Olie is a PITA, but I like him.

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Olie is a PITA, but I like him.

Post by tankinbeans »

Hello all -

This isn't a question about Clifford, but his older brother Olie. Here goes, is it worth it for me to replace the steering gearbox?

Some back story. Since I've had him I've replaced all four bearings, repacked the differential, replaced all of the brakes, done the inner tie-rod ends on both sides, replaced the passenger's side front axle, and yesterday finally put on some new tires (the old ones were pretty severely cupped - I could see it without having to run my hand over them). The steering wheel is still very sloppy and doesn't have much weight when going forwards, but it seems to get tighter if I reverse. I've been doing some reading online and I'm finding posts about the rag-joint (I've never heard of it, but I'm also still trying to learn about these things) possibly being twacked. The boards are also saying that there is an adjustment screw on top, but that it's not recommended to do anything with it. I keep reading about a ZQ8 swap, but I don't think I'm interested in that.

I'm taking it back tonight so they can properly diagnose the issue. The tech said he'd give me a freebie since I was there so long yesterday due to their being short-staffed, and I've spent enough money in there already. I just figured I'd ask y'all and see what you'd think.

I know I've probably put more money into him than he's worth, but my thought is that I hope to get many years of use of out him and he's the first vehicle I've owned free and clear of any bank liens in a long time and I'd like to have him in case things go tits up and I find myself jobless and lose my car.

If InlinePaul or ClutchDisc see this, I'd be curious how they find the steering in the S10.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Re: Olie is a PITA, but I like him.

Post by ClutchDisc »

The steering in my S-10 is very responsive.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

ClutchDisc wrote:The steering in my S-10 is very responsive.
Would you think it's worth fixing the steering? Mine is very sloppy, but there are 214k on the clock. However the engine and transmission seem very strong yet.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It's a single chunky but still relatively minor repair. It's probably worth doing. How much is it estimated to cost? If you don't do it, what happens next? Do you buy a replacement vehicle? What would be your budget and specifications? Would you end up with another vehicle needing repairs? Better the devil you know, after all...right?

Can you describe better the symptom? It almost sounds like a wobbly steering column, which is just a few bolts buried under a bunch of bolts and springs and stuff. I wrote a howto:
http://forums.b-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=306
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

tankinbeans wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote:The steering in my S-10 is very responsive.
Would you think it's worth fixing the steering? Mine is very sloppy, but there are 214k on the clock. However the engine and transmission seem very strong yet.
Depends what your plans for the vehicle are I guess. How long do you plan to keep it?
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Cow, there's a lot of excess play in the steering wheel andsteering seems to be relatively tight when reversing, but loosens up as I'm going forward. Maintaining a straight course requires more correction than should be necessary. I can not really feel anything when moving forward and then need to correct back the other way.

I know it's going to be different than a car, but damn. I should be getting an estimate tonight to see the cost.

ClutchDisc, this week be around for awhile if I have anything to say about it. I generally like it, but the repairs ate annoying. I know most of this is just neglected maintenance.

Right now I'm at that stage where most people would have probably gotten rid of it, but it's still completely serviceable and just requires things that would wear out after 16 years and 214k miles.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Update: everything is tight and the tech didn't notice anything abnormal. It comes down to my being used to rack and pinion and being hyper-vigilant. Tech said it's nothing to worry about, and all the other work has rendered it pretty much like new.

He said the disadvantage to steering gear boxes is that they display more play than r and p, which is why most manufacturers got away from them.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

tankinbeans wrote:He said the disadvantage to steering gear boxes is that they display more play than r and p, which is why most manufacturers got away from them.
And they're way more complex than rack and pinion. I'd love to do the swap on my Celica someday. Its steering is perfect right now, but the gearbox leaks like crazy and it's a pain to replace the seal.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »