'Spirited' Driving?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Re: 'Spirited' Driving?

Post by kayubassist »

hmm

interesting post I found on internet.
I don't have the link but it's easily searchable on google.
the burning smell is coming from the rear wheel well area (not the hood) and that is because the salt used on roads in winter hit the exhaust pipe.
which kinda makes sense because I only smell it from the left rear area, and it is really severe these days than in the summer...

hmm i don't know...
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

yes

I still don't know if it's the right explanation though.
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I don't know that rock salt smells much when you heat it, unless you roast some beast in it.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
JHamilton
Master Standardshifter

Post by JHamilton »

kayubassist wrote:So,
I drove my car to the redline (2 to 3 to 4 all to the redline) for the first time since I got the car in August.
Since I didn't want to drop the clutch I tried to make shifts smooth.
After I parked my car in the driveway and got out of the car,
holy smokes burning smell everywhere! (no visible smoke or smell inside the cabin though)
Did I shift too slowly or some burning smell is acceptable after driving at redline? (I hope it is the oil burning lol)

if I want to shift at redline. is it better to just let go of the clutch fast and let the car take the shock or shift slowly and smoothly and enjoy the burning smell? (until I get better with manual)
When WOT just drop the clutch and mash the happy pedal in one swift motion... carefully as you are learning. The goal is to have the clutch down only to shift as you are not going for smooth but speed.

Smelling the clutch can indicate you were riding it too long.
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6MT
2011 Ram 1500 CC Laramie 4x4
mikebai1990
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mikebai1990 »

I drove my car to the redline (2 to 3 to 4 all to the redline) for the first time since I got the car in August.
holy smokes burning smell everywhere! (no visible smoke or smell inside the cabin though)
Did I shift too slowly or some burning smell is acceptable after driving at redline? (I hope it is the oil burning lol)

if I want to shift at redline. is it better to just let go of the clutch fast and let the car take the shock or shift slowly and smoothly and enjoy the burning smell? (until I get better with manual)
You're probably smelling the clutch. By making the shifts smooth you are using the clutch to bring the RPMs from redline back down to the appropriate RPM for your next gear. Since the RPM differential is going to be at least say 2000RPM (from 7000RPM in one gear to 5000RPM in the next), your clutch is doing a lot of work to bring that RPM down. I guess I would let out the clutch faster, but there's a certain balance between wearing out your clutch and wearing out your car's suspension/engine mounts from the shock. Maybe somebody else can offer a more definitive answer.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

tbh people probably mash the shifter through the gears to quick because they have watch too many f&f movies... :roll:

personally if i'm driving hard i like the kick due to shifting quicker than the rev drop, but realistically most my shifts I just wait and shift when the revs are a correct.

if you want a car where the revs plummet, go get a lightweight flywheel, etc and enjoy being able to shift smoother at high rpm. Just don't expect low rpm shifts to be much fun, you'll be having to slow the rpm down with your right foot every upshift..... great fun? No.
<3 fwd
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Bawked wrote:tbh people probably mash the shifter through the gears to quick because they have watch too many f&f movies... :roll:
Probably. The Fast and Furious movies are great fun, of the non-thinking sort, but I wouldn't change my driving habits based on a movie meant to show off the loud (loud pedal, loud paint, loud people - clothes, speech).
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

mikebai1990 wrote:

You're probably smelling the clutch. By making the shifts smooth you are using the clutch to bring the RPMs from redline back down to the appropriate RPM for your next gear. Since the RPM differential is going to be at least say 2000RPM (from 7000RPM in one gear to 5000RPM in the next), your clutch is doing a lot of work to bring that RPM down. I guess I would let out the clutch faster, but there's a certain balance between wearing out your clutch and wearing out your car's suspension/engine mounts from the shock. Maybe somebody else can offer a more definitive answer.
I'm still learning myself, but I can get decently quick and smooth shifts at redline. My guess is that Kayuba could do the same by waiting a fraction of a second for the revs to drop. Usually if you count 1-pizza you should be about right to drop the clutch after you shift.

If this statement has already been stated I apologize. Trying to keep myself awake at work and am not really reading completely.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 VW Golf

Post by pmacutay »

The thing to remember about upshifting quickly & smoothly at high RPM's is that it is still essential that you don't get back on the gas before the shift is complete, otherwise you're going to be putting a lot of power through a slipping clutch. Easy way to put a lot of wear on your clutch in short order.

Personally, I just stomp the clutch, yank the shifter and then dump the clutch and stomp on the gas once the clutch pedal is past the friction point. If I'm driving for speed, shift comfort and smoothness is not currently in my best interests; getting into the next gear without putting power through a slipping clutch, and doing all of this as quickly as possible, is.
95 VR6 Golf Sport