My car doesn't "No gas" launch? <_<

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Angelbroken
Junior Standardshifter

My car doesn't "No gas" launch? <_<

Post by Angelbroken »

So I heard a lot of people here say try no gas launching. But I don't think my car DOES <_< If I ride my clutch on the friction point the most I get is a very slow crawl while the vehicle shudders in near stall mode. If I lower it even slightly, it disengages. I heard people say Honda's are easy to drive but I don't know about THIS one. The jeep I drove previously was SO easy to no gas launch. This car seems to be either "Full power" or nothing XD
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Re: My car doesn't "No gas" launch? <_<

Post by bk7794 »

Angelbroken wrote:So I heard a lot of people here say try no gas launching. But I don't think my car DOES <_< If I ride my clutch on the friction point the most I get is a very slow crawl while the vehicle shudders in near stall mode. If I lower it even slightly, it disengages. I heard people say Honda's are easy to drive but I don't know about THIS one. The jeep I drove previously was SO easy to no gas launch. This car seems to be either "Full power" or nothing XD
My honda will not no gas start in traffic...in my drive way I did the no gas thing cause it was pitted, and I did it on a level parking lot...but it took a while. If your in traffic just give it slight gas.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Angelbroken
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Angelbroken »

bk7794 wrote:
Angelbroken wrote:So I heard a lot of people here say try no gas launching. But I don't think my car DOES <_< If I ride my clutch on the friction point the most I get is a very slow crawl while the vehicle shudders in near stall mode. If I lower it even slightly, it disengages. I heard people say Honda's are easy to drive but I don't know about THIS one. The jeep I drove previously was SO easy to no gas launch. This car seems to be either "Full power" or nothing XD
My honda will not no gas start in traffic...in my drive way I did the no gas thing cause it was pitted, and I did it on a level parking lot...but it took a while. If your in traffic just give it slight gas.
Oh I know - Glad to know it's not just ME or worse, MY car. Even for very precise, slow movements like for parking, I always have my foot on the gas revving slightly. It simply won't go if I don't. And I hate stalling so I always like to keep it as far away from stalling as possible.

EDIT: Yeah I watched some videos on people with bigger vehicles and engines and how they can just "no gas launch" and even "no gas shift" into gears up to 3 and 4 and yeah. . .ANYONE wanna trade? =X That kinda vehicle sounds so much easier to learn stick on then my car >_< My car certainly cannot no gas shift into high gears, let alone gear 1 >_<
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

2 things:

You are not expected to launch like that in traffic. You just need to know where in the pedal travel the clutch begins to grab. Because that's precisely when you should start to add gas, not a moment before.

Those big vehicles you mentioned are not very forgiving to mismatched rev during shifts. even if you can get it in gear, it would not be a smooth ride. Start with a small engine and learn the skill properly.
Angelbroken
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Angelbroken »

scionkid wrote:2 things:

You are not expected to launch like that in traffic. You just need to know where in the pedal travel the clutch begins to grab. Because that's precisely when you should start to add gas, not a moment before.

Those big vehicles you mentioned are not very forgiving to mismatched rev during shifts. even if you can get it in gear, it would not be a smooth ride. Start with a small engine and learn the skill properly.
Very true - And Im not complaining - I mean I think I'm doing pretty good for not even a week of Standard experience - I'm just saying my car certainly does not "launch" on its own XD I always need gas at the friction point or else it just sits there shuddering which probably isn't good for the poor thing.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

No gas shift? What?

Any car can do a no gas launch. Those will less torque will just take longer. Since gears are torque multipliers, gearing for 1st will matter.

Also, being easy to drive doesn't necessarily equate with ability to no gas launch or even a bigger motor. True, often it's easier to drive with more torque but overall experience depends from car model to model.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:No gas shift? What?
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 10&t=10690

I ought to try it in the Buick.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

AHTOXA wrote:No gas shift? What?

Any car can do a no gas launch. Those will less torque will just take longer. Since gears are torque multipliers, gearing for 1st will matter.

Also, being easy to drive doesn't necessarily equate with ability to no gas launch or even a bigger motor. True, often it's easier to drive with more torque but overall experience depends from car model to model.
Word. Keep at it, OP.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
ashowofhands
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2003 Outback (dad's)

Post by ashowofhands »

my outback hates low RPMs. i can still do no-gas launches, but i rarely do them with the engine hot (it's generally if i need to move the car inches at a time). when the engine is cold and idling at 1500-2000, however, it no-gas launches smooth as silk. it's how i back it out of the garage every time.
it can be done in every car, some cars will just require a whole lot more clutch slipping, and then move at a reeeaaalllly low speed. as an example of a contrast to my subaru, i had to move a jeep wrangler across a parking lot once, and (with a cold engine) never even released the clutch all the way (about halfway through the engagement it already felt like auto-creep!)
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

when i saw the title of this thread i immediately was picturing a civic. had the same "issue" in my old civic.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I'm thinking I should start driving after having had beans. I think my car is very "no-gas launch" averse. 8)

I think my car has a friction point the size of a gnat's hindquarters. It seems like I can get there and then a mm later all is done.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!