Shifter linkage bushing.

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Shifter linkage bushing.

Post by bk7794 »

So today while changing the oil in the 2000 I was fooling around with the shift linkage. I found that one of the linkages has a bit of play in it. Though I am trying to determine if that linkage has anything to do with the problems I have been having.

The bushing is number 14. I wonder how difficult an R and R will be.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
DrJerryrigger
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: trixy

Re: Shifter linkage bushing.

Post by DrJerryrigger »

If it's not to hard to get at I'd try rapping it in electrical tape to take the slop out. If that makes thing feel better buy a new bushing. Looks like a simple job when there isn't a car around the parts ;)
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

I don't know if that would even work. I'm not sure where the slop is. I was thinking of having someone sit under the car and play with the rod while I run through the gears.
DrJerryrigger
Junior Standardshifter

Post by DrJerryrigger »

bk7794 wrote:I don't know if that would even work. I'm not sure where the slop is. I was thinking of having someone sit under the car and play with the rod while I run through the gears.
I suggest doing that the other way around. It's much harder to find volunteers to hang out under your car than sit in it.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

bk7794 wrote:I don't know if that would even work. I'm not sure where the slop is. I was thinking of having someone sit under me and play with the rod.
Oh yeah? :oops:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Eye ham stinkin' that you could safely support the vehicle, then slide under it with a light and look at the various bushings, pivots and connections as you perturb rods 12 and 13. Look for lost motion, where the rod moves, but the part it connects to doesn't - you may have to perturb the rods real subtle-like to see how far they can move before the next part in the conga-line moves along with them.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

watkins wrote:
bk7794 wrote:I don't know if that would even work. I'm not sure where the slop is. I was thinking of having someone sit under me and play with the rod.
lol, I was wondering if someone was going to catch that.
Rope-Pusher wrote:Eye ham stinkin' that you could safely support the vehicle, then slide under it with a light and look at the various bushings, pivots and connections as you perturb rods 12 and 13. Look for lost motion, where the rod moves, but the part it connects to doesn't - you may have to perturb the rods real subtle-like to see how far they can move before the next part in the conga-line moves along with them.
I think I see what you mean. So basically have someone gradually move toward the gears while seeing if the rods move?

I only felt play in rod 13. The gear shifter was in first at the time.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

bk7794 wrote:
watkins wrote:
lol, I was wondering if someone was going to catch that.
Rope-Pusher wrote:Eye ham stinkin' that you could safely support the vehicle, then slide under it with a light and look at the various bushings, pivots and connections as you perturb rods 12 and 13. Look for lost motion, where the rod moves, but the part it connects to doesn't - you may have to perturb the rods real subtle-like to see how far they can move before the next part in the conga-line moves along with them.
I think I see what you mean. So basically have someone gradually move toward the gears while seeing if the rods move?

I only felt play in rod 13. The gear shifter was in first at the time.
If I was under the car, i'd just push and tug on the rods from under there myself.

Rod 13 freeplay prolly isn't as critical as freeplay in rod 12. 13 is reacting the shift load, but 12 is transmitting the shift lever movement to the transmission innards. Freeplay there would be more directly felt as freeplay at the shift knob.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Alright, I did tug on 12 and I felt like I was just moving the shifter. Since I Was on ramps I didn't want to fool with it too much cause I didn't want the car to roll off the ramps or something. The shifter itself feels quite good. It's just I found a way sort of around that Reverse problem. I noticed if I push the shifter to the right and while maintaining my force on the right wall drop it in reverse it engages better.

hopefully that makes sense...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

i think they sell those bushings on ebay. some came with an aftermarket shifter i got. since you seem to be mechanically inclined and have already examined your shiftage linkage, you might like to put in an aftermarket shorter shifterer. dc sports makes a good one for those civics. don't forget though, no rice!! :o 8) :lol: :mrgreen:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

They sell genuine ones too for only a couple bucks. I intend to keep it stock though.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Stock Schmock
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
DrJerryrigger
Junior Standardshifter

Post by DrJerryrigger »

[quote="potownrob"]i think they sell those bushings on ebay. some came with an aftermarket shifter i got. since you seem to be mechanically inclined and have already examined your shiftage linkage, you might like to put in an aftermarket shorter shifterer. dc sports makes a good one for those civics. don't forget though, no rice!! :o 8) :lol: :mrgreen:[/quote]

Foe every aftermarket part you put in your car you must put three stickers of aftermarket parts makers on a window. It's the rule, it's on page 12 or 23 (depending on the year and make) of every Honda owner's manual since 1994.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

DrJerryrigger wrote:Foe [sic] every aftermarket part you put in your car you must put three stickers of aftermarket parts makers on a window. It's the rule, it's on page 12 or 23 (depending on the year and make) of every Honda owner's manual since 1994.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I like you. You'll do just fine, 'round these parts...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Squint wrote:
DrJerryrigger wrote:Foe [sic] every aftermarket part you put in your car you must put three stickers of aftermarket parts makers on a window. It's the rule, it's on page 12 or 23 (depending on the year and make) of every Honda owner's manual since 1994.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I like you. You'll do just fine, 'round these parts...