The Next Step?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Angelbroken
Junior Standardshifter

The Next Step?

Post by Angelbroken »

So the past week of car practice have gone GREATLY. I can't even remember the last time I stalled - And I only had one moment when I came 'close' to stalling but didn't allow it to go that far.

Basically I'm pretty confident in traffic now - and I've even started driving it to work - which has a few nasty hills that still scare me a bit :lol: But I've practiced the "emergency brake" technique and am getting fairly good at it, considering I parallel park my car each night on a VERY steep street so I get a lot of "emergency brake" (when to release and when to raise it up) which parking each time I come home.

ANYWAY - I'm wondering whats the next step? Do I just keep driving and enjoy my car and everything 'fine tunes' with time? Or should I focus on specific things? (such as working on smoothing out my shifts from 1st - 2nd, or learning to "speed off" with hill launches rather then taking your time)

Thanks for all your support - I'm very happy I'm starting to enjoy my car more thanks to your guys!

So far my car only has 100 miles on it (From me) and I'm loving it! Next thing to do is to replace the CD Deck with a newer one so I can plug my iPod in. . And just for fun - Here is a picture of my two cars. My old, Automatic (the Beige Reliant) and my Honda Prelude =D I http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/9192 ... arsion.jpg
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: The Next Step?

Post by theholycow »

That much improvement with only 100 miles experience? Wow!

Just keep driving and enjoy your car. As you drive you will identify the things you'd like to improve.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I'd say keep driving your car and enjoying the ride. As the cow said, things will fall into place eventually. I can tell I'm getting better, but am not forcing the issue by focusing on "fixing stuff". When you start thinking, you start goofing up again. I more or less let my body make the adjustments with little braining going on.

I can't say I was that comfortable after 100 miles. I'd say that I really started getting less wonky when I rolled about 6000 miles.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Just continue to refine your driving until you're completely satisfied with the way the car responds to your input. If ultra-smooth shifting is important to you, then work on your shifting until you (or your passengers) can't feel your shifts at all. If hill starts are an issue, work on them. The great thing about mastering a manual transmission is that you're essentially practicing every time you drive the car.
Angelbroken
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Angelbroken »

Well, to be fair, every 100 of those miles were in stop and go, city driving - so literally every mile was a learning step for me LOL And I was VERY frustrated, almost to the point of regretting buying it, at times becuase of it. But now I think the "steep" part of the learning curve is over - the next thing I need to practice more is getting VERY comfortable with hills - Other then that, maybe smoothing out my 1st-2nd Shift?

I find my downshifts are EXTREMELY smooth. . Like when I'm in 3rd or 4th and come to a corner - I shift to 2nd, brake, then ease off the clutch and I go "Wow. . how was that smooth?". . I guess if I don't let my brain think, I perform a lot better :lol: But my upshifts from 1st to 2nd are still nothing wonderful. Usually it's 50/50 - Half the time its a smooth shift, half the time it jerks a bit. But I doubt its hurting the car at all - I hope anyway
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Angelbroken wrote:Well, to be fair, every 100 of those miles were in stop and go, city driving - so literally every mile was a learning step for me LOL And I was VERY frustrated, almost to the point of regretting buying it, at times becuase of it. But now I think the "steep" part of the learning curve is over - the next thing I need to practice more is getting VERY comfortable with hills - Other then that, maybe smoothing out my 1st-2nd Shift?

I find my downshifts are EXTREMELY smooth. . Like when I'm in 3rd or 4th and come to a corner - I shift to 2nd, brake, then ease off the clutch and I go "Wow. . how was that smooth?". . I guess if I don't let my brain think, I perform a lot better :lol: But my upshifts from 1st to 2nd are still nothing wonderful. Usually it's 50/50 - Half the time its a smooth shift, half the time it jerks a bit. But I doubt its hurting the car at all - I hope anyway

My upshifts are still nothing wonderful either. One thing I've found to work is to hold the clutch in for a fraction of a second to let the RPM come down upon completion of an upshift. It seems to prevent the car lurching quite so much, but every car varies so you'll have to play with it.

Enjoy your ride, what is it? I may have missed that part.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Usually it's 50/50 - Half the time its a smooth shift, half the time it jerks a bit.
So half the time you're a bit of a jerk. Sounds like a couple other of the posters around here.
Yule phit riot inn.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
gizmo
Master Standardshifter
Cars: tC

Post by gizmo »

at this rate you'll be a pro in a jiffy ( jiffy = 10 milliseconds).

in all seriousness, i'm still making dumb mistakes. just today i tried to launch in neutral, which was a blessing, because the RPMs skyrocketed. none of my shifts are smooth, and the few that are -- they always catch me by surprise. but i really enjoy driving a manual, and my bad knee is really starting to put a damper on it. if i can't find a new knee, at 27, i'll probably have to get myself a slushy. either that, or i need to man up, and deal with the pain. thank goodness i drive a rice burner, god knows what a cable clutch would do to this knee.

just try to have fun with it. in the end, you'll look back, and laugh at silly it was to get flustered over the whole thing. but it does put things in perspective, for such a simple device, we humans sure have a hard time operating them.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

The next step is applying for a stig position.

Or just driving.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Angelbroken
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Angelbroken »

Hm. . .well thanks guys - that really puts things into perspective on the progress I've been making - And I do love driving manual - The next step seems to be replacing my car's CD Deck with one thats iPod compatible :lol:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

next step: drive 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

I've only driven a manual car for 1 month now.
I think I am pretty comfortable with driving but still have trouble launching.
It's not whether I launch smoothly or not, but launching fast.
At a stop sign or red light, I start moving and it takes very long to reach the speed limit. People behind me get frustrated so that they pass me and give me the look.
If I just step on the gas hard, the rpm shoots up and I have to shift to 4th in a very short time and I can't do it that fast.
That's something I need to work on.
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

kayubassist wrote:I've only driven a manual car for 1 month now.
I think I am pretty comfortable with driving but still have trouble launching.
It's not whether I launch smoothly or not, but launching fast.
At a stop sign or red light, I start moving and it takes very long to reach the speed limit. People behind me get frustrated so that they pass me and give me the look.
If I just step on the gas hard, the rpm shoots up and I have to shift to 4th in a very short time and I can't do it that fast.
That's something I need to work on.
If they give you "the look" ignore them. People will get butt-hurt over anything. Don't let it bother you. Shoot for a good launch and then eventually you'll get comfortable with having all the power over your tq and hp. After all you control when your car shifts so you can ring it out if you'd like and get going rather quickly.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

kayubassist wrote:At a stop sign or red light, I start moving and it takes very long to reach the speed limit. People behind me get frustrated so that they pass me and give me the look.
So, it sounds like you're launching ok but you're not accelerating as fast as you like.

Why do you have difficulty shifting fast? What part is difficult?

If you want, you could skip-shift. Step on it hard, RPM and speed shoot up; instead of shifting to the next gear, skip one or two gears. That will avoid having to shift again too soon. You might want to wait until you're in 2nd before you step on it hard, as 1st may be too hyper.

However, here's what I would do (and, in fact, what I did do in my 2008 VW):
1st gear: Just get the car rolling. Immediately shift to 2nd.
2nd: Moderate throttle, shift into 3rd at ~15mph (your speed may vary).
3rd: Heavy throttle, shift into 4th at ~20mph (your speed may vary).
4th: Heavy throttle, shift into 5th at ~30mph (your speed may vary).
5th: Heavy throttle, wish I had a 6th.
I am good at shifting fast though...in the VW I could just slam the clutch pedal/dump the accelerator, flick the shifter quickly, and dump the clutch/slam the accelerator all in a quick moment.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

I usually take it slow because I am constantly listening to the engine sound when I drive while reading the tachometer.
not quite used to shifting by the 'feel' of the car.

didn't mean to thread jack op :wink:
I hope you find tank's and cow's responses helpful too.
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT