shifting gears a good technique

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
ra6115
Junior Standardshifter

Re: shifting gears a good technique

Post by ra6115 »

six wrote:^ That is an interesting way to go into 3rd. If I do that, I go into 5th instead.
dont push it exactly away from you push it in a short diagonal line, and that technique is only if you have ended up mis shifting more than once. I actually use this http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_shifting
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

That's the link I was looking for. Good find!
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

I'm gonna go ahead and throw this out there...
permabanned wrote:its pretty sad that people have to be taught how to move their hands around the steering wheel and how to hold the shifter for certain shifts. if you cant figure out how to turn the steering wheel without being told how to move your hands around it or how to get the shifter into different gears you should stick to riding the bus with an elevator on the side
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TBH, I just got in the car and did whatever felt natural(twss?)
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Matt, I totally agree with what Roman said there. 100%
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I only cared about hand position after I read about it. When I first started I shifted pretty well without considering hand position, but I think giving it a little thought has improved my shifts.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
MidnightInGotham
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 GTI

Post by MidnightInGotham »

My question on this, when I go 4>5 I put some lateral (sideways pressure) when I shift and do the "shift towards the glove box" I guess (almost a diagonal shift in a sense). Once or twice there has been a slight squeak like plastic on plastic if I have put too much pressure sideways. Obviously I don't want to cause damage, is that sound like the shift fork on the synchro? And is it bad to put sideways pressure on the shifter coming out of 4th?

It feels too slow to do the straight up out of 4, right, up into 5th and my revs drop quickly on this shift.
2016 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn Performance Pack
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

For a squeak I would guess there are plastic parts rubbing directly under the shifter boot, not anything in the transmission. Some lubricant may help.

For any shift where your engine speed drops too quickly you can always keep the engine speed up with your right foot. Back in the days before computers started meddling with throttle, that was normal for almost all shifts in almost all cars.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

MidnightInGotham wrote:My question on this, when I go 4>5 I put some lateral (sideways pressure) when I shift and do the "shift towards the glove box" I guess (almost a diagonal shift in a sense). Once or twice there has been a slight squeak like plastic on plastic if I have put too much pressure sideways. Obviously I don't want to cause damage, is that sound like the shift fork on the synchro? And is it bad to put sideways pressure on the shifter coming out of 4th?

It feels too slow to do the straight up out of 4, right, up into 5th and my revs drop quickly on this shift.
Again, same model and car... when I first started I felt like this was the hardest shift to do 4>5. I felt like it was the weirdest to feel about because the distance between 2>3 and 4>5 didn't really feel consistent. I think you'll end up getting used to it though with more experience... I've really smoothed things out with time. I don't have any squeaks or weird sounds though when moving the lever so maybe that is something to get checked out... I do apply sideways pressure pretty much as soon as I start moving out of 4th. My mentality is pretty much to put the lever to the glove box (exaggerated but the movement I do is exaggerated so I get it right the first time). The revs do seem to drop really fast between 4>5 so I ease into the throttle as I'm upshifting to balance it out. Goodluck!
MidnightInGotham
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 GTI

Post by MidnightInGotham »

Teamwork wrote:
MidnightInGotham wrote:My question on this, when I go 4>5 I put some lateral (sideways pressure) when I shift and do the "shift towards the glove box" I guess (almost a diagonal shift in a sense). Once or twice there has been a slight squeak like plastic on plastic if I have put too much pressure sideways. Obviously I don't want to cause damage, is that sound like the shift fork on the synchro? And is it bad to put sideways pressure on the shifter coming out of 4th?

Again, same model and car... when I first started I felt like this was the hardest shift to do 4>5. I felt like it was the weirdest to feel about because the distance between 2>3 and 4>5 didn't really feel consistent. I think you'll end up getting used to it though with more experience... I've really smoothed things out with time. I don't have any squeaks or weird sounds though when moving the lever so maybe that is something to get checked out... I do apply sideways pressure pretty much as soon as I start moving out of 4th. My mentality is pretty much to put the lever to the glove box (exaggerated but the movement I do is exaggerated so I get it right the first time). The revs do seem to drop really fast between 4>5 so I ease into the throttle as I'm upshifting to balance it out. Goodluck!

Thanks again for the feedback! The squeak has only happens twice, once accidentally and once when trying to replicate. Try it with the car off, clutch in and put it into 4, put some sideways pressure (I'm probably putting too much) and go into 5. If it keeps going I'll bring it up, also the car has a free 30 day checkup on Saturday so I might point it out.
2016 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn Performance Pack
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

MidnightInGotham wrote:Thanks again for the feedback! The squeak has only happens twice, once accidentally and once when trying to replicate. Try it with the car off, clutch in and put it into 4, put some sideways pressure (I'm probably putting too much) and go into 5. If it keeps going I'll bring it up, also the car has a free 30 day checkup on Saturday so I might point it out.
I think this gear box is pretty good in terms of gates, feel, and engagement. The only gear I've ever grinded was in reverse and that was self inflicted and not the cars fault. Reverse gear has always felt extremely mushy to me and I'd just err on the side of caution when it's cold out- I sometimes have a problem putting it in all the way. 1st and 2nd is a hard upshift because it requires balance with the clutch and you're also playing with rev hang. 4th to 5th is the opposite problem because it naturally is taking you longer to move the lever (you're probably taking time and care) and the revs drop underneath the desired amount. This plagued me for a good month or two and I myself asked for advice here even in regards to it. Like I said though just try and be quicker and "preset" your movements. As soon as that clutch goes down start moving out of 4th (scrape to the right) and get it into 5th which will feel like the glove box and you can pretty much lift off the clutch fairly fast. If I know I took too much time I'll add a touch of throttle to re-rise the revs upon engagement. If I could do it... anyone could get it down- but it did take time!