Custom Flywheel / Clutch Question

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
slantsix
Junior Standardshifter

Custom Flywheel / Clutch Question

Post by slantsix »

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of putting a new clutch / PP in my 79 Volare - THis is a pretty straight forward job for me as I have done the trans swap / clutch install a few times..

The issue here is I had a flywheel custom made a few years back - It's Aluminum with a steel friction insert on it:

The steel insert is 9" in outside Diamater...

Problem is the Clutch and Press Plate I would like to use is a 10" setup.

If I go ahead and use the clutch and pressure plate 1/2" of the clutch disc will overhang the Steel insert.

I was wondering if this will cause any problems or If I can even attempt to install the parts like this.

I do have other options for flywheels - I wanted to try to use this one if I could as I had it on the shelf - THe other options require more cash to be $pent..

Thanks for your insights!

Greg
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Custom Flywheel / Clutch Question

Post by theholycow »

Is the steel insert flush with the aluminum, inset so the aluminum sticks up around it, or sticking up so it's thicker than the aluminum?

Flush: Probably would work. Aluminum will probably wear off slightly ahead of the steel insert.
Aluminum sticking up: Might work but I'd put it on a lathe until it's flush.
Steel sticking up: Ought to be fine at first, but eventually when the clutch wears it will have a ridge that may snag on the flywheel's matching ridge, could have unpredictable results at that time.

I went the other way. I have a 10.4" flywheel and ~9" clutch...there are no smaller flywheels that fit my engine, and the only 10.4" clutches to fit my transmission are $200+ custom jobs made for a specific similar uncommon application.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I did something similar with a friend on his Toyota Supra. It worked fine at first, but ended up chattering quite a bit after a while. It was still completely driveable, but the clutch chatter did get annoying and we ended up swapping the whole thing back out.
slantsix
Junior Standardshifter

Post by slantsix »

The Steel Insert is a few ~.020" higher than the AL on the edge.. I would assume that after a while the steel would wear down and then be flush with the Aluminum.

Thanks for the insight.

Greg
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

The clutch will wear faster than the steel. It'll probably be fine but I can imagine some difficulties. I'd probably throw it together and find out for myself. :twisted: Make sure your pilot bushing/bearing is a perfect fit for the input shaft...if it can wiggle then that ridge that'll develop could become annoying in some way.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD