Just in time for winter!

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Just in time for winter!

Post by FDSpirit »

This just happened...I think. Don't know. I just happened to notice it. I turned the wheel and there was some type of creaking noise. Im sure it isn't the PS, because the fluid is good. Im leaning towards suspension/steering parts. Maybe the shocks, struts or ball joints? Any ideas besides those?
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Just in time for winter!

Post by theholycow »

Can you describe the noise more thoroughly? Creaking like a haunted house door? Sustained noise, momentary, or repeated?

How about the conditions...were you stopped, engine braking, accelerating, neutral coasting? Smooth road, bumpy road?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

I heard it when I was backing up and when I was stationary. The noise isn't super loud, but you can hear it. The best description I can say is probably a haunted house door :lol: . I know it isn't the tie rod ends. Those were changed and I checked them when I rotated my tires.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

FDSpirit wrote:I heard it when I was backing up and when I was stationary. The noise isn't super loud, but you can hear it. The best description I can say is probably a haunted house door :lol: . I know it isn't the tie rod ends. Those were changed and I checked them when I rotated my tires.
i'm afraid your car is about to blow up - i'll come pick it up and give you $200 for it before it blows up and is rendered worthless.

:lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Was your wheel turned all the way or close to it in either direction? If so, I'm betting on steering stops.

Otherwise, I'd look at steering linkage.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

The wheel is completely centered, I turn it, and it creaks. I barely turn the wheel and it makes the noise. I did a few mini donuts I guess you could say in 1st around the parking lot at work. Doesn't make the noise :? . Only seems to be from maybe 0mph to 5 maybe? I've got some homework to do, but I'm gonna put the car on the stands and take a look. I hope it isn't too severe. I can't afford this right now :( .
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Need more input.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Did you run over a ghost?

Ball joints dry?

Steering rack fasteners loose?

Popped spotweld in BIW?

Lay down on the pavement and have a friend drive over the top of you while you listen intently to try to pin-point the sores of the noys.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

^ :lol: I've had the car on stands for a while. Tested the ball joints. No freeplay. Tie rod ends are still a-okay. My shocks/struts don't seem to be messed up(although that could very well be the issue. Hell. I've got a lot of options at this point). I turned the wheel and I can't figure out the exact location of the creaking noise. It seems like it could be the CV Joint(but doesn't that need motion to detect?). The boot doesn't look torn or leaking any grease though. I'll keep you guys updated of course. Thanks for the input. I really need a bigger garage. I have like no room to work. I don't wanna take it to a shop, but if I do, I'll just have them inspect it and then I'll proceed from there and do it myself if the job isn't too tough.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

Okay. I haz an update. Car made the same noise when I lowered it back to the ground :x . So maybe it's actually the shocks/struts? I pushed on the car, it isn't really bouncing like a car in a Dr. Dre video from the 90s, but it's definitely the same exact sound. But why would it make the noise when I was turning the wheel in a stationary position?
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

FDSpirit wrote:But why would it make the noise when I was turning the wheel in a stationary position?
I'm guessing that, even on dead level ground, turning a steering wheel will change things.

Audio of teh sound?
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I've found the solution to your problem:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

It could be a control arm bushing as well.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

AHTOXA wrote:It could be a control arm bushing as well.
+1. That's what it turned out to be for me.

Squeaky sound was heard from the driver's side of the car when turning at low speeds and if the front end was pushed down.
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

Yuppers. I was also thinking it may also be a bushing. My phone timed out. I had a lengthy reply ready, but this PoS didn't save it. It hasn't become worse, which is good. I've got the weekend to check it out completely. Lol @ the radio thing too. I was also gonna point to struts because I heard the noise when I backed out and hit the dip in my driveway. I mean. Maybe that helps the diagnosis. I've never really dealt with suspension, but there are a number of culprits. I'm trying to narrow it down as best as possible with the help you guys have given me.