Clutch Master Cylinder

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Clutch Master Cylinder

Post by bk7794 »

So I decided to take a quick peak around my car today. Checked all the fluids and they are all good. However, I noticed my clutch MC level moved ever so slightly. I assumed it was probably because of wear and tear on the clutch. Though when I took a peak at the other side I noticed it was damp.

So my question for you guys is...how long does it have to live? It wasn't like dripping out, I just noticed it was a tad damp. I know these have a fairly big issue with MC hydraulics and whatnot. Just looking for some .02.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Clutch Master Cylinder

Post by AHTOXA »

Hard to say in definitive terms as to how long it's got to live. I had one experience with a master clutch cylinder that went on me very fast. It was not an immediate failure, but it got progressively worse through the drive home. However, I have no idea whether it was seeping before or not.

For a piece of mind, I'd replace it sooner than later. Otherwise, you might end up with pedal going to the floor and not coming up.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:So my question for you guys is...how long does it have to live?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3k65MlDCA

tl; dw: 90 minutes
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

In all honesty...I completely forgot why I was watching that video until I clicked the back button.

AHTOXA wrote:Hard to say in definitive terms as to how long it's got to live. I had one experience with a master clutch cylinder that went on me very fast. It was not an immediate failure, but it got progressively worse through the drive home. However, I have no idea whether it was seeping before or not.

For a piece of mind, I'd replace it sooner than later. Otherwise, you might end up with pedal going to the floor and not coming up.
Thanks for the heads up. That's what I fear. Stepping on the clutch and it not coming back up.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:In all honesty...I completely forgot why I was watching that video until I clicked the back button.

AHTOXA wrote:Hard to say in definitive terms as to how long it's got to live. I had one experience with a master clutch cylinder that went on me very fast. It was not an immediate failure, but it got progressively worse through the drive home. However, I have no idea whether it was seeping before or not.

Thanks for the heads up. That's what I fear. Stepping on the clutch and it not coming back up.
did you guys replace the civic dx yet??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Wouldn't fluid level drop a little bit as the clutch wears and the hydraulic system automatically adjusts itself?

I would not jump to the conclusion that there is a leak. The dampness could easily be something else.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Actually, as the clutch wears, the disk gets thinner, the pressure plate moves closer to the flywheel, the diaphragm spring fingers move away from the flywheel / closer to the release bearing, the release bearing piston moves closer to the "compressed" position (as opposed to the "Extended" position), yadda, yadda, yadda excess fluid is forced up into the reservoir.

With Brakes, reservoir level goes down as the pad wear, but with the clutch hydraulic release system, reservoir level goes up.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

theholycow wrote:Wouldn't fluid level drop a little bit as the clutch wears and the hydraulic system automatically adjusts itself?

I would not jump to the conclusion that there is a leak. The dampness could easily be something else.
Could be, but generally there's not much else that could be leaking in the clutch master vicinity, as it is generally mounted inside the cabin above the footbox.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Most that I've seen are mounted to the firewall on the engine bay side, with an extra few inches of push rod to reach the pedal.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

I'm still thinking of getting a bigger car for longer drives. So no replacement with the DX.

I'm probably going to end up replacing it. Probably after this month. Spent a lot on cosmetic things that needed to be done...like replace some rusted lug nuts, install a cabin filter and such.
Part is only 120 or so, I'm sure something will go wrong like the cotter pin breaking or something.
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Post by SonicHKS »

Uhhh, you don't want to drive it. Its been a couple weeks but if you're still having this problem....get some of the fluid on your finger and smell it. Brake fluid, leak, if not it might just be condensation or something.

If its leaking at all....think about it. Every time you push the pedal its going to leak a little fluid and it won't build full pressure. You're also going to have problems with air getting into the system when you clutch out and the piston moves back. So the pedal will keep getting squishier from less pressure and one day it'll probably **** the bed and the pedal will go to the floor and not come back up. Master cylinders are cheap and easy enough to fix that I wouldn't risk it. You drive it with no clutch pedal and you'll really glaze the clutch, among other problems.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

All ordered up. We shall see how it goes.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

How mite one, or even two, glaze a clutch that they can't disengage?
With honey, like you glaze a Spam?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Yeah I thought the same thing. But I feared getting stuck somewhere. I've been driving it more lately.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

wait what happened here?? there seems to be a gap in what happened in this thread. :o :? 8)