99 Isuzu Rodeo clutch pilot bearing

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
hammerhead8819
Junior Standardshifter

99 Isuzu Rodeo clutch pilot bearing

Post by hammerhead8819 »

Have a 99 Isuzu Rodeo that the piot bearing keeps pulling out of the clutch. It has been changed twice and it will come out after 4 or 5 shifts need help troubleshooting what is causing this problem
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: 99 Isuzu Rodeo clutch pilot bearing

Post by theholycow »

Funny you should post this now, I was just reading up on pilot bearings.

Here's some awful vague guesses from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about:
- Bellhousing not fastened securely to transmission or engine
- Pilot bearing not fit tightly enough to crankshaft
- Input shaft loose
- Transmission installed with spacer so you need a longer pilot bushing or input shaft

Someone who actually knows what they're talking about please answer this dude, because I obviously have no clue (and need to learn).
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

have you replaced the clutch along with the bearing? if not the hole where its supposed to fit over the springs might have worn itself out and its popping out after a little bit.

edit: i misread that as a throw-out, not a pilot. lol. the pilot bearing is there to do what it says it does, pilot. think of a crankshaft for instance. if there was only one bearing in there, when it was spinning near its redline (anywhere from 6-9k rpms) it would be wobbling all over the place and crack or blow itself up. it needs bearings at different ends of the shaft to remain in a solid position but still rotate freely. all the pilot bearing does is keep the input shaft of the transmission aligned where its supposed to be instead of wobbling all over the place.

how do you mean its popping out? is it damaged when you take it out? or do you just pop it back in and try to pump the pedal again?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

piVot bearing? Like the ballstud that the clutch release bearing fork pivots on? There is usually a clip to hold the fork onto the pivot ball. Pivot balls often have plastic cap, to resist squeaking, but I've seen caps crack off and then the fork pocket fits too loosely and it's the end of the world as we know it.

Otherwise, me no unnerstan. Pilot bearing usually sits in pocket on the back side of the crankshaft and has a whole in the scinter that accepts the turned-down nose on the end of the transsexual input shaft. If everything is designed properly, the bearing cant come out of the pocket in the end of the crank because the input shaft keeps it pinned in there. RWD manual trans need the pilot bearing because the input shaft is cantilevered out into the bellhousing. On FWD, the transmission input shaft is so long that it has two bearings supported by the halves of the transmission case and doesn't wobble around as much. If you tried to pilot it, the alignment of the trans to the engine would be critical or you would risk bending the crankshaft to get the three bearings to align.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"