Slushy Problem and few others?

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Honda Prelude

Slushy Problem and few others?

Post by comawhite »

I noticed when I drive the crapbox. If I get about 30-40mph it will start vibrating a little bit and then when it shifts it goes away. Sometimes when it shifts. I might get a little jerk, but nothing too serious. I was told it might be the suspension going bad on it, but I'm not sure. I hope it isn't the transmission going out on it. The vibration doesn't happen anytime before 30-40mph or anytime after it shifts to the last gear.

I also noticed when I get like a slight squeal when I start braking and it goes away just as fast too and doesn't do it any more after getting on the brakes. I just replaced them like a few hundred miles ago with brand new pads and rotors.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Slushy Problem and few others?

Post by theholycow »

Nothing comes to mind for the first thing.

For the brakes, what supplies did you use? There are anti-squeal goops/sprays you can use as a decent enough band-aid if your pads don't quite agree with your rotors/calipers/car in general.

I just finished replacing pads and captive rotors (and one CV boot) on my wife's Isuzu, now it's scraping and has a slight clanking sound over bumps. :( I think the scraping is those stupid dust shields behind the rotors and I hope the clanking is too.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Honda Prelude

Post by comawhite »

I used to little aluminium plates that came with the pads, the pads and put the grease that came with the pads on all the places that the pads that touch the aluminium plates.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

What brand and type of pads?

Are your rotors OEM? If not, what brand?

Brake squeal tends to be a result of a large combination of variables within the system...friction here, mass there, pressure somewhere else, etc. By changing the variables you change the sound, potentially making it worse or better. To work inexpensively with what you have you'll want to concentrate your efforts around those aluminium shims. You could try eliminating the grease on one side or the other of the shims, or you could try eliminating the shims (if their only purpose is noise control), or you could try replacing the grease on one side or the other of those shims with anti-squeal compound.

Do the pads fit very tightly to the slides on the brackets, so it's difficult to move them in or out? That'd be another variable you could change (though after slightly filing the slot in the backing plate, if it got worse you can't undo THAT action!).

Did you grease the slide pins (with proper disc brake system grease)? If not, you might take them out and inspect them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying any of these is specifically going to help, just brainstorming variables in the system. I think the usual band-aid is anti-squeal compound, and the usual proper repair is to use pads of a different material.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD