95 jetta wont start.

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
skylark
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1991 honda civic- 4 speed

95 jetta wont start.

Post by skylark »

Hay im having a problem with my jetta. I haven't driven it in a while because of a unrelated issue(previous post show details). However, some one is interested in buying it and fixing it. The battery is new and tried to start it yesterday. The engine turned over a couple of times and for a few seconds was starting to run. I gave it gas a bit and the engine died. The engine was able to turn over some more but it wouldn't start. There was a smell of old gas. I havent driven it sense may of last year. We decided to try it this morning and the car wont even turn over. Any idea what is wrong. I have been starting is up every few weeks sence i parked it and had no problems.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: 95 jetta wont start.

Post by theholycow »

If it won't turn over today, I'd say something must have drained the battery. Did you check its voltage?

For what happened yesterday, old gas shouldn't be the cause; I've used older gas in various cars, they all handle it fine. Lawnmowers don't like old gas though. If it sat with a dead battery for a year, it may have some re-learning to do, which may only work if you drive it. That's a best-case scenario I guess.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
skylark
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1991 honda civic- 4 speed

Post by skylark »

the battery was dead yesterday and took it to autozone. the battery was bad and they exchanged it. The new battery was checked and I think it had 13volts and passed load tests. What could be wrong with the car that it would kill the battery?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

A short circuit somewhere in the car could drain the battery quickly and prevent it from running. It could be caused by a mouse nest or just corrosion.

You need to check the battery voltage now, not yesterday. Do you not have some sort of volt meter?

Can you make the headlights come on? Do they look dim?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

also, you drive a Volkswagen