a hiccup when cold saturn sl

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
dakta1420
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2014 ford focus should 5s

a hiccup when cold saturn sl

Post by dakta1420 »

Hello all, hope its ok to post this here. Its not a stick shift isssue but my car is a manual.
when the car is started up first time of the day it has this issue . Youll take off to start driving always happens within 1 mile of taking off. Youll be going and the engine will buck one time
asts about 1 second then its fine for the rest of the day.
the car is a 02 saturn sl
new plugs and wires, new pre cat o2
intake gasket checked coils checked injectors checked, tps replaced for high idle.
Reading the plugs they look perfect. Throttle body cleaned. Vacuum leaks checked for there arent any.no engine lights either. Im at a loss. Any ideas? Thanks everyone.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: a hiccup when cold saturn sl

Post by theholycow »

Do you go the same way for that first mile every day and drive the same? If you go slower or faster, or shift at a different RPM, does it still happen?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

This buck is a characteristic, not an issue. Characteristics are those endearing traits that we come to know and love. Issues are imperfections that we let gnaw at us.

Yanno, if you are unable to make the transition from this being an issue to this being a characteristic, there is a 16 year old living near you who, for the majestic sum of $1 (Just to make it a legal business proposition), will drive your vehicle that first mile each day and endure the condition. Call it the "Buck for a Buck" solution.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
dakta1420
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dakta1420 »

Rope-Pusher wrote:This buck is a characteristic, not an issue. Characteristics are those endearing traits that we come to know and love. Issues are imperfections that we let gnaw at us.

Yanno, if you are unable to make the transition from this being an issue to this being a characteristic, there is a 16 year old living near you who, for the majestic sum of $1 (Just to make it a legal business proposition), will drive your vehicle that first mile each day and endure the condition. Call it the "Buck for a Buck" solution.
Well two days ago it did it right when I was taking off to turn left at a light in had a green light but not the arrow so there is the potential for oncoming traffic. Not a fun place to be in when it happens. And yes I go the same way I've tried driving easy and I've tried driving hard it's done it either way but it doesn't do it every time. Yesterday I had my wife drive just so I can watch the live data to see if I could see anything funny happen. And it acted perfect.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

dakta1420 wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:This buck is a characteristic, not an issue. Characteristics are those endearing traits that we come to know and love. Issues are imperfections that we let gnaw at us.

Well two days ago it did it right when I was taking off to turn left at a light in had a green light but not the arrow so there is the potential for oncoming traffic. Not a fun place to be in when it happens.
Well, tell the kid to make sure he stays in the neighborhood and doesn't try to pull out on the highway when he puts his mile on the car.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
dakta1420
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dakta1420 »

Not going to sell the car.....why that would be a first suggestion is beyond me.....
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Don't mind Rope-Pusher. He's joking about paying someone to drive the first mile for you. With more information, he'd be the first one with the right diagnosis (if you could decipher his jokespeak).

dakta1420
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dakta1420 »

Lol.
I just wish the darn car would mess up worse so I could actually figure it out. I dont even know what to check. Lol
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Intermittent misfire?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
dakta1420
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dakta1420 »

tankinbeans wrote:Intermittent misfire?
I don't know. It's very consistent in the sense that it always happens when cold within a mile. Plugs are new copper ngk and new wires. I tested resistance on the coil towers and the plug wires. And injector. Also sprayed water along wires and coil to see if maybe there was a bad spot some where....but nothing.
dakta1420
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dakta1420 »

Well hasn't done it in 4 days today we had a cold morning and it did it again so it definitely a temperature related issue. Any ideas?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Intake air temperature sensor reading wrong, maybe?

My car does it too, but then mine is equipped with Flintstones technology, no computer or electronic controls at all other than a very basic electronic ignition. The air/fuel system is completely mechanical. Even so it might not do it if it had all of its original stuff but when I took it to the shop to have my exhaust manifold leak fixed they threw out the heat shield that heats intake air. People look at that stuff and say "yuck, some kind of emissions crap that we didn't need in the 1950s" but it really is nice to have a more drivable vehicle.

monkeyhunk
Senior Standardshifter

Post by monkeyhunk »

theholycow wrote:Don't mind Rope-Pusher. He's joking about paying someone to drive the first mile for you. With more information, he'd be the first one with the right diagnosis (if you could decipher his jokespeak).
Not only that....try finding a 16 year old that knows how to use a clutch these days.
dakta1420
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dakta1420 »

I was actually talking to my teacher today. He said he wished there was a course for them to teach us to drive a stick. No one taught me but less and less people own then so it makes it more challenging to find one to even learn on.