speed bumps on an up-ramp

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Rob
Junior Standardshifter

speed bumps on an up-ramp

Post by Rob »

hi,
my housing association recently installed two speed bumps (big ones, as in, huge) on the ramp down into the complex car park. Fine on the way down... but on the way up they are quite an issue in my 2008 stick-shift Mini Cooper Convertible.

First let me say I'm not new to driving a stick-shift. I learned in a stick shift, and have driven only a stick shift for the last 16 years. I happen to think I'm pretty good at it, even if I do say so myself :) Well, hey, my driving instructor said so too.

So... the problem :I did some experiments when the bumps were new, and tore a jacking point off the underside of my car by taking the bumps at the idle speed of my car (ie. the speed it will do in first gear with my foot off the gas pedal). That was 7mph. So, that's the effective speed limit. 6mph doesn't damage the car but it is uncomfortable (whiplash). I currently have 3 methods for getting up the ramp over the speed bumps :

1) Stop at the bump. Creep over at 1mph. This works reliably, but I'm pulling over a huge bump that's already on a hill. It must burn a lot of clutch, and for that reason I don't think it's an acceptable method for the long haul (ie. every day).

2) Slip the clutch as I go up the entire ramp (maybe 150ft) and try to maintain exactly 4-5mph. This I can do, but it's very difficult. The problem is that while holding the clutch rock steady as you go up a hill is possible, holding it rock steady while going over bumps is really hard. If your foot moves you could be doing 7mph real fast, and then you lose part of your undercarriage. I figure it's also bad for the clutch to do it this way. So, again, probably not good for the long haul. I might manage it 9 times out of 10, but eventually I'll screw up and be minus another jacking point.

3) Put the car in first gear, and then, foot off the gas, push down on the brake. If I push hard enough I'll stall it, I know, but it turns out I can slow the car from 7mph (the speed it wants to do) to 5mph (safe bump driving speed) without stalling. It does make the car shudder though. This is my current preferred method.

So, my questions:

a) Is method 3 bad for the car/engine? What's all that shuddering about?

b) Is method 3 doomed to fail as the weather gets colder? I figure that as the temperature drops the automatic choke (or whatever its modern electronic equivalent is) will increase the idle rev count when the engine is cold (which it always is when I'm leaving the complex). Increased idle rev count presumably must translate to increased idle speed when the car is in gear... and if the car wants to do 12mph, will I still be able to get that down to 5mph using the brake, or will the car stall? I've assumed it will up to now, but I realize that's an assumption, and I might be wrong.

Thanks in advance
Rob
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: speed bumps on an up-ramp

Post by theholycow »

Method 3 probably won't hurt anything and if it wasn't uncomfortable (shuddering) I'd do it.

Cold weather shouldn't be a problem. Even if you get a higher idle, it should be fine when you force it down.

Given the shuddering, I'd do something more like method 1, though a little faster and without stopping in the first place...just slow down like method 3, then step partially on the clutch pedal until you can go a little slower. Your extra clutch wear will simply be a normal cost of parking in that lot.

Does the bump have a small space to its right where you could squeeze two wheels through, so only your left wheels go over? That might allow you to go over faster. Also, going diagonally over may allow you to go over faster.

Don't forget to complain that the bump is damaging to your car even at very low speeds.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Reverence
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Peugeot 307 2L

Post by Reverence »

I'll say, 2), slip it, but pivot your heel on the floor so that rocking movement of your car does not de-stabilize your foot position on the clutch.

you could also pulse around FP, without fully being in or out of FP range. Clutch in a little when car is faster than you want and clutch out /re-launch when almost at a stand still. Pivoting again helps if your car is going to toss due to speed bumps.

If your car can handle it, do both without gas.
Rob
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Rob »

> Does the bump have a small space to its right where you could squeeze two wheels through, so only your left wheels go over?

no, no spaces.

> Don't forget to complain that the bump is damaging to your car even at very low speeds.

Oh, I've done plenty of that. It hasn't had any beneficial effect yet though.

Thanks for the comments so far.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

damn that stinks. i hate the speed humps on flat roads as it is; can't imagine having to deal with them on a regular basis on a ramp, let alone a curving ramp :? :evil:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rob
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Rob »

It does stink!

So, what I'm wondering is, is method 3 just a novel way of "lugging" the engine. My understanding is that this is when you're in a gear too low for the speed you are doing, and applying gas. In this case the gear is 1st, but I'm still going too slow for it (by applying the brake), and it's the automatic choke that's applying the gas, not me... but the effect is the same. Any views on this?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

There are varying definitions of "lugging", but I think most of them are more about load or effect and wouldn't really get involved in this issue unless you're really laying hard on that accelerator pedal.

It may be more practical to look at it as a matter of the effect it will have on your car. Forcing your RPM below idle is not going to destroy anything once in a while. I'm not qualified to say for sure but it's probably ok to do daily - and I am sure that plenty of people would disagree. The worst effect I can think of is momentarily inadequate oil pressure in the engine; you would get a warning light on your dash if that happened.

IMO if it's just a little bit then you should do it that way every day, but if it's severe then you should slip the clutch and let your RPM be a little higher.

Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

You should be able to stay in first gear and just use the brake pedal to slowly bring you over the speed bump. Even on a hill, the engine shouldn't stall as long as the car continues to move without stopping.

BTW, I absolutely hate speed bumps. There's never a good reason to have speed bumps anywhere...they are installed because of irresponsible drivers who don't know when to keep their speed in check.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Method 4:

Go over the bump at an angle, and really exaggerate it, if there's room for it. Take a path that is less steep than facing the mountain head on.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

scionkid wrote:Method 4:

Go over the bump at an angle, and really exaggerate it, if there's room for it. Take a path that is less steep than facing the mountain head on.
Especially if you know who wanted the speed bump installed and they happen to be going the other direction at that time... :wink:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Bonus points for stalling on purpose. Don't forget to shift to neutral before a restart
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Cevrolet Caprice STW (at)

Post by mad_finn »

method 5
come the ramp up just like the bump wouldn't be there, couple feet before the bump, cutch in, and let the car roll uphill so that if you wouldn't -apply brake/clutch out and accelerate- it would start rolling backwards so that front wheels just barely hit the bump.
just before you stop, perform "a set off from dead stop", while you still barely moveing, but going an uphill AND the bump at same time it should feel like spike from
7-8 mph-> 2mph -> 6-7mph allthough smooth spike...

if U didn't get what I meaned, just say so and I'll explane it more precisely.
13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

THIS!
I saw one for sale on the side of Lapeer road up by Metamora, MI as I drove home from camping Sunday.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Graders are kinda awesome.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I drove a lot of different graders in the last year,....... when I was "Guest Teaching"
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"