Shift smoother...

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Caramel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: [1999 Volvo S70]

Re: Shift smoother...

Post by Caramel »

The only reason to save a clutch by doing all the necessary precautions, is so that you can rip the shit out of it on autocross/random irresponsible burnouts.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Believe it or not, there are valid reasons for simply wanting to make every component last as long as possible.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

Caramel wrote:The only reason to save a clutch by doing all the necessary precautions, is so that you can rip the shit out of it on autocross/random irresponsible burnouts.
this is the reason im so light on my vehicle and try to get the best MPG as possible. so when i want to rip on it i can without feeling too bad >.<
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Going from gentle to ripping on it stresses components more than Id like. Because my car is smart and would relearn fuel maps based on my efficient driving, I give it a good romping regularly to keep it on its toes/tires. Also because it puts this shit-eating grin on my face. I love my car.
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

Remember, TS has a newer bmw, which most likely comes with a clutch delay valve. This valve lets the clutch out fairly slow, even if you dump it. This means for smooth upshifts, you need to let off the gas first, clutch in, move to gear, and clutch out quickly to avoid rpm drop and give the CDV time to let the clutch up. And remember that as you let the clutch out, give it a tad bit of gas as well. This is to avoid the jerk and engine brake and you move into the next gear.

Same works with downshifts. Clutch in and blip the throttle as you move to the new gear, and let the clutch out to catch the rpm at the desired level. Make sure!! That both with up and downshifts alike that you get back on the throttle as the clutch is coming up. This is CRUCIAL, as the higher the rpm, the more you need to GET ON IT to avoid the engine break. The more you do this, the more you will get used to estimating the amount of throttle that you need to get back on to in order to complete the shift.
shiftsmoother
Junior Standardshifter

Post by shiftsmoother »

no CDV there was a spring that i removed and i also added a clutch stop to make things as easy as possible.....so an update im still practicing the rev matching it will come slow, but my upshifting is getting annoying the jerking isnt what i want how would you rev match upshift if your racing or getting on it? i just want the shift to be smooth sometimes i can get it smooth other times its jerky...
Reverence
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Peugeot 307 2L

Post by Reverence »

OK,

Timing between shifts are different at different rpms.

The lower the rpms, the faster the timing between shifts
The higher the rpms, the slower the timing between shifts

If you are racing, I assume you would be reving high before upshifts, in which case you should wait a tad more before releasing the clutch pedal.

To illustrate it,
if I shift at 5000rpms
-from 1st to 2nd, I have to wait around 2 seconds before I release the clutch,
-from 2nd to 3rd, I have to wait around 1 second
-3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th is also 1 second/

if I shift at 3000rpms
-From 1st to 2nd, have to wait 1 second
-2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, etc, I don't need to wait, I complete the shift and dump clutch pedal immediately.

If you are 'racing' (shifting at high rpms) and don't want to wait the extended time to complete the shift (you're concerned about the deceleration) but you still want to keep the upshifts smooth, then you can release your clutch pedal slowly through friction point as soon as you are in gear. That will slowly accelerate the car as the clutch pulls the rev down....and wears a little at the same time. :twisted:
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

shiftsmoother wrote:how would you rev match upshift if your racing
You don't. If you're racing, you accept that your shifts will be very rough. You only need to smooth your shifts if they threaten to break your traction. The guy who tries to rev-match his upshifts loses the race.

In some racing situations, as I understand, you also accept that you'll be abusing your car and you really beat the hell out of the transmission by ripping the shifter hard, never letting the gas pedal off the floor, and barely using the clutch pedal.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

Typically when racing, you need to take into account how grabby your clutch is.
Going off the fact that its a stock clutch, for every shift that will not chirp the tires you need to release the throttle a tad during each shift to make it easier for the clutch to drag the rpms down in the next gear. If you don't you will be slipping the clutch for each of those high rpm upshifts.

The best method for keeping your times low and transferring most power would be to release the throttle half way, a split second before a quick upshift, then back to the floor as the clutch comes up. This makes it easier to drag the rpm down and re apply max power.

The timing of the gas pedal is going to be different depending on the type of throttle and how responsive it is.