Messed up a shift badly...

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
ashowofhands
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2003 Outback (dad's)

Re: Messed up a shift badly...

Post by ashowofhands »

kayubassist wrote:
scionkid wrote:You didn't get it completely in 2nd and it popped
out. Usually, it is harmless.
I had a similar accident today.
I was stopped at a red light and waiting for the green light.
The light turned green so I push in the clutch and shift to 1st and let go of the clutch while giving gas.
and then BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very loud) the shifter popped out and car no go.
There was some hesitation when I was moving the shifter into 1st. I guess I hadn't fully pushed it in.

The car is fine after that. Any possible damage? (sorry OP to threadjack... just found this post and thought it was similar)
heh, sometimes i plain old forget to put my car from neutral back into first after a long red light. takes about a second of aimless revving before i realize what happened and perform a proper launch.

the only other mis-shift story i have is one time when i was incredibly tired (at the end of a long day after about 3 hours of sleep), cruising on a windy and somewhat hilly road in the 40-50mph range, so i was going back and forth between 4th and 5th a lot, but for some reason almost every time i tried to go into 5th i hit 3rd instead on the first try (or two)...makes you feel stupid but didn't really do any damage.