartmentalized, but shares fluid. I pressurized it today and air came out the bottom, despite it being full. For those who arent familiar, there is a reservoir on my brake MC, which shares the fluid with the clutch. This reservoir has a tube that comes out the bottom to which you attach the line that goes to the clutch master. Nothing is coming out of that tube.
-Cm