The Next Step?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Angelbroken
Junior Standardshifter

Re: The Next Step?

Post by Angelbroken »

Squint wrote:Unless the car doesn't start again after it stalls, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You're effectively turning the car off the same way you do when you turn the key back to electronics only. :wink:
Well thats the thing - I haven't really stalled my car that much - and today I basically 'popped' the clutch. . .I was tired from work, and wasn't paying attention and roughly stalled like that.

Thing is, my car refused to start after - It wasn't until I switch the car to OFF and then back to ON would it start again - Is this a safety feature? Or did I really mess something up? (It seems to run fine now - I mean I drove about 30KM after that stall - and it didn't sound or perform any differently)
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Angelbroken wrote:
Squint wrote:Unless the car doesn't start again after it stalls, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You're effectively turning the car off the same way you do when you turn the key back to electronics only. :wink:
Well thats the thing - I haven't really stalled my car that much - and today I basically 'popped' the clutch. . .I was tired from work, and wasn't paying attention and roughly stalled like that.

Thing is, my car refused to start after - It wasn't until I switch the car to OFF and then back to ON would it start again - Is this a safety feature? Or did I really mess something up? (It seems to run fine now - I mean I drove about 30KM after that stall - and it didn't sound or perform any differently)
It may very well me a "safety" feature. My friend recently bought a VW that requires you to completely turn the key to the off position before you can restart. My guess is that it's to prevent you grinding the starter, in case you think you've stalled, but the engine came back at the last second. I've done that before, and it's not a happy sound. Your car is probably find. :)
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:My guess is that it's to prevent you grinding the starter, in case you think you've stalled, but the engine came back at the last second.
This.

As for stalling, it's harmless. I did it about sixty billion times per day in the VW for like a year.

(Note: The previous sentence contains hyperbole.)
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Angelbroken
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Angelbroken »

Haha thanks guys - I do appreciate all the help and stories of when you guys were learning - Helps me not feel so horrible about my poor car.

What does grinding the starter sound like? I'm not sure if I ever did it - Basically what happened when I stalled today is I stalled at the light, big deal - I clutched in and proceeded to start the car. Nothing. All that I heard was the 'starter' going and no results. I had to completely switch the car to 'off' and then try again to get it to go.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

There's no mistaking the sound of trying to start a car that is already running. It's a loud, obvious, screeching grinding sound and you will let go of that key (or start button) as if you tried to pet a dog and it lunged at your hand. It is one of the worst sounds a car can make (despite being nowhere near the worst thing it can do), and evokes this reaction every time:

If you heard the starter going then that's different from the VW's behavior. Whether by design or not, the pinion (little gear on your starter) failed to engage the ring gear (big gear around the edge of the flywheel) and spun freely instead. The pinion only engages the ring gear while starting, and retracts away when not.

(Note: This post does not contain any hyperbole.)

Angelbroken
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Angelbroken »

Yikes - Okay that is DEFINITELY not what happened today (It just sounded like normal starting - it just didn't go anywhere till I shut the power off completely and turned it back on) I can't completely remember if it's a safety feature or not - it's been damn near a month since I stalled - so it was sorta embarrassing to have it sneak up on me like that >_< Oh well. Can't expect the moon right away.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

If the pinion failed to engage the ring gear then it wouldn't sound quite like normal starting...it's a faster, higher pitched, smoother whine when the starter spins with no load.

If it really sounded exactly like normal starting, except for not firing up, that is likely some kind of malfunction - but it's not caused by stalling or anything you did. If it only happened once then please do not worry about it.

Angelbroken
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Angelbroken »

Yeah thats the only time that's happened to me - and yes - it did sound a bit higher pitched, it certainly didn't sound normal; but it didn't sound horrible either <_<

Oh well, I don't think I'll worry about it to much, seeing how it worked fine for the other 30KM of stop and go traffic after the stall.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

theholycow wrote:There's no mistaking the sound of trying to start a car that is already running. It's a loud, obvious, screeching grinding sound and you will let go of that key (or start button) as if you tried to pet a dog and it lunged at your hand. It is one of the worst sounds a car can make (despite being nowhere near the worst thing it can do), and evokes this reaction every time:

If you heard the starter going then that's different from the VW's behavior. Whether by design or not, the pinion (little gear on your starter) failed to engage the ring gear (big gear around the edge of the flywheel) and spun freely instead. The pinion only engages the ring gear while starting, and retracts away when not.

(Note: This post does not contain any hyperbole.)

Funny. I did that to the rental today. That's EXACTLY what I looked like.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

I stalled my car about 30 times.
My friend's girlfriend stalled my friend's car, which I stalled about 10 times, like 60 times with heavy bucking and all. His car lasted forever.
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
Angelbroken
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Angelbroken »

kayubassist wrote:I stalled my car about 30 times.
My friend's girlfriend stalled my friend's car, which I stalled about 10 times, like 60 times with heavy bucking and all. His car lasted forever.
That does make me feel a lot better - My car is 1997, and has had 3 previous owners, even though you cannot tell (It's in amazing shape, and the engine was recently rebuilt)

Anyway, in total, I have had 2 'heavy bucking' stalls, and about 3 or 4 minor "idle out" stalls. I'm not sure if it's 'good or bad' considering I have about 200KM on it, buuuut - I just worry about car damage, rather then ego damage at this point. :lol:
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

You're doing fine.

Angelbroken
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Angelbroken »

You think so? I guess I am progressing quite well - Considering that a month ago the only knowledge I had with Standards were the few videos I watched on youtube XD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Angelbroken wrote:You think so? I guess I am progressing quite well - Considering that a month ago the only knowledge I had with Standards were the few videos I watched on youtube XD
If you were doing poorly you car would have given up the ghost by now. They're a lot more forgiving than any of us give them credit for...unless it's a Yugo. Even then I'm sure cars aren't that fragile. If you're not smelling ickies from the clutch and the engine isn't trying to leap out from under the bonnet on the expressway, the car is telling you "whatever, I'm here for ya."

I know people who abuse the crud out of their cars for fun and the cars take it. My friend used to do full throttle shits. Keeping the gas pedal floored while changing gear and the car didn't seem to mind. :D
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:My friend used to do full throttle shits.
:lol: