A new day another problem

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: A new day another problem

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:
potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote:I hope rob sees this thread I got a question to ask him about his old civic. IT has to do with the gas pedal.
you called?? 8)
haha I did! I was wondering if you remembered on your old civic a dead spot on the accelerator.

By a dead spot I mean right when you push it down it feel like it moves then it pulls the cable. If that makes any sense. It is like I have play in the gas pedal. I wondered if that was a need for concern or if all civics had it.
i have to be honest that I can't remember that far back. I vaguely remember having that "issue" on at least one of my cars, but i gorfet which. keep in mind i sold the civic back in 2005 and only had it for 2 years, and i often mix it up with my more recent 96 accord...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

How about that car? I am beginning to think that I cooked the throttle cable again. Maybe cooked the grease. I had a rad issue and the car would run really hot.

Btw I was on 9W the other week and thought of you haha
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:How about that car? I am beginning to think that I cooked the throttle cable again. Maybe cooked the grease. I had a rad issue and the car would run really hot.
i have NO idea what you're talking about here :shock: :? :(
Btw I was on 9W the other week and thought of you haha
ah, ahaha, cool!! i was just on 9W between Kingston and Highland the other day 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

What was the throttle like on the accord?

I noticed that there was some grease on the cable. It was kind of stiff I guess you could say. I wonder if that could be the problem. I had an issue with the engine running hot because the radiator was running inefficiently.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:What was the throttle like on the accord?

I noticed that there was some grease on the cable. It was kind of stiff I guess you could say. I wonder if that could be the problem. I had an issue with the engine running hot because the radiator was running inefficiently.
i don't remember the gas pedal being peculiar on that car, but i can never remember that stuff. i can tell you how the seats felt and how it handled and accelerated, but i can't remember how the brakes or gas felt since i got used to however they were. even my maxima i had for 5 years i couldn't tell you how the brakes or gas felt; all i can tell you is that car was QUICK...
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote:What was the throttle like on the accord?

i don't remember the gas pedal being peculiar on that car, but i can never remember that stuff. i can tell you how the seats felt and how it handled and accelerated, but i can't remember how the brakes or gas felt since i got used to however they were. even my maxima i had for 5 years i couldn't tell you how the brakes or gas felt; all i can tell you is that car was QUICK...
Really? I wonder how the Nissan Sentra SER or whatever is then. If the maxima was quick. Did that have a 4 or 6?

So today for the cable I put some silicon spray around the rubber boot/bellow.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

bk7794 wrote:So today for the cable I put some silicon spray around the rubber boot/bellow.
That's a decent option but you might have wanted some grease instead. You can get white lithium grease in a spray can with a straw. If it wasn't already wet then dry graphite lube (hardware store near the key cutting station) might be a good option...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

theholycow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:So today for the cable I put some silicon spray around the rubber boot/bellow.
That's a decent option but you might have wanted some grease instead. You can get white lithium grease in a spray can with a straw. If it wasn't already wet then dry graphite lube (hardware store near the key cutting station) might be a good option...
I will have to see if the problem comes back. If it comes back then I will clean it and all that and put some dry lube like you say. I might even try to spray it down the cable.

Must just be that this car doesn't have as tight of a throttle cable as I thought. It is on the tail end of "spec" in the book.