Tools To Start Working On Cars?

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Re: Tools To Start Working On Cars?

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

FDSpirit wrote:Thanks for the info! I've got basic tools, which were a gift from the girlfriend. I've purchased a few more here and there for brake jobs and a few other things. That may just be my "at home" toolset. I may go with Matco for school since they seem to offer cheaper tools compared to Snap-On.
"Gear Wrench" makes great tools for the price as well, although I am very fond of Snap-On.
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

I am patiently awaiting the arrival of my tool chest. Got it on sale for a wicked price but had to take a rain check. It should be coming in next week.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I have $2200 of discounted Matco coming my way. I am very excited. Though to be honest, nearly everything I bought is just sockets and wrenches.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I'm probably going to buy this cheapo transmission jack for my project:
http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-cap ... 39178.html
Any comments? Will the 450 pound rating suffice for my 125 pound TH350 and my 75 pound T5?

Any guesses why most transmission jacks are rated for 1500-3000 pounds when transmissions weigh 75-200 pounds?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

theholycow wrote:I'm probably going to buy this cheapo transmission jack for my project:
Any comments? Will the 450 pound rating suffice for my 125 pound TH350 and my 75 pound T5?

Any guesses why most transmission jacks are rated for 1500-3000 pounds when transmissions weigh 75-200 pounds?
because most people dont use them for normal car transmissions im assuming. only big tractor trailer transmissions or f-350 transmissions and the like. im sure whoever replaced my clutch when the PO had it just muscled it into place and messed the alignment up a tad. hence my clutch chatter.
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

theholycow wrote:I'm probably going to buy this cheapo transmission jack for my project:

That is a very nice tranny jack. Nice and secure with the belt as well.

Most people just put the car on jack stands and then use a normal jack and a slab of wood to support the tranny on. The wood add to the stability as the transmission metal will dig into it.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Maybe I'll try taking them out with the regular jacks I already own, as you say with a piece of wood...then see if I want a tranny jack to install the T5. It's almost light enough to wrestle into place sans jack.

theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I bought one of these for $10:

I think it's gonna suck, though. I expect that it's geared all wrong, either too short (so I have to squeeze it a million times per revolution) or too tall (so I can't get any good torque out of it).

If not, it may be nice in places where I can't get a lot of wrench throw room.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Who needs a trans jack? My buddy was taking manual trans off of old RWD van. Laying under the van on jack stands, he unbolted it and attempted to slide trans rearward to clear clutch still bolted to crank. When he got it back far enough, input shaft came out clear from clutch and he was suddenly supporting the entire trans weight and it was cast iron case, not aluminimum, so much heavier than he figured on. Trans came dropping down, just missing his forehead, and drove the backs of his hands into the cement driveway. He passed out from the pain. Came to still under the car, trans still pinning his hands to the driveway. No broken bones! It's good to have someone around to call for help when you work on a car / under a car.

Myself, I've used small floor jack with board to support trans and lower it down. Then slid/rolled it off the jack so I had clearance to slide it out from under the car.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Who needs a trans jack? My buddy was taking manual trans off of old RWD van. Laying under the van on jack stands, he unbolted it and attempted to slide trans rearward to clear clutch still bolted to crank. When he got it back far enough, input shaft came out clear from clutch and he was suddenly supporting the entire trans weight and it was cast iron case, not aluminimum, so much heavier than he figured on. Trans came dropping down, just missing his forehead, and drove the backs of his hands into the cement driveway. He passed out from the pain. Came to still under the car, trans still pinning his hands to the driveway. No broken bones! It's good to have someone around to call for help when you work on a car / under a car.

Myself, I've used small floor jack with board to support trans and lower it down. Then slid/rolled it off the jack so I had clearance to slide it out from under the car.
Now that just sounds like a situation that was not well thought out.

Glad no one was really hurt.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

fa22raptorf22 wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Who needs a trans jack? My buddy was taking manual trans off of old RWD van. Laying under the van on jack stands, he unbolted it and attempted to slide trans rearward to clear clutch still bolted to crank. When he got it back far enough, input shaft came out clear from clutch and he was suddenly supporting the entire trans weight and it was cast iron case, not aluminimum, so much heavier than he figured on. Trans came dropping down, just missing his forehead, and drove the backs of his hands into the cement driveway. He passed out from the pain. Came to still under the car, trans still pinning his hands to the driveway. No broken bones! It's good to have someone around to call for help when you work on a car / under a car.

Now that just sounds like a situation that was not well thought out.

Glad no one was really hurt.
Beer may or may not have been involved during the course of his repair job, but there was NO beer involved them time he went up on the garage roof during a thunderstorm and.......he learned NEVER to do that again. Interesting characters don't just have one interesting moment in their lives.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

Got my tool chest last week. It's nothing fancy but it's all I need and I got it for a good price:

Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

Back on topic for a second: One thing you will be glad you had from the first time you use it: oil filter strap wrench. Last oil change, I would've given my left nut to know there was one in the back seat of the Merc. Image
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I finally bought one of these:

watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I just use channel locks and/or a screw driver and hammer. I very much take Alton Brown's approach to tools: no single function tools allowed