Burnt clutch smell

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 WRX 6MT

Burnt clutch smell

Post by Ewilon1988 »

Hey guys, I have a 2017 Ford Focus RS with 2100 miles. Last night while coming home my brother was driving my car. I told him don't drive stupid when we left the place we were at. Well I guess he didn't hear me(sarcasm) because 25 minutes later he takes off like a jackass from a red light and gets up to about 3rd gear then slows down. after that I smelled burning clutch and instantly got pissed off. I yelled at him because I told him to not drive like an a**. Do you guys think my clutch is screwed or is it somewhat typical to smell it after someone launches it hard. He's been driving a stick for years so it's not like it's his first time. I haven't even raced the car and I've barely gotten on it so I know that's the first time the clutch has taken some real abuse. Sorry for the lengthy text. Btw I haven't driven it since it happened last night.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Burnt clutch smell

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Two things:
1) excessive clutch slipping, particularly at medium to high engine rpm overheats the clutch friction material and creates the stink. If driven in this manner repeatedly, the clutch friction material will die a premature death.
2) your brother is either an idiot or an ashsole. There was really no performance gained through excessive clucth slipping. Either he didn't learn this during his years of experience or...he knew exactly what he was doing and it was his intent to inflict some damage. Either way, keep him out of the driver's seat and your clutch may yet live to a ripe old age.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

Yeah, he's not driving it again. Will what he did affect my clutch tremendously? When I'm driving I don't slip the clutch unless taking off which is minimal.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

If the clutch is still operating normally I would not be concerned. Just don't let the jerk drive it again--ever!

Years ago my wife insisted on learning to drive my 95 F150 manual because her car was in the shop and she never liked that I had a stick because that meant she had no car when hers is in the shop. I did not know how to teach stick in those days but to make a long story short, she smoked the clutch. I watched as it revved 3500 rpm (that 4.9 L maxes out at 3800) and we slowly moved out from a stop as if in a dream where everything happens in slow motion. Then there was this very strong metallic smell in the cab. But the clutch worked fine after that (I took over driving at that point) and gave me long service life.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

Inline Paul I'm glad to hear that. Oh man I think I'd cry if I was in your shoes. It didn't smell like metal I tell you that much. I haven't driven it since then(kinda scared to)
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Ewilon1988 wrote:Inline Paul I'm glad to hear that. Oh man I think I'd cry if I was in your shoes. It didn't smell like metal I tell you that much. I haven't driven it since then(kinda scared to)
One time I accidentally did that in a 94 Corolla that already had 180k on the original clutch. The clutch lasted for another 60k before finally the car gave up the ghost. I'd not worry except to say that your brother is a prick (I'm fairly well versed in that too).
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

Yes he is, and he kept passing it off like he did nothing wrong. He drives a 370z so he thinks he's the man when it comes to driving standard
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I wouldn't drive like that, but it doesn't sound like his driving was that far beyond what the engineers might expect from a lot of drivers (and what is seen often on the road).

Anyway, if he hurt anything then you wouldn't be asking us. You'd KNOW it and you'd be telling us what was broken.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

Yeah cow I think you're right. I just drove it and everything seems fine. No smell or anything and it drives normal
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Glad it all is okay with your clutch. Now hide your keys from your brother. With a brother like that, you don't need any enemies.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...