transmission issue

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: transmission issue

Post by Squint »

Well since I didn't know any better, I'll do it with the car on now... :idea:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^ yeah, what he said, or put it in 5th with the car off and then push in the clutch, start the car and try letting the clutch out to see if it still pops out.

Does it feel goofy at all into other gears, especially 1st or 3rd as compared to 2nd and 4th?

From Neutral, should be close to the same amount of shift knob movement to get ino 1st as to get into 5th. Lay a meter stick horizontally atop the shift knob and butt the end of the stick up against the IP. Take a reading in 3/4 Neutral, where the knob neutral plane crosses the meter stick. Shift it forward into 3rd and record the new position. Do the same for 1st (holding the shift knob in the 1/2 Neutral position for the first measurement) and 5th (holding the shift knob in the 5th Neutral position for the first reading). The change in position going into 3rd should be a little shorter than for 1st or 5th. You could record similar measurements for shifting from Neutral into 2nd and 4th - the shift knob travels should be about the same.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

To my limited manual driving knowledge, it feels completely normal in the other gears. They've never popped out, they don't wiggle much, fairly easy to get into and out of gear (occasionally first requires a slight wiggle, but that's pretty normal from what I've seen, esp in a car with 172k+ miles).

Not having measured it, it doesn't feel like there is a large difference between the lengths that the shifter moves into the different gears. I'll see what I can do over the next couple of days to test some of this out.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!