Uphill Launches Without Handbrake

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Uphill Launches Without Handbrake

Post by AHTOXA »

The real question is whether standing on your dick makes the hill any bigger.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^Pissing into the ocean makes it deeper, right?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:^Holding a car still on a hill by slipping the clutch is about the most thermally abusive thing you can do to the clutch facing material.

Yup, it sure is....and that's exactly why I said it's not good to do. I was making a point by illustrating that any car is capable of being held on a hill with the clutch. It doesn't matter how much torque the engine makes.
Starting on a hill without using the e-brake doesn't make your dick any bigger either.
No, the ability to start on a hill without using the e-brake is not in any way directly related to penis size. I know a few women who can do it like pros, and I can assure you that none of them has a penis of any size.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Shadow wrote: However,

I have driven fully loaded stick shift buses on steep hill where this technique worked. And when I tried the same hill in my xB, the car just rolled down hill as soon as I released the brake. Having the clutch at the friction point did nothing. I could launch with this technique, in vehicles that have the capability to hold on a hill with the clutch alone. I just prefer not to; I prefer to release my brakes when I'm good and ready.
Have you ever seen someone hold his/her car on a hill with the clutch? It's not a good thing to do, but it can be done in every car. The car doesn't need to make a lot of torque...it just needs to have a clutch that's in good repair. If your Scion can't be held on a hill with its clutch, you might want to bring it in for repair.

I have seen it. And as I mentioned, I did it in a fully loaded bus before. When it comes to my car, it just doesn't have idle torque to do it. If I have it at the friction point, it rolls down hill. If I release it more, it stalls before the clutch can grab hard enough to hold on a hill. If all the cars in your experience can hold on a hill with the clutch, you might want to broaden your stick shift experience.
Reverence
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Peugeot 307 2L

Post by Reverence »

As Scion said, not every car can be held still on a hill at FP. Some cars are just too heavy for the engine they are fitted with, and/or, have too low a torque at idle/low rpms.
Some cars can't even be no gas launched in a reasonable time, just like no gas launching in 3rd.
Reverence
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Reverence »

Shadow wrote: No, the ability to start on a hill without using the e-brake is not in any way directly related to penis size. I know a few women who can do it like pros, and I can assure you that none of them has a penis of any size.
Having a 3rd leg definitely helps when driving a stick shifter up the hill.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

So applying a bit of clutch for a split second to hold the car is bad? I thought I read that it was the correct way to do it..or one of two correct ways to do it
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
scionkid
Master Standardshifter

Post by scionkid »

Reverence wrote:
Shadow wrote: No, the ability to start on a hill without using the e-brake is not in any way directly related to penis size. I know a few women who can do it like pros, and I can assure you that none of them has a penis of any size.
Having a 3rd leg definitely helps when driving a stick shifter up the hill.
"He doesn't even need a stick, he's gonna smack the puck with his ......."
Chris Rock on Lebron and Hockey
bk7794 wrote:So applying a bit of clutch for a split second to hold the car is bad? I thought I read that it was the correct way to do it..
Yes, it is bad for the clutch. Starting on a hill is bad for the clutch. The idea is to use the least abusive method. Holding the car with the clutch for a split second (count one thou. . . , and you're moving ) is acceptable. Holding it for 10 seconds or so is not.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Shadow wrote:I know a few women who can do it like pros, and I can assure you that none of them has a penis of any size.
bk7794 wrote:So applying a bit of clutch for a split second to hold the car is bad? I thought I read that it was the correct way to do it..or one of two correct ways to do it
It's fine. The clutch is designed to be used exactly that way.

Holding the car on the hill for two minutes with the clutch while you wait for a long traffic light is bad.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

scionkid wrote:

I have seen it. And as I mentioned, I did it in a fully loaded bus before. When it comes to my car, it just doesn't have idle torque to do it. If I have it at the friction point, it rolls down hill. If I release it more, it stalls before the clutch can grab hard enough to hold on a hill. If all the cars in your experience can hold on a hill with the clutch, you might want to broaden your stick shift experience.

Show me. Post a video of your car rolling backwards while trying to hold it on a hill using the clutch. Until then, I simply don't believe it....unless you have a severely worn or slipping clutch. That's why I said you might want to have it check out/repaired.

As for my stick shift experience....it's pretty broad already. Started driving stick 26 years ago when I got my learner's permit. I've owned at least 15 stick shift cars during that time (I'd have to really think back and count to know for sure) and I've driven countless others.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

bk7794 wrote:So applying a bit of clutch for a split second to hold the car is bad? I thought I read that it was the correct way to do it..or one of two correct ways to do it
A split second? No, that's not bad at all....in fact, that's how everyone starts on a hill, whether they know it or not. Even if someone uses his/her handbrake to stop from rolling backwards, it still has to be released in order to move forward and for that split second it is the clutch that's holding the car from rolling backwards.

When you start moving from a dead stop on a level surface, the clutch slips enough to transition from disengaged to engaged. That's the whole purpose of a clutch. On a hill, the clutch just slips a bit more because the car tends to roll backwards. Gravity can be a bitch! LOL
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Hmm.... this discussion got me thinking... how many of us need to use the handbrake to start off on a hill. So I created a poll thread here:

http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 10&t=13568

The results should be interesting.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter

Post by scionkid »

Shadow wrote:
scionkid wrote: I have seen it. And as I mentioned, I did it in a fully loaded bus before. When it comes to my car, it just doesn't have idle torque to do it. If I have it at the friction point, it rolls down hill. If I release it more, it stalls before the clutch can grab hard enough to hold on a hill. If all the cars in your experience can hold on a hill with the clutch, you might want to broaden your stick shift experience.

Show me. Post a video of your car rolling backwards while trying to hold it on a hill using the clutch. Until then, I simply don't believe it....unless you have a severely worn or slipping clutch. That's why I said you might want to have it check out/repaired.
I don't have my car anymore. But you can go test drive a Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta, or any other subcompacts, put yourself on a steep hill (looking at the sky steep), and you can see for yourself. When I last had my car, I know that the clutch was still good. It wasn't slipping when I gave it full throttle at peak torque. That's what the clutch really needed to do.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

scionkid wrote:
I don't have my car anymore. But you can go test drive a Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta, or any other subcompacts, put yourself on a steep hill (looking at the sky steep), and you can see for yourself. When I last had my car, I know that the clutch was still good. It wasn't slipping when I gave it full throttle at peak torque. That's what the clutch really needed to do.
I used to work at a Toyota dealership as a tech. I've driven plenty of Scions. I have to admit that I've never driven a Yaris though...they weren't around when I worked at Toyota.
Reverence
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Reverence »

You could also try an Audi A6L with a 2.0T engine. Before the Turbo kicks in at around 1500rpm, you don't have any torque at all!! that thing is so heavy it won't no gas launch, it won't be held on a hill with the clutch.