Was it just an 'off-day'?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Angelbroken
Junior Standardshifter

Was it just an 'off-day'?

Post by Angelbroken »

So yesterday I went to and from work, no problems.

Then later that evening I decided to get some supper at a fast food place since its been ages since Ive ate out. YIKES talk about traffic nightmare. I think it was my first experience in heavy heavy rush hour traffic. And although I didn't stall or anything nasty like that, I did get honked at twice, (The reason was becuase I was doing a left turn at a green light, no arrow, AND on a hill <_< That was the first time I ever did a hill start while watching 3 lanes of heavy traffic. Talk about freaky)

Regardless it sorta made my confidence as a standard trans driver go WAY down. . .and made me anxious for todays drive. (Even in an automatic, my confidence as a driver goes WAY down when I get honked at =/

But I did fine <_< Did a bunch of cool 'surprise' downshifts becuase some old guy cut me off. . and even those wont jerky - so I'm wonder if I just had an off day? Maybe becuase I was tired, hungry, and the stress of heavy rush our in an unfamilar part of the city got to me?

Either way, Im about to hit 200 miles on my car, and I'm loving it. I love the way the Honda engine sounds reving too when you really give it gas and shift later to get more power =D Something an automatic can't really do.

Also, for any honda drivers out there - Ive read that my engine (H22) is more of a 'high rev' engine. . .I often see myself cruising at 2.5K, and shifting within 3-4K. (sometimes even 4.5 if If Im in first and need to pick up speed quickly so Grandma behind me doesn't honk)

The engine doesn't sound stressed when I do this - infact it sounds 'normal' like its suppose to be revved that high. Any tips or info you could give me? Again, I'm just worrying about any damage I might be causing to my car :lol:

Anyway - thanks for all your help! This place really helped me get a grip on my car real fast
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Was it just an 'off-day'?

Post by tankinbeans »

Yes. You had an off day. I wouldn't worry about it too much, since we all have them. A couple weeks ago I had a terrible day where I was stalling and turning my car into a bucking Bronco every time I turned around, and completely lost confidence in myself and didn't know if I liked my car anymore. Then everything more or less smoothed out again, I'm still not entirely smooth on start ups and launching is still a minor issue, so all is good.

It doesn't sound like you moved a tree with your front end, or rearranged your fenders.
Angelbroken wrote:Again, I'm worried about all the damage I'm causing to my car.
I wouldn't. Cow has told me multiple times to stop thinking. It makes life so much easier. Your car will tell you when it wants to beat you. :mrgreen:

I've had moments where I thought my car was going to crumble to pieces, but I've started to attribute this to character. She is a very fickle dance partner, if you don't get the steps just right, she'll smash your toes and head-butt you into submission.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

hey look on the bright side.
by having a rough day, you can concentrate more on your driving and actually improve your driving skills.

like today, I had an off day too.
I never stalled my car in the last month or so, and then just today I stalled my car twice.

and then I kinda paid more attention to the clutch pedal and got my launch almost perfect every time I launched my car at a traffic light.

before that, I had no problem launching but they were all random, some smooth some bogging some with high rpm..etc.
but now I can launch almost perfect every time I launch my car.

I think you will actually learn something by having an off day. I think having an off day is actually beneficial because it kinda acts like a self-slap on the back of your head telling you not to get lazy with driving. :lol:
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

also, if you are worried about damaging your car, do what I do; watch other people do bucking bronco stalls on youtube. :lol:
it will make you feel better.

I used to watch videos on youtube that teach you how to drive manual. Watching other people keeping their left foot on the clutch for quite a bit of time to smooth out their launches and shifts actually helped me to get rid of the fear of using clutch too much.
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Everybody has off days. You did.

Tired, hungry, and stressed will affect your driving too.

Cruising at 2500 and shifting at 4000 is high-revving by my standards. By Honda standards it's probably a little low but you sound like you're not a hyper driver, so relatively low matches your style.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote:Everybody has off days. You did.

Tired, hungry, and stressed will affect your driving too.

Cruising at 2500 and shifting at 4000 is high-revving by my standards. By Honda standards it's probably a little low but you sound like you're not a hyper driver, so relatively low matches your style.
Don't forget needing to use the pottie after drinking a 64 oz diabetes special. :D

Lately, I've been cruising at 2500 RPM and shiting at 3000 to see if the wisdom out on the interwebz is correct, that there are differing optimum RPM ranges for different cars, for max fuel economy, depending on displacement. So far I'm not noticing a difference good or bad, but I am noticing the car feels more planted at higher RPM.

Sorry, Angelbroken, for the minor threadjack. :oops:
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

Don't worry about revving too high, that's what the H22 was designed to do. I learned to drive a manual on my brother's 2001 Prelude :D

We both beat the piss out of the car every time we drive it and it's still running strong with 240k miles. Nothing major was ever replaced on it...only regular/scheduled maintenance.
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:I've had moments where I thought my car was going to crumble to pieces, but I've started to attribute this to character. She is a very fickle dance partner, if you don't get the steps just right, she'll smash your toes and head-butt you into submission.
Submission? Deed zomeone zay "Submission"?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ashowofhands
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2003 Outback (dad's)

Post by ashowofhands »

one day over the summer, i was coming home from work. i hadn't stalled in months. couldn't even remember the last time i had, as a matter of fact...my driving on the whole was smoother than ever in general.
I had just worked 11 and a half hours straight, after sleeping for about 4, and I was dead tired as dead tired could be. I was waiting to make a left turn off of a main road, and when there was a break in the traffic, I went for it...and I stalled the car. Three times in a row. When i finally made it through i was launching around 3500 rpm in a huge panic -- nearly got rear-ended by a pickup truck because of my little slip-up.
everyone has their off moments, off days, even off weeks. It's nothing to worry too much about.