Car won't start? - 2006 Ford Focus

Synchros shot? Weird noises while shifting? Not sure what needs to be replaced?
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Re: Car won't start? - 2006 Ford Focus

Post by hockeystyx16 »

whatever happen to PS anyway
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
mrhahn530
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mrhahn530 »

Holy hell, you guys must be bored ;-).

I'll give you guys somethign else to laugh about. Whats DBW?

hehe, I = standardshift forum noob....
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

drive by wire. basically, electronic throttle, where it senses the gas pedal position and then a computer figures out the best throttle angle.

its gay because it takes away the direct gas pedal - throttle connection.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
mrhahn530
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mrhahn530 »

Ahh, the car i was driving before my Focus was like that. You'd mash the pedal and get almost nothing. My claim to fame is that i squeeled the wheels...once...lol. I'm pretty sure the engine was bigger than mine now. I have no illusions as to how small my engine is, but i get SO much more power just because its a stick shift with out that DBW thing...
focusboy
Junior Standardshifter

Post by focusboy »

the red one is for your cruise control
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

mazda hit a home run big time with the zetec, for a 2 liter 4 popper, that thing has some serious ass. i swapped a motor in a contour last summer and when i was driving it around, i put it on the floor and that thing took off. for a heavy 4 cylinder slushie car, that thing moved.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
mrhahn530
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mrhahn530 »

I know, i was noticing how zippy that little car is, especially around the 4-5k rpm mark. Speaking of which, i'm considering (way down the line when i have more money) to put a super charger or a turbo in it. Any thoughts on this?
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

if you got 2 or 3 grand, and know alot about cars, go ahead. boost is not a bolt on, no matter how much it may seem to be.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
mrhahn530
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mrhahn530 »

Oh i wouldn't do it myself. I might help my friends who know more about it, or i might just suck it up and pay to have it installed. But I know full well its a complicated upgrade. I'm just wondering if the power gain would be worth it or not...
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

its well worth it, but like i said above, boosting a car that doesnt come boosted stock is not a bolt on by any means, and while you could have a buddy help you put it in, it still takes a lot of knowledge while driving that car. its like you see that your wastegate is not opening and allowing overboost or your blow off stops blowing off, you should know to stay out of boost til you fix it. stuff like that that will keep the car running and not blown up when sh1t happens. whats why boosting a factory non boosted car takes car knowledge.

paying a shop to put in a turbo is pretty lame, and it would be seriously expensive for everything they would do. i wouldnt be surspized if they charged you almost as much as you would pay for all the turbo setup components.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
mrhahn530
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mrhahn530 »

I'm starting to find that the more i learn about cars the more I want to get into it. I enjoy it a lot, but i'm having real troubles learning more. If I were in a position to get a supercharger or a turbo, how would I go about learning the different ways to take care of it without, as you said, blowing it up, lol.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

mrhahn530 wrote:I'm starting to find that the more i learn about cars the more I want to get into it. I enjoy it a lot, but i'm having real troubles learning more. If I were in a position to get a supercharger or a turbo, how would I go about learning the different ways to take care of it without, as you said, blowing it up, lol.
The best way is to find a Focus Forum, and ask the guys there about turbos for your car, and what's the biggest issue. Chances are, there are dozens of turbocharged/supercharged Focii out there, and their owners (unless they're pricks) want to help people get more. :)
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
mrhahn530
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mrhahn530 »

Thanks man, I probably should have thought of that myself, lol. My brain is not really running full speed today.

by the way, your signature is amazing...
sjthuss
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Toyota Corolla

Post by sjthuss »

focusboy wrote:the red one is for your cruise control
good call..... I couldn't figure it out until I saw your comment.... it cuts off the cruise control as soon as you push in the clutch so that the engine doesn't rev out of control
mrhahn530
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mrhahn530 »

Yes! That actually makes sense! Alright, well i rarelly use the cruise control so its not the end of the world that its wobbly.