New clutch and flywheel problem

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
j-shifter
Junior Standardshifter

New clutch and flywheel problem

Post by j-shifter »

I've recently changed my clutch and flywheel to F1 racing-stage 1 couple of weeks ago. I was teaching my gf stick in an uphill, so she was slipping my clutch a bit. After a while, I took the front wheel and drove home, only to find out that my clutch started slipping while engaged (my RPMs were too high for my actual speed and fluctuates up and down while pressing the gas). So I proceeded to test it on the highway, and it was the same thing. I went home, ate some lunch and let the car cool for awhile, and tested it again. Now it's perfectly fine even with hard accelerations. Now I'm wondering whether its because of the heat causing the clutch to slip, or there's something else wrong, such as the pressure plate, flywheel, etc? Anybody had this experience with a new installed clutch and flywheel?
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: New clutch and flywheel problem

Post by watkins »

An over-slipped clutch will glaze. Driving normally wears this glazed layer off and life is back to normal.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:An over-slipped clutch will glaze. Driving normally wears this glazed layer off and life is back to normal.
MmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmGlazed!

I hear that a cup of coffee will speedily help remove the glazing.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Maggiolone
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Maggiolone »

That happened to me on my clutch, which is a few months old.

The shifter cable (car is old) might have gotten jammed or displaced while driving over a rough road. My RPMs went way up but the car took forever to engage from neutral to first, and it was semi-normal into 2nd gear. I didn't go past that.

I let it cool off and it shifts normal now, but the clutch feel is not as "heavy" as it used to be :?