Weird Emergency Brake Issue . . .

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Angelbroken
Junior Standardshifter

Weird Emergency Brake Issue . . .

Post by Angelbroken »

The other day when I got home from work, I parked my car like always, raised the emergency brake, turned the car off, and when I was about to put it in first, i heard a "ping" sorta sound and my car begun to roll back. It seems my emergency brake "failed" since my parking spot is on a slight incline. I was concerned, since I use my emergency brake everytime I do a hill take off, which is quite common; so I started my car back up, and took it for a drive, testing it out on a few hills. It worked fine - and when I came home and parked it again, it worked fine as well. . . So what happened? I'm not sure what caused it to "fail" that one random time. . perhaps I didn't bring it up all the way; but that seems like a long shot since I'm usually pretty OCD with making sure my brake is up and my car is in 1st or R everytime I'm done driving.

Since then I've done a few hill starts, and lots of parking, and it hasn't done that again - but should I still get it checked out?
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Weird Emergency Brake Issue . . .

Post by Shadow »

When you heard the "ping", did you notice if the the e-brake lever dropped down at all?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I'm thinking mebbe the pawl on the park brake mechanism slipped a tooth - maybe it was in a tooth-butt condition, crest-to-crest, and after it slid down into the next valley the tension in the cable wasn't enough to hold the vehicle from rolling down the slope. You can prevent this by pushing the park brake lever down to make sure the pawl is locked in. This is why it's also a good idea to park it in-gear and to turn the steering wheel so the car will roll off to one side rather than straight down the incline.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
PaintDrinkingPete
Junior Standardshifter

Post by PaintDrinkingPete »

Nothing to do with your first post (most likely), but forget about the parking brake for hills. It's great for learning to drive a manual, but if you know what you're doing, my best advice it just forget about the hill. Unless you got a jerk up inches behind you, it's not necessary...seriously, forget about the hill, just drive...you may drift back a few inches, but that's fine. I find that having to deal with parking brake is only one more step and adds to pressure, just remove foot from brake, engage gas and release clutch as you normally would...and go.

With all the cars I've owned, I find riding the parking brake only wears it out soon...and hey, it's called a "parking brake" for a reason!

The first car I ever owned was a standard transmission with a busted parking brake; that car sucked, but it made me a better driver for it!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

PaintDrinkingPete wrote:Nothing to do with your first post (most likely), but forget about the parking brake for hills. It's great for learning to drive a manual, but if you know what you're doing, my best advice it just forget about the hill. Unless you got a jerk up inches behind you, it's not necessary...seriously, forget about the hill, just drive...you may drift back a few inches, but that's fine. I find that having to deal with parking brake is only one more step and adds to pressure, just remove foot from brake, engage gas and release clutch as you normally would...and go.

With all the cars I've owned, I find riding the parking brake only wears it out soon...and hey, it's called a "parking brake" for a reason!

The first car I ever owned was a standard transmission with a busted parking brake; that car sucked, but it made me a better driver for it!
Not certain I completely agree here.

- You're going going to wear out the parking brake sooner because you're not riding it. Once you're stopped, you're stopped and you release it when you take off.

- If the hill is steep enough to worry about rollback, you will not be "releasing clutch as you normally would...and go" because more throttle and clutch input will need to be applied to overcome to rollback.

- I do agree that the handbrake isn't necessary until you get to some really steep hills and you'll know when you get to one of those. Otherwise, I hold down the service brake as usual and when I'm about ready to go, I release the clutch to friction point while still holding the brake. Once the clutch catches, off brake and onto gas and then go. Brief clutch hold at idle RPMs will not significantly increase any wear.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650