Clutch pedal....oddness

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Clutch pedal....oddness

Post by FDSpirit »

This is weird. I've never actually felt this as I was releasing the clutch. I don't know if it's ever been present, or if it just showed up. I was getting ready to launch and brought the clutch up to the friction point, but as I paused, the pedal seemed to keep going without me lifting my leg. Like only a wee bit, but I wasn't doing anything to it :? . The launch was a little rough because I got distracted. But here's the kicker, the pedal does the same thing when the car is off. I checked the clutch fluid reservoir, not low. Same level as when it was bled(which brings me to my next point). My friend and I bled the clutch very thoroughly last year. Like I made sure there wasn't a single bubble coming through the tube. But if there was air in the system, wouldn't it affect the entire travel? I tried spraying some white lithium grease one the area around the pedal to see if it did anything. Same thing, but not as bad. Any ideas? I hope nothing is severely wrong with my car. I can still launch and shift with no problems and there aren't any strange noises. Maybe with the massive amount of rain we've had, perhaps a little moisture? Or maybe my leg was just tired today. I don't remember it doing it this morning though. I'll keep you guys posted on the whole situation.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
Chris H.

Re: Clutch pedal....oddness

Post by Chris H. »

FDSpirit wrote:This is weird. I've never actually felt this as I was releasing the clutch. I don't know if it's ever been present, or if it just showed up. I was getting ready to launch and brought the clutch up to the friction point, but as I paused, the pedal seemed to keep going without me lifting my leg. Like only a wee bit, but I wasn't doing anything to it
It doesn't like to stepped on. It's not a doormat FYI. :lol:

It might be caused by moisture, though I can't correlate how it causes clutch pedals to fight back.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Re: Clutch pedal....oddness

Post by FDSpirit »

I think it may be the spring returning faster than normal. Like if you hold it in one spot, it tries to fight back a little It made a noise, which I had someone try to replicate as I stood outside the car. Definitely sounds like a spring. I'm too tired to break out the WLG again, so I'll have to get underneath the steering wheel, push down the pedal with one hand, and spray with the other tomorrow. Although after that one trial to hear that noise again, the problem seems to be much much less.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.