I just realized I have been living in Hell

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: I just realized I have been living in Hell

Post by tankinbeans »

scionkid wrote:
kayubassist wrote:downshifting is tricky for a noob i guess.
while concentrating on the road for what is going on around me, you need to do the clutch work, blip the throttle and move the shiter and complete the shift in like what? 1 second?
Generally, launching is all about clutch technique; rev matching is about throttle technique. When shifting, the clutch is either in or out. The shifter is going from gear to gear. Both of those require very little attention.

Put majority of your mental effort on steering the car and, only if it is safe to do so, work on your rev. If you can't get it right, you can always drive around with your clutch down until you're ready to match rev. Also, 1 second seems short, but it is plenty of time to get to the right rev.
I was kind of hoping that somebody would bring up the downshifting again. Yesterday, I decided to go for a little drive and think I got rev-match downshift pretty much down. Going 55 mph I was cycling between 6 and 4. The only thing I noticed was that there was a slight jump from the car, probably because I didn't get it bang on, but it's better than nothing. I still can't heal-toe because I think my pedals are too far apart. Is this the right technique?

Sorry, OP, I kind of jacked your thread for a second. 8)
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Sounds like your technique is working for you.

For heel-toe, is there no angle you can use? Are you able to turn your foot completely sideways?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote:Sounds like your technique is working for you.

For heel-toe, is there no angle you can use? Are you able to turn your foot completely sideways?
I can get my foot to be able to modulate both pedals, but when I brake and try to use the accelerator as well I will have applied enough braking force to snap my head forward, and it's uncomfortable on my ankle. I could try with my heel on the brake and my toe on the accelerator, but not sure.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Heel-toe's most important job is during that kind of heavy braking. If you have a good pedal setup then it's fun to practice in situations with lighter braking, but there's generally no need for it.

My feet don't turn inwards. I can't heel the gas and toe the brake at all. I can pretty easily heel the brake and toe the accelerator but it's tough to modulate. When I put together my car I made the pedals very close so I can straddle them with my foot straight ahead, brake on the left edge of my foot and accelerator on the right edge.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

I've been practicing downshifting on my way to downtown (40 minute city driving) and dealer, and it was pretty fun especially when there is absolutely no jerking.
I just need to do it fast though.
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote:Heel-toe's most important job is during that kind of heavy braking. If you have a good pedal setup then it's fun to practice in situations with lighter braking, but there's generally no need for it.

My feet don't turn inwards. I can't heel the gas and toe the brake at all. I can pretty easily heel the brake and toe the accelerator but it's tough to modulate. When I put together my car I made the pedals very close so I can straddle them with my foot straight ahead, brake on the left edge of my foot and accelerator on the right edge.
I guess I'll have to practice, but it's not a big deal since I don't ever plan on taking my car to a track (and I'm not dumb enough to try street racing - I'd get laughed out of the state trying that in my car that, while fast enough for me, is relatively pedestrian). I want to try to practice it so that I can complete my turns without having to slow way down. I do have to say that rev-matching into second is summat of a challenge. I have gotten to the point where it goes smoothly 6-5, 5-4, 4-3, but still have moments where I'm a little herky-jerky, but practice makes perfect.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

tankinbeans wrote:I do have to say that rev-matching into second is summat of a challenge.
Try downshifting to 1st gear.