Shock to the engine?

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
RxnMan
Junior Standardshifter

Re: Shock to the engine?

Post by RxnMan »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
theholycow wrote:Well, Rope-Pusher, you wanted her put away...I'd say she's pretty badly screwed without that happening.
It has to hurt more than that to get someone to pay real money each year for insurance that obviously isn't really mandatory.
In Michigan they have this thing called a "Driver's Responsibility" fee. Basically if you're caught without insurance, you pay a fine of 200 dollars, in addition to whatever fines you end up paying because of the ticket. How much it "hurts" is relative to income, but for me, the risk of the 200 + ticket fines/lawsuits is not worth skipping out on insurance.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

RxnMan wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:
theholycow wrote:Well, Rope-Pusher, you wanted her put away...I'd say she's pretty badly screwed without that happening.
It has to hurt more than that to get someone to pay real money each year for insurance that obviously isn't really mandatory.
In Michigan they have this thing called a "Driver's Responsibility" fee. Basically if you're caught without insurance, you pay a fine of 200 dollars, in addition to whatever fines you end up paying because of the ticket. How much it "hurts" is relative to income, but for me, the risk of the 200 + ticket fines/lawsuits is not worth skipping out on insurance.
I had a long discussion with B.I.L. about his daughter coming of age (no, not that, well, yes that, but we were talking of driver's licensing) and how to insure her. His plan is to pretend it didn't happen - not initiate or reply to any correspondence with his insurance company. I told him that he could lose his house over this if it goes very wrong. His idea was, that with Michigan no-fault insurance laws, you are now insuring the vehicle, not the driver, so she could drive w/o him paying anything extra. I told him the insurance policy only covers household members that he names, so she's not covered. Of course, if it wasn't relatively expensive to insure a young driver, he would be more open to doing the right thing, so in the end it's about money. I think he could create a paper trail by buying a junker, minimally insuring it (naming her as the principal driver) and then licensing it. Even if it doesn't run, she can "occasionally" drive one of his other vehicles and the insurance company will cover her, since she is already insured as principal driver on her own vehicle.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

RxnMan wrote:In Michigan they have this thing called a "Driver's Responsibility" fee. Basically if you're caught without insurance, you pay a fine of 200 dollars, in addition to whatever fines you end up paying because of the ticket. How much it "hurts" is relative to income, but for me, the risk of the 200 + ticket fines/lawsuits is not worth skipping out on insurance.
How much it hurts is really more relative to how much your insurance would cost. If your insurance costs $4000/year then you can get pulled over 20 times per year and come out even. A lot of people who choose to drive without insurance, do so because their insurance is that costly.

Put teeth in it...make it $2000, then it'll start to work. Then the collected money can go into an uninsured motorist fund to help pay when someone damages someone else, sans insurance.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
RxnMan
Junior Standardshifter

Post by RxnMan »

theholycow wrote:
RxnMan wrote:In Michigan they have this thing called a "Driver's Responsibility" fee. Basically if you're caught without insurance, you pay a fine of 200 dollars, in addition to whatever fines you end up paying because of the ticket. How much it "hurts" is relative to income, but for me, the risk of the 200 + ticket fines/lawsuits is not worth skipping out on insurance.
How much it hurts is really more relative to how much your insurance would cost. If your insurance costs $4000/year then you can get pulled over 20 times per year and come out even. A lot of people who choose to drive without insurance, do so because their insurance is that costly.

Put teeth in it...make it $2000, then it'll start to work. Then the collected money can go into an uninsured motorist fund to help pay when someone damages someone else, sans insurance.
I agree about insurance cost being a factor. Out of curiosity, I asked state farm how much my insurance would be. They quoted me $900. A month. I asked the agent if she was insane, she said its what her system showed. You can bet I would be driving without insurance and taking my chances if I had to deal with 900/month. I would still need to go to school, I would still need to go to work, life would need to go on. Not driving would simply not be an option. Anyone who says otherwise is being idealistic.

Thanfully AAA covers me for muuuch cheaper.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

do you drive a friggin lambo?
RxnMan
Junior Standardshifter

Post by RxnMan »

Lambo? I didn't know the pic I posted looked so exotic :lol:

I think its a combination of being 21, living in a shitty city, and the coverage being full.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

yeah high stolen car rates and having a desirable car to be stolen, combined with the fact that you have theft coverage, i guess that should make the rates high...but $900 a month?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I have to admit, 900 is well over twice the most I've ever had to pay.

I bet it's mostly liability with high amounts of coverage, like $1 million limits.

RxnMan
Junior Standardshifter

Post by RxnMan »

The agent herself was dumbfounded. She told me to stay where I was when I said that w/ AAA I pay about 1/4th that per month.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

good luck driving around without insurance in NYS - the DMV will go after you if they see a lapse in insurance of even a day :shock: :lol: :!:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

The factors you listed don't help, and they compound the below.

Insurance is all about statistics, and the Civic coupe is a favorite among the TF&TF set. The 2006-2008 models, the subject of the latest HLDI data, relative to the average car, have 145% the collision losses, 115% the liability losses, 84% the comprehensive losses, 145% the PIP losses, 142% the medical payments losses, and 123% the bodily injury liability losses. The Si you were considering is even worse, over 100% across the board and 187% for collision.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

IMBoring25 wrote:Insurance is all about statistics, and the Civic coupe is a favorite among the TF&TF set.
In 2010, the Civic is like the Camaro was in 1990...or at least, like my mom insisted the Camaro would be if I were to get one when I turned 16. I think she might have been wrong the whole time.

I should have gotten a Camaro instead of my Grand Am when I was 18...I was paying $4,000+ per year anyway. Every month I made a car payment and an equal insurance payment. If my parents had let me on their insurance and I had bought a beater, I could have saved a crapload of money that I would eventually have irresponsibly blown some other way.
115% the liability losses
It would be more but the lightweight Civic doesn't do much damage when it whacks something.

What's PIP?

FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

IMBoring25 wrote:The factors you listed don't help, and they compound the below.

Insurance is all about statistics, and the Civic coupe is a favorite among the TF&TF set. The 2006-2008 models, the subject of the latest HLDI data, relative to the average car, have 145% the collision losses, 115% the liability losses, 84% the comprehensive losses, 145% the PIP losses, 142% the medical payments losses, and 123% the bodily injury liability losses. The Si you were considering is even worse, over 100% across the board and 187% for collision.
My head just exploded. :lol:
potownrob wrote:good luck driving around without insurance in NYS - the DMV will go after you if they see a lapse in insurance of even a day :shock: :lol: :!:
For real. Allstate somehow messed up my insurance card when I went to register my car for the first time. The guy behind the counter at the DMV had a hissy fit. Didn't help that he had a gigantic cold sore on his lip *barf* :lol: . My card's date was off by a day and he just went insane! But I mean, if it meant him having a job and not having a job, I could see. But man, he really should have stay home with that obstruction on his lip. It was like talking to a person with a hairy mole on their face.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

FDSpirit wrote:But man, he really should have stay home with that obstruction on his lip. It was like talking to a person with a hairy mole on their face.

I'm gonna cut it off, chop it up, and make guacaMOLEy!

IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

theholycow wrote:What's PIP?
Personal Injury Protection. It covers your medical expenses as a result of an accident, regardless of fault.