Car won't start? - 2006 Ford Focus

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
mrhahn530
Junior Standardshifter

Car won't start? - 2006 Ford Focus

Post by mrhahn530 »

Hey guys, before I start off i'd like to say that not only am I new to this forum, but I'm also fairly new to manuals in general. So if some of my questions seem pretty dumb, cut me some slack.

I've been having this problem since I got the car and I'm wondering if my clutch might not be tight enough. When I go to start the car about half the time it doesnt start. I'm not talking about making noise but not turning over, it just doesnt even try. I don't know if all cars require you to have the clutch engaged to start but mine does. Today I figured out that if i almost stand on the clutch it will work. I have to push it to the very end and then put even MORE pressure on it to get the car to realize its down.

Also, the clutch seems a lot less secure than the gas or break pedals. But I have nothing to compare it to, so I don't know if this is normal or not. Anyone here know what the deal might be? My guess is either its the clutch being too lose or what ever tells the ECU that the pedal is down is malfunctioning. But agian, I know almost nothing about this...

-Brandon
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Re: Car won't start? - 2006 Ford Focus

Post by Nychold »

Well there is a clutch safety lockout switch in your car (why it won't start without the clutch being depressed), but from your description, it could certainly be the culprit. But I'm much more worried about your description of the pedal not being secure. How insecure are we talking here? Do you ever have problems changing gears when you drive? (Even above and beyond your lack of experience, I mean.) If you're driving, and you clutch in, do the revs drop all the way to idle, or do they stay above idle (as an example, say 1500 RPMs)? Do you smell burning brakes/clutch when you get out of the car? Answers to any of the questions would be helpful. :)

Welcome to the board. :D
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
mrhahn530
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mrhahn530 »

I havent noticed the rpms being unusually high during the clutch in. I usually shift it into first a few seconds before lights change and it doesn't try and jerk forward so i'm assuming the clutch is working right. When i say lose i mean it gives a lot more when moving it left and right. The break and gas pedals stay pretty solid but it wobbles a little bit. It also has about .5-1 inch of space where i can press it down and nothing happens. I don't know if thats a normal buffer zone or if the clutch is suppose to start engaging the second your foot hits the pedal.

Sorry if my descriptions are bad. Had an insomnia night last night so i'm running on about 3 hours of sleep...
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

welcome to the site. :)

having some free play in the clutch pedal up/down motion is normal. there's usually part of the travel at the top and the bottom that don't really do much. not sure about the left/right motion though, that doesn't sound normal.

as for starting the car, it sounds like the lockout switch is not working right or maybe it's too far down. or, is your floor mat stopping the clutch pedal from going all the way down? i'd get down there where the clutch pedal meets the floor and see if i could find the switch and figure out whether something is preventing the switch from being fully pressed or if something is wrong with the switch.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
mrhahn530
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mrhahn530 »

Well, you called it. The mat was riding up there and stopping the clutch just a little bit. But it was enough to not engage that sensor. I also found that the clutch can be tightened up by screwing a bolt up there. I'm not sure if i should though. If i mess with that bolt it might get a lot harder to push down on the pedal...
Nychold
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nychold »

God I hope not...unless you got the ricer Ford Focus! :) The pedal effort is a combination of hydraulics, clutch spring (which I believe it between the engine and transmission), and the lever arm of the clutch pedal itself. Maybe some other things, but certainly not a single bolt that you can tighten or loosen. :wink:

That would be a wonderful ricer product though...maybe I should put it up on KaleCoAuto. :)
mrhahn530
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mrhahn530 »

Nah I didnt mean tighten like that. I meant stop the left and right wobble. the pedal arm hinges on a metal rod and it is attached by a bolt. I'm assuming if i tighten the bolt that the pedal hinges on it will stop the left and right wobble.

I'm a self proclaimed car idiot, but even I know that the clutch is a little more complicated than that...lol

I might get a pic up after my shower so you guys can see what i'm talking about....
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

if it was me i'd tighten that bolt. you don't want the pedal wobbling around.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nychold »

jomotopia wrote:if it was me i'd tighten that bolt. you don't want the pedal wobbling around.
Ditto. :)
mrhahn530
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mrhahn530 »

Alright, i'll probably do that today or tomorrow. I have one last question though. Theres a sensor to know that the petal is all the way down, but theres also a red colored one that senses when the pedal is up. How vital is that one? I ask because while i was poking around down there I noticed that it was very lose, but i couldn't really see a way to tighten it. Is this something I need to be worrying about? I can get a picture if you want.

Sorry for all the questions, this is a car we got used and theres only 6,000 miles left on the warranty. I want to get everything replaced that needs replacing as quick as possible...
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

i don't think i've ever heard of a sensor that detects when the pedal is out, not sure what purpose that would serve... picture may be helpful.
mrhahn530
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mrhahn530 »

Does this help clear things up at all?

And i really have no idea what the white plastic beam coming from the clutch is. its the only thing thats attached to the clutch so i'm assuming its what does the shifting, but i kinda wasn't expecting plastic...
Last edited by mrhahn530 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

lol, not really :oops:

sorry, i don't know what that thing is. are you sure it's a sensor?
mrhahn530
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mrhahn530 »

I'm just guessing, i really don't know...i know the other one is a sensor cause the car starts when its pressed down.

This is a totally stupid question, but i really don't know. Is it possible that the clutch is controlled by the car computer? Because the only real reason i can see for having a sensor like that would be to control the clutch electronicly. Is that even possible?

If thats the case than it is a VERY bad thing that that peice wobbles...
Nychold
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nychold »

mrhahn530 wrote:I'm just guessing, i really don't know...i know the other one is a sensor cause the car starts when its pressed down.

This is a totally stupid question, but i really don't know. Is it possible that the clutch is controlled by the car computer? Because the only real reason i can see for having a sensor like that would be to control the clutch electronicly. Is that even possible?

If thats the case than it is a VERY bad thing that that peice wobbles...
Yes, but not on a Ford Focus. Sorry dude, that kind of stuff is reserved for DSG transmissions that cost a lot of money. :)