Shock to the engine?

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Shock to the engine?

Post by theholycow »

No-fault insurance has sounded like a good idea before...it would seem to cut out all the BS and just let us get on with our lives. I never considered the issue of deductibles. DO NOT WANT!

I'm guessing that with no-fault insurance, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is not available or not common. Either way it sounds like it wouldn't cover the part of your deductible that the other driver should have to pay.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
RxnMan
Junior Standardshifter

Post by RxnMan »

I have been doing some research and her not having insurance may be the one thing that salvages this situation for me. Apparently if the offending party is not insured, the $500 limit goes out the window :twisted: I can sue her for the whole amount of the damages.

I am going fill out the paperwork tomorrow in small claims court.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

NY has no-fault insurance. I think it's utter crap. Hopefully everything is gonna work out for you. How can people be so dumb to not have car insurance though? I mean really? Not even the cheap kind? Some insurance is better than no insurance. I guess that will teach her a lesson.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

The good news is that you're legally entitled to everything you reasonably should get. The bad news is you'll probably never get it. :(

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FDSpirit wrote:NY has no-fault insurance. I think it's utter crap. Hopefully everything is gonna work out for you. How can people be so dumb to not have car insurance though? I mean really? Not even the cheap kind? Some insurance is better than no insurance. I guess that will teach her a lesson.
By the law, you must have insurance to license the vehicle in Michigan. We really ought to be throwing these uninsured motorists in jail (after they pay you for your damages, of course), along with the illegal spacepeople.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

paul34 wrote:What's the point of that... then we'd just have to pay for their three square, bed, cable tv, gym, and conjugal visits. Screw that.
So why do the rest of us have to follow the rules? Laws need to have teeth and be enforced, or they aren't really laws, are they? I don't agree that jails have to be fun places. I think New Mexico has the right idea - bologna sammiches, tents in the desert and funky clothing. Oh, and none of this earning money while in jail business, because otherwise, even New Mexican Jails would be better than living in Mexico. Let Chester the Molester be their conjugal visitor.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

paul34 wrote:What I meant is that if your immigration status is not gone through the process, then you should be taken back home and not locked up in the US.
Hey, Chester's not such a bad fellow - why deny him his fun?
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
FDSpirit wrote:NY has no-fault insurance. I think it's utter crap. Hopefully everything is gonna work out for you. How can people be so dumb to not have car insurance though? I mean really? Not even the cheap kind? Some insurance is better than no insurance. I guess that will teach her a lesson.
By the law, you must have insurance to license the vehicle in Michigan. We really ought to be throwing these uninsured motorists in jail (after they pay you for your damages, of course), along with the illegal spacepeople.
True. But you also have to remember that some people may pay monthly and forget that one payment. Then they cut the insurance off. Then you have a lapse.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FDSpirit wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:
True. But you also have to remember that some people may pay monthly and forget that one payment. Then they cut the insurance off. Then you have a lapse.
Off with their heads and they won't forget to pay again, right?
RxnMan
Junior Standardshifter

Post by RxnMan »

theholycow wrote:The good news is that you're legally entitled to everything you reasonably should get. The bad news is you'll probably never get it. :(
Yeah no kidding. The fact that she was coming out of a Meijer parking lot at 5pm on a workday with a kid in the car does not bode well for the prospect of her having a job. If she doesn't have a job nor the funds to pay me, I will be out of luck.

A court's ruling is binding forever though. should she ever in her life get a job, or file for tax returns, I will get first dibs on the money (provided I win of course).
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

paul34 wrote:unless she files for bankruptcy. But then again bankruptcy law is pretty complicated... but at any rate I'm sure her other creditors would probably get first dibs.
Claim the kid and sell it on the slave market!
RxnMan
Junior Standardshifter

Post by RxnMan »

paul34 wrote:unless she files for bankruptcy. But then again bankruptcy law is pretty complicated... but at any rate I'm sure her other creditors would probably get first dibs.
In that case, I will sleep well at night knowing I played a hand, however small, in ruining her financially :D
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2013 Ford Fiesta

Post by comingbackdown »

Put it this way. Accident, police report, court filings, lawsuit against her... She's screwed even if she can't pay.
She'll look much worse if anybody looks into those records. I'd be happy with that.

She might be a stay-at-home mom or some shit though, which would mean the pants-wearer in the relationship haz munnayz.
Thusly, she would haz munnayz. Win.

For now though, let's just see what happens.
2013 Ford Fiesta + a bike and a land yacht which are in pieces.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Well, Rope-Pusher, you wanted her put away...I'd say she's pretty badly screwed without that happening.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:Well, Rope-Pusher, you wanted her put away...I'd say she's pretty badly screwed without that happening.
It has to hurt more than that to get someone to pay real money each year for insurance that obviously isn't really mandatory.