Question about launching

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
tmv_televators
Junior Standardshifter

Question about launching

Post by tmv_televators »

Is it bad for the engine to be bogging slightly while launching? I've been driving a standard for about a month now and am pretty proficient, but I'm still having trouble giving the right amount of gas with how fast I'm letting out the clutch, and it usually ends up in the engine bogging slightly. Is this something I should try to fix or is it not much of a problem? (I drive a 2001 VW Golf with a 2.0L, if that helps.)
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Question about launching

Post by Shadow »

Try varying the speed that you let the clutch pedal up.
Charles421
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 BMW 335i Coupe, 6MT

Post by Charles421 »

Shadow wrote:Try varying the speed that you let the clutch pedal up.
I think this is good advice. Go in a parking lot and try it. Repetition helps.

Suggestion: while in the parking lot, take off your shoes and try launching the car with just the clutch. This will tell you the exact point where the clutch grabs.
2011 BMW E92 335i: Le Mans Blue, M Sport, 6MT w/ CDV Mod, BMW Performance Exhaust + Style 269 19" Wheels
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I think the taking off the shoes part actually can make a huge difference when first learning a car. Feeling the mechanical bits with your feet gives you a much better indication of where the clutch needs to be released to exactly. I find it fun every now and then to drive someplace shoeless just to feel the pedals differently.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:I think the taking off the shoes part actually can make a huge difference when first learning a car. Feeling the mechanical bits with your feet gives you a much better indication of where the clutch needs to be released to exactly. I find it fun every now and then to drive someplace shoeless just to feel the pedals differently.
Yeah, what he said, except apply it to learning to ride a bike no-handedly by practicing w/o pants.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Unless I have to be wearing closed shoes (boots to work, anything in winter), I wear flip-flops. I always kick them off before I drive. Barefoot is my prefered method, especially when driving more spiritedly.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:Barefoot is my prefered method, especially when driving more spiritedly.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"