Vac pump won't quit running - suggestions?

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Vac pump won't quit running - suggestions?

Post by AHTOXA »

New issue on my Sonic - totally unexpected; I've never had any prior issues with this car happen every 6 months. At all. :roll:

So I've noticed that my vac pump stays running when ignition is on. When the motor runs, there's generally enough vacuum to have it go off. Until I press the brakes (when idling). I hear it kick in periodically then.

More disturbingly, the brake pedal is hard as a brick any time I'm on the throttle or when coming off boost and onto the brake real quick. I was in gear under boost the other day, merging onto the highway. When I let off the throttle and went to tap the brake to align myself to merge in, the pedal was a brick and nothing happened for a second or so, until engine went into vacuum.

So, I got underneath yesterday and checked the vac line from the throttle body to the pump. I unplugged it at the pump and determined that the pump generates vacuum when my finger plugs it, but still won't turn off.

What should I be looking at next?

Even though it doesn't make sense financially, I'm growing more and more tempted to sell this crap car for a Forester. I can't go 6 months without having some sort of a major issue that affects drivability. Not to mention all the little stuff that has broken in the 3 years I've had it.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: Vac pump won't quit running - suggestions?

Post by Squint »

While I have no idea on the answer to your question - get the Forester! :D :lol:

That might be something the Mrs. and I look at when our lease is up (or close to up) on our Mazda 3. The looks may be a bit bland, but man, the functionality...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I would have sold the Sonic a while back, but it depreciated like a rock, putting me under water on it when considering I lost a little bit of money on the Kia.

I've been paying extra money on it for the last year and a half, and I'm still slightly under water on it. What I'll do is - put in a few grand towards the payoff amount and sell it off. Too bad. I would like to not get into more payments, but this car has been unreliable since day 1, when it spent a month at the shop after the first two weeks of ownership.

Too bad all in all, because I like the car for what it is. Just not willing to deal with it out of warranty now.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

http://www.sonicownersforum.com/forum/c ... print.html

"PROBLEMS DURING 1st Year

1. Five tries to get a sticker (should have been a red flag)

2. 1 Month in and the Brake lights come on and go off (Low Brake Fluid) (Should have been 2nd red flag).

3. Six months in the brakes became rock solid on Highway while in cruise control. Almost rear ended a car. (FIXED by replacing MC, vacuum pump and check valve).

4. Leaking into Passenger side during rain (Fixed by GOOD dealer according to a Bulletin on issue).

All in all, looking back, brakes going were scarey. Problem was rare, but not unheard of in any type vehicle. Other than that, minor issues that could have been addressed easily.

Once the water pump goes (which supposedly they do) and gets replaced, it should be smooth sailing from here on out (*knocks on wood)"
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah, Rope. I know that guy, too. Him and many others (like me) had had lots of teething issues with this car.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:Yeah, Rope. I know that guy, too. Him and many others (like me) had had lots of teething issues with this car.
Sounds odd to me that so many components had to be replaced before he ficksed the brake issue. You know how when you can't find something, it always turns up in the last place you look for it? Repairs are like that too. You need to just replace/repair that last part, not all those other parts that came before it but really didn't solve the problem.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Well, looks like I'm up a creek.

My master brake cylinder is leaking into vac booster and from there the brake fluid made it into the check valve, most likely screwing it up. It may have compromised the vac pump as well.

I've had it with this car. I'm tired of shit breaking every 6 months. Multiple water pumps, valve covers cracking, subframe replacements, struts, shifter linkages and now I need to do the master brake cylinder along with voc booster, check valve and maybe vac pump.

Thinking about cutting my losses with this car. If it makes sense financially (meaning, if my losses are not too significant), I'm getting out of this car.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:Well, looks like I'm up a creek.

My master brake cylinder is leaking into vac booster and from there the brake fluid made it into the check valve, most likely screwing it up. It may have compromised the vac pump as well.

I've had it with this car. I'm tired of shit breaking every 6 months. Multiple water pumps, valve covers cracking, subframe replacements, struts, shifter linkages and now I need to do the master brake cylinder along with voc booster, check valve and maybe vac pump.

Thinking about cutting my losses with this car. If it makes sense financially (meaning, if my losses are not too significant), I'm getting out of this car.
There certainly are decisions which don't make sense financially which make perfect sense long term. I also don't know that I'd use the words teething problems when it appears the problems aren't going away. Honestly, I would have been fed up with it a few problems back if I had that many issues.

Instead of paying money directly to the bank then turning around and doing the same thing at the dealership, you can just have a dealership take care of it all at once. i.e. if you were going to drop $2,000 extra to pay down the loan some more, just put that $2k towards a $2k larger downpayment. It is the same thing and you don't have to pay multiple times (though the total money is obviously the same). That saves one step in the process. BUT! Be cautious about repeating the under water cycle on buying cars. That's how people get buried in vehicles and either end up being forced to lease or having to own a car with a super high payment until it is paid off.

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah, I know about negative equity pitfalls. And I know I'm going to be a few grand (maybe 3k) upside down.

On the plus side, I did speak with my local CU and the loan terms offered to me are quite good at 3.45%. My current APR is higher than that due to past credit issues. Plus, instead of dumping the repair money into the car now, it will simply be paid towards the downpayment on the new thus negating some of the loss.

I'll still end up losing a couple grand, I'm sure. But, I'll likely be in a more reliable vehicle with less stress and wasted time wrenching on it.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but I'm going to go test drive the Forester and the Crosstrek this evening and see if I even like them.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Not considering a used Forester?
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

six wrote:Not considering a used Forester?
with all due (undue??) respect, the 3rd gen (2008-2013) foresters were too ugly, especially that front end. 2014 was the beginning of the new gen which looks much better (plus it's bigger, 6 speed ftw, etc.). it also doesn't make much sense to get a used one of the newer ones since these cars do not depreciate quickly.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:Yeah, I know about negative equity pitfalls. And I know I'm going to be a few grand (maybe 3k) upside down.

On the plus side, I did speak with my local CU and the loan terms offered to me are quite good at 3.45%. My current APR is higher than that due to past credit issues. Plus, instead of dumping the repair money into the car now, it will simply be paid towards the downpayment on the new thus negating some of the loss.

I'll still end up losing a couple grand, I'm sure. But, I'll likely be in a more reliable vehicle with less stress and wasted time wrenching on it.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but I'm going to go test drive the Forester and the Crosstrek this evening and see if I even like them.
sorry about your situation, but glad you're looking at the subarus. I know you'll want to do your own test drives and comparisons but, based on my test drives of the Forester and Impreza (I test drove a base Impreza sedan - only manual they had in stock; Forester was a premium model with the huge panoramic moonroof and other goodies), the Forester was exponentially nicer than the Impreza (which the Crosstrek is based on). I am not even sure you'll fit in the Crosstrek. I was upset about how unimpressive the Impreza was, especially since it was much cheaper than the Forester. The gearing was too spread out, while the 5th (top) gear was geared rather low for an overdrive. The engine was lackluster, though it did have a cool boxer sound to it. I barely fit in the thing. The handling was nothing to write home about. Positives would be the smooth ride, surprisingly quiet cabin (they thickened the window glass for 2015 and might've added some insulation), and decent acceleration when revved past 4k rpms. The Forester had much better gearing (more aggressive and versatile), much better power (reviews pointed to the Impreza and Forester ultimately being similar in acceleration; my findings were not so close), much more room, much nicer seat (and the premium model Forester has a power seat with nice lumbar support), smoother ride (but not much if any better handling), nicer stereo and interior fit and finish. If you're ok without the panoramic moonroof, foglights (edit: foglights not standard on the forester premium either; can add on at dealer for a few hundred) and other accoutrements, the base Forester looks to be a good value. I also think they are running big deals on the Forester (at least they were a couple weeks back), and they may be able to best the rates you were offered by the credit union. Either way, good luck and please let us know how things go.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

potownrob wrote:
six wrote:Not considering a used Forester?
with all due (undue??) respect, the 3rd gen (2008-2013) foresters were too ugly, especially that front end. 2014 was the beginning of the new gen which looks much better (plus it's bigger, 6 speed ftw, etc.). it also doesn't make much sense to get a used one of the newer ones since these cars do not depreciate quickly.
This is a valid point. I think he would have a hard time actually saving much money with only having a year or so in used models from which to look. Subarus have been selling ridiculously well recently - combining that and their normal value, I feel like it would be difficult to save enough to possibly make it worth losing out on some of the new car perks (better interest rates, warranty, etc...).

And I don't know why Subaru hasn't moved the Impreza to a 6 speed manual yet like the Forester. I drive a 5 speed in my Fiesta and a 6 speed in my Mazda, and it just makes cruising at highway speeds infinitely better to have that 6th gear - and generally improves your highway MPG as well (obviously depends on ratios and specific vehicle).

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Finding a used Forester in the trim I want is even more difficult thank new, and all I ask is a manual that's not a base model. No way I'd ever find used. Plus, I'd likely have a higher interest rate on used and since they don't depreciate much, I'd be basically spending very similar money for something that's used. Doesn't make much sense.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:Finding a used Forester in the trim I want is even more difficult thank new, and all I ask is a manual that's not a base model. No way I'd ever find used. Plus, I'd likely have a higher interest rate on used and since they don't depreciate much, I'd be basically spending very similar money for something that's used. Doesn't make much sense.
Did you testdrive one?? When I checked last night it looked like Dallas didn't have any manuals but one is on the way, and Plano had a base model and a premium on the way. Of course, those online listings aren't always right, as I learned from following the honda listings.