Manually studding a winter tire? Need creative engineering..

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Manually studding a winter tire? Need creative engineering..

Post by theholycow »

Note to the naysayers: Studded tires are legal here, I like them but won't crash without them, the tires in question are siped and snowflake-rated as well as drilled for studs, if I fail at doing this without the stud gun then I'll end up in exactly the situation you're here to recommend anyway...there's no need for you to post.

I know we have some constructive, open-minded, creative folks in here. I know this is possible. I don't know how to make it happen.

I bought a box of TSMI #11 studs for a pair of winter tires. Before I ordered I test-fitted one (pulled from tires that I de-studded by hand, which is an easy job) and found it took a reasonable amount of effort with two medium-sized needlenose pliers and a screwdriver. I don't remember exactly how I did it though. Now that I'm going to get down to it, I bought a heavy duty external snap ring pliers and some very long needlenose pliers, thinking one of those would be great for the job. I can't seem to get a single stud installed.

FYI, studs are shaped like this:

They go into holes pre-drilled in the tread blocks and fit like this:

Normally it's done with a Bruno Wessel pneumatic stud gun. It has three jaws that spread the hole and a plunger that shoves the stud in. It's way out of my budget. A shop won't be willing to do the job because the tires are used.

So, any creative DIY redneck-engineering minds in here? My budget is pretty much blown. The only thing I can think of some sort of inverse drill chuck, or a pipe that is slotted longitudinally that collapses, is inserted into the hole, then I drive studs down into it and it expands from the stud (or a second concentric pipe expands it and the stud is dropped in). Maybe a pipe, not slotted, just the right diameter; use pliers to spread hole, work pipe into hole, drop stud into it. Gotta find the right pipe.

One person reports doing it with pliers:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =3&t=23666
I simply took automotive studs and drilled a hole (the diameter of the SHAFT of the stud, not the head) into the center of beefy lug on the tire, and forced the hole open enough to get the head of the stud in there with some modified needle nose pliers.
I've been struggling and can't seem to repeat my test-fit result. HALP!
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Manually studding a winter tire? Need creative engineeri

Post by Shadow »

Just buy some of the screw-in type of studs.

Personally, I think tire studs should be illegal everywhere. Just had to add that opinion, despite your feeling on the subject. Studded tires just tear up the roads and it's unnecessary with modern tire compounds/technology.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If Contadina can put 8 great tomatoes in that little bitty can, we can think of a way for you to install those studs.

Speaking of tomato paste, can you make something like a tampon "gentle-glide applicator" that inserts into the stud hole in your tire and when you pull out the applicator, the stud stays in there?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Air is a wondrous thing. Nothing is free in life but the air we breathe, but you better go buy some if you intend to go diving.
Blow air into a hole and it expands the diameter of the hole. Can you make a tube pressurized with air that you can drop a stud down the center as you hold the tube up against your tire?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Why not listen to the voice of experience? Talk to Tony's Mom. She's had her way with many a young stud.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Donate some beer to a guy who works at a tire store and borrow his studding tool overnight?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Speaking of tomato paste, can you make something like a tampon "gentle-glide applicator" that inserts into the stud hole in your tire and when you pull out the applicator, the stud stays in there?
That's exactly what I was trying to describe with the slotted collapsing pipe idea. I think it may be unrealistic however; the applicator would need to be pointed, but I don't think there is enough depth margin to work with for that to work.

Since we're talking in that context, something like a micro-speculum would be perfect.
Rope-Pusher wrote:Air is a wondrous thing. Nothing is free in life but the air we breathe, but you better go buy some if you intend to go diving.
Blow air into a hole and it expands the diameter of the hole. Can you make a tube pressurized with air that you can drop a stud down the center as you hold the tube up against your tire?
Now there's an idea! I wonder if I could enlarge the hole simply by blowing air from my compressor into it, without even using a tube, like using a compressor to help remove golf club grips.

...well I was going to post a youtube video of someone doing it the way I remember it, but what I found were videos where they use the little hole at the end. I swear I've seen it done by blowing at the shaft/grip interface. (Tony's mom definitely knows about blowing at the shaft/grip interface.)

kevinf
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kevinf »

Deflate tire, heatgun to stud area, insert, repeat, inflate tire?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Deflating would only make it worse, but I hadn't considered heat...that might help.

kevinf
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kevinf »

I was thinking that with less pressure the tire might be more pliable. Maybe try a shot of WD-40 instead, it should evaporate quickly but provide some lube meanwhile. If WD-40 doesn't work, duct tape may need to be involved in some way.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Buy some drywall screws and screw them through from the inside out. Just make sure to apply silicone for sealant purposes
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

bubble-pipe fluid is the slipperiest substance know to man.

(Tony's Mom might know about something even more slippery)
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

watkins wrote:Buy some drywall screws and screw them through from the inside out. Just make sure to apply silicone for sealant purposes
Are the ends of drywall screws similar to the road-contact ends of tire studs? I haven't personally seen tire studs in a long time (pretty sure they are illegal here) so genuinely curious.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Not even remotely
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

watkins wrote:Not even remotely
Then I should also ask, would they function similarly at all? Or were you not being serious with that suggestion?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!