Squeaky Clutch

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
rufio275
Junior Standardshifter

Squeaky Clutch

Post by rufio275 »

I noticed this about a month ago. When I first start the car, and for the following fifteen minutes or so, the clutch makes a squeaky-hinge noise like you might hear from a worn mattress spring: wreeee. This noise happens only when I kick the clutch pedal down, not when I lift my foot off. At first I thought it was the pedal itself but I ruled out that because the sound is louder when I have the windows down. I asked my mechanic about it possibly being the clutch fluid, which is black, but he said he's been driving a pickup for over a decade and has never changed the clutch fluid in that. I'm out of ideas. I've only been driving a stick for a year and so far I haven't had any problems. I haven't noticed any roughness in shifting and after about fifteen minutes of driving the noise diminishes and the car more or less operates without the sound. But for those fifteen-twenty minutes it sure sounds annoying... Draws looks from pedestrians, too. Any suggestions? Thanks.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Re: Squeaky Clutch

Post by LHOswald »

have a friend stomp the pedal and go up under there and see where you can narrow the sound down to. or just replace the clutch. or just get a new car. or just cut off your ears. i think all of those could work
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

If your clutch fluid is black, you might wanna bleed the system. Black fluid is no bueno.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Probably a moving part (like the clutch fork, or the clutch disc's interface with the input shaft) that needs some grease.

What kind of vehicle is it? If it has an old-fashioned rod linkage then that may need some grease and is easy to work on.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If it is an external slave HCRS, it might be the release bearing fork squeaking against its pivot ball. Get your haid right close by the bellhousing whale somebody (with the wheels chocked and the park brake applied) exercises the clutch pedal for ye. Mebbe there is a bellows or a cover you have to remove to see the release fork. Try putting grease onto the pivot stud by using a paintbrush, not a spray nozzle, so you don't get any on the rotating parts. With your fingers and the brush out of the way, have someone exercise the clutch pedal again to work the lube in and see if you got it done or if more is needed. Also, if you can't get it in there (TWSS) between the fork and the top of the pivot, you might want to make like Honest Abe and free the slave, so the fork is unloaded and easier to move around. It's incredible that a guy could be blogging about working on his clutch release system and end up getting into a big war over it. Bet most of you didn't even know Lincoln was Amish. The beard thing makes all kind of sense now, right?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

FDSpirit wrote:If your clutch fluid is black, you might wanna bleed the system. Black fluid is no bueno.
Depends. The fluid on the goats and G8's gets black within a few hundred miles. It's not been linked with any issues that I know of.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:
FDSpirit wrote:If your clutch fluid is black, you might wanna bleed the system. Black fluid is no bueno.
Depends. The fluid on the goats and G8's gets black within a few hundred miles. It's not been linked with any issues that I know of.
Iffen it's yellow, let it mellow.
Iffen it's brown, flush it down!
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

Didn't know that, Tony. I just figured the same applied to clutch fluid, since it's brake fluid. mine hasn't changed in color since I bled the system. I find that weird though in your case.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FDSpirit wrote:Didn't know that, Tony. I just figured the same applied to clutch fluid, since it's brake fluid. mine hasn't changed in color since I bled the system. I find that weird though in your case.
Does this mean that Tony blew a seal? No more trips to the Chicago zoo for you young man!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Does this mean that Tony blew a seal? No more trips to the Chicago zoo for you young man!
Or SeaWorld.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

OH Man, I hope we're not too late! President ford dies, Squeaky Fromme gets released from prison, and now Rufio275 has a squeaky clutch release system. Coincidence? I hope he calls the secret service and goes into a safe house until they catch that wacko.

And Charles Manson sits in prison and laughs to himself. Lousy Krauts!
rufio275
Junior Standardshifter

Post by rufio275 »

theholycow wrote:Probably a moving part (like the clutch fork, or the clutch disc's interface with the input shaft) that needs some grease.

What kind of vehicle is it? If it has an old-fashioned rod linkage then that may need some grease and is easy to work on.

It's not that old. At least I wouldn't consider it old. It's a 2000 Honda Civic.

So isn't it a little strange that my mechanic said he's never changed the clutch fluid in his truck before? Which means, I'm assuming, that he's never bled the thing either.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

Bleeding the system wouldn't hurt. It's actually really easy on your car. I've pretty much got the same car as you do.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FDSpirit wrote:Bleeding the system wouldn't hurt. It's actually really easy on your car. I've pretty much got the same car as you do.
Ah, yer all a bunch of pussies!

(In a falsetto voice) "Oh, I've got to go bleed my clutch today!"

In my day, men never bled their clutch juices and we liked it that way. It was good enough for us. I think Alice Cooper said it best: "Only women bleed".

Signed,
Harry Mechanic
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

paul34 wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:
The Corvette guys sorta freak out over black clutch fluid because they say it's the cause of a clutch pedal that'll suddenly fail to come back up one day.
I've NEBBER had a clutch pedal go down on me, but that's a good thing, right?