Wheel alignment questions

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Wheel alignment questions

Post by AHTOXA »

Shadow wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:
I'm talking about one wheel being smack in the middle of the range, while the other is at the far negative side of the spectrum.
Well, the ranges are pretty tight on most cars. So it should still be fine as long as both are within specs. It might be ideal to try and get both of them dead center, but I'd guess most guys just try to get them within the acceptable range.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Jut because it's in the range doesn't make it good. My goat drove like shit with a "in-range" alignment. Redid it and all was great.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:
Shadow wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:
I'm talking about one wheel being smack in the middle of the range, while the other is at the far negative side of the spectrum.
Well, the ranges are pretty tight on most cars. So it should still be fine as long as both are within specs. It might be ideal to try and get both of them dead center, but I'd guess most guys just try to get them within the acceptable range.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Jut because it's in the range doesn't make it good. My goat drove like shit with a "in-range" alignment. Redid it and all was great.
Well, just for the record--if all specs are within range, the car should ride perfectly. That's why they have ranges in the first place. I don't know what to say about your old GTO, other than it should have been fine if within specs. The only time I'd ever try to go above and beyond when doing an alignment is if the car was autocrossed and the owner really wanted to tweak the specs.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

That obviously hasbn't been the experience. All things were equal and when the vehicle was realigned, there were no further issues. While it's true that the range is quite small, if LF toe was set at max positive and RF toe was set to a max negative, don't you think that there would be a noticeable difference?
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

When braking I just get a mild pulsation due to the tie-rod end. I know because its all on the position of the steering wheel, however I do not get any pull. Today I did a let-go test on a relatively flat road. It actually only tracked a little bit to the right constantly. I get a click sometimes in the suspension...that I have absolutely no idea what it could be, I will have to look in depth. The click all started with the damn mechanic that changed my clutch...not only that but he ruined the car.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:When braking I just get a mild pulsation due to the tie-rod end. I know because its all on the position of the steering wheel, however I do not get any pull. Today I did a let-go test on a relatively flat road. It actually only tracked a little bit to the right constantly. I get a click sometimes in the suspension...that I have absolutely no idea what it could be, I will have to look in depth. The click all started with the damn mechanic that changed my clutch...not only that but he ruined the car.
is the click while turning? (cv joints?). if not i had a click going on when i first got my civic way back when. wound up something in the rear right suspension was missing a screw. my mechanic found it when i mentioned the noise when i brought it in to have other stuff done. i could hear it coming from the back though.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:That obviously hasbn't been the experience. All things were equal and when the vehicle was realigned, there were no further issues. While it's true that the range is quite small, if LF toe was set at max positive and RF toe was set to a max negative, don't you think that there would be a noticeable difference?
Nope. Not any difference that you could see or feel driving the vehicle. You shouldn't experience any abnormal tire wear either. Feathering is mostly associated with toe alignments and if you have toe set at each extreme, you shouldn't see any abnormal feathering at all. Keep in mind that toe specs are usually set slightly toe-in for better steering feel and to keep a slight pre-load on wheel bearings.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Not quite sure why you're mentioning feathering here. I don't believe it was a topic.

There's no denying that your experience is greater than mine in terms of setting alignment, but I'm convinced that more often than not you contradict someone's view for the sake of contradiction.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:Not quite sure why you're mentioning feathering here. I don't believe it was a topic.

There's no denying that your experience is greater than mine in terms of setting alignment, but I'm convinced that more often than not you contradict someone's view for the sake of contradiction.
I mentioned feathering because you mention toe. If your toe is out of specs, then you'll most likely experience feathering on the tires, but as long as it's within specs, you shouldn't get any feathering of your tires.

But what I'm saying overall is that alignment specs are fairly tight and that the car should be fine as long as its within specs. If you disagree, then that's fine. I'm not sure why you're trying to turn this into something personal. I'm only telling you what I've experienced over the years after performing hundreds of alignments. If you're convinced that my words are simply for the sake of contradiction, why did you ask me in the first place?

And just for the record, if there's a subject of discussion that I can help by sharing my knowledge, then I'll usually chime in. If it's a subject that I know nothing about, then I'll either stay out of it or ask questions so that I can learn more about it.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote:When braking I just get a mild pulsation due to the tie-rod end. I know because its all on the position of the steering wheel, however I do not get any pull. Today I did a let-go test on a relatively flat road. It actually only tracked a little bit to the right constantly. I get a click sometimes in the suspension...that I have absolutely no idea what it could be, I will have to look in depth. The click all started with the damn mechanic that changed my clutch...not only that but he ruined the car.
is the click while turning? (cv joints?). if not i had a click going on when i first got my civic way back when. wound up something in the rear right suspension was missing a screw. my mechanic found it when i mentioned the noise when i brought it in to have other stuff done. i could hear it coming from the back though.
When I turn almost to full lock left I would get a clicking...however If I go to take off while at full lock..lets say I am turning through a deadend I start to develop a wicked chatter. I am beginning to think this whole thing is related to everything, the tie rod end, the alignment, and that axle that is clicking. And the suspension click. I must find out what that click is.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

bk7794 wrote:When I turn almost to full lock left I would get a clicking...however If I go to take off while at full lock..lets say I am turning through a deadend I start to develop a wicked chatter.
That right there describes a failing CV joint. The rest doesn't, of course.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

theholycow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:When I turn almost to full lock left I would get a clicking...however If I go to take off while at full lock..lets say I am turning through a deadend I start to develop a wicked chatter.
That right there describes a failing CV joint. The rest doesn't, of course.
Well that shuddering supposedly according to my haynes manual says that a bad axle could cause a problem. The chatter I have no clue about...I need to start clean with a newer car and one that my local mechanic never touched. I will never bring it to him again and all my work will try to be done by me.