Clutch pedal play

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
cimbali
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: BMW 328i

Clutch pedal play

Post by cimbali »

How much side to side free play in the clutch pedal is generally considered normal? On my car, I've recently notice side to side play of almost 1/2 inch which is def noticeable. My car is a couple of years old....not sure what causes this?
BMW 328i e90

Re: Clutch pedal play

Post by Shadow »

You probably need new bushings. See link below:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthrea ... st11449841
cimbali
Junior Standardshifter

Post by cimbali »

Thx for the reply. Next time I am at the dealership I will see if they can do a warranty repair. I don't thing these bushings should go only after two years. Could my technique have anything to do with it?
BMW 328i e90

Post by Shadow »

cimbali wrote:Thx for the reply. Next time I am at the dealership I will see if they can do a warranty repair. I don't thing these bushings should go only after two years. Could my technique have anything to do with it?
Technique? Doubtful....I mean, all you can really do is step on the clutch pedal. There's not much you can do differently than anyone else as far as applying/releasing the pedal. It's a known issue with the E90, so I'd guess that it had nothing to do with the way you drive your car.
cimbali
Junior Standardshifter

Post by cimbali »

Update. The dealership replaced the entire clutch pedal and bushings...however it didn't change the amount of side to side play. Since there was no forman on duty I need to take the car back on Monday. Any idea what else it could be? While I was at the dealer they had two other 3 series with manual transmissions and both had much less side to side play then mine.
BMW 328i e90
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I laughed at the "foreman" concept. My "foreman" is a dolt.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

watkins wrote:I laughed at the "foreman" concept. My "foreman" is a dolt.
Yeah, to be honest, it doesn't seem like there is much leadership in the service bay at mine. There's one guy who people kind of look up to, a supervisor type. They pretty much ignore any other management.

Granted, we also have issues with people getting their vehicles done on time. Someone needs to crack some whips in the service bay. When people wait 3+ hours for an oil change...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Find out yourself - it's not rocket surgery! Get a flashlight and lie on your back with your head on the floor and look up at your clutch pedal as you move it side-to-side. Do the pedal and/or its bushings slide along the pivot shaft? Does the pivot shaft slide side-to-side? Does the whole pedal sled move side-to-side? Some clutch pedal sleds are integrated into the brake pedal sled. Some are bolted on. Some are totally separate entities. I've seen some that are welded on, but I've never seen a strap-on.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"