Super light super vague clutch pedal

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
havoktsx
Junior Standardshifter

Re: Super light super vague clutch pedal

Post by havoktsx »

InlinePaul wrote:Drive by wire and a throttle cable. Seems like a retrofit.
well, this is honda's oem DBW solution, at least for a bunch of their mid-late 2000 era cars (both honda and acura)...

i'm not sure about 2010 and afterward...
08' Acura TSX ASM/Ebony 6MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It sounds like the cable is a mechanical linkage between the pedal and the throttle plate. That is definitively NOT drive-by-wire.

That's not to say that it can't also have all of the equipment (and most of the irritation) of DBW. Throttle position sensors have been around for as long as computers have, even on the computer controlled carburetors of the early 1980s. I suspect that accelerator pedal position sensors predated DBW too (though certainly not by as long!). Modern electronic throttle actuators have probably been around almost as long as electronic fuel injection, and my carbureted non-computer 1980 Buick even has a primitive throttle actuator solenoid to throttle it up a bit when air conditioning is turned on.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:Image
.....and my carbureted non-computer 1980 Buick even has a primitive throttle actuator solenoid to throttle it up a bit when air conditioning is turned on.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
havoktsx
Junior Standardshifter

Post by havoktsx »

theholycow wrote:It sounds like the cable is a mechanical linkage between the pedal and the throttle plate. That is definitively NOT drive-by-wire.
i'm usually not one to argue over symantics and most of you are definitely more knowledgeble than me...

having said that, the car in this case *is* DBW because there is NO mechanical linkage that goes all the way from the pedal to the throttle body. the APP is connected to the pedal via cable (which has limited adjustability), yes. but the APP in turn is connected to an electrical harness which goes to the ECU. there is a throttle position sensor that is bolted to the throttle body itself but that's about it.

if that is not DBW, i don't know what is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic ... le_control
Last edited by havoktsx on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
havoktsx
Junior Standardshifter

Post by havoktsx »

just to clarify - my "light and vague" clutch comments came as a result of the car being suddenly "easy" to drive after not being smooth for months after purchasing the car.

my guess is that the APP decided to work coincidentally after the dealership visit and i wasn't used to how easy the car was to drive.... then it decided to stop working again.

now that the APP has been replaced, the car is easy to drive and smooth and clutch action is "light" because its working well with the exact throttle input i'm giving. previously, it just felt like there was something wrong with the clutch since it was a stuttering hot mess with inconsistent throttle inputs.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

havoktsx wrote:
theholycow wrote:It sounds like the cable is a mechanical linkage between the pedal and the throttle plate. That is definitively NOT drive-by-wire.
i'm usually not one to argue over symantics and most of you are definitely more knowledgeble than me...

having said that, the car in this case *is* DBW because there is NO mechanical linkage that goes all the way from the pedal to the throttle body. the APP is connected to the pedal via cable (which has limited adjustability), yes. but the APP in turn is connected to an electrical harness which goes to the ECU. there is a throttle position sensor that is bolted to the throttle body itself but that's about it.

if that is not DBW, i don't know what is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic ... le_control
That's not a semantic issue, it's that I messed up. I saw drawings of a cable and read what you wrote and what it described and didn't understand that the accelerator pedal position sensor is mounted remotely and the cable goes to it (but then does not continue to the throttle itself). Looking back I can see that you were pretty clear about it, that was just my mistake.

I wonder why they used a cable and a remotely mounted sensor instead of integrating the sensor with the pedal?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Retrofitting.