Wrong Technique for Uphill Launches?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Wrong Technique for Uphill Launches?

Post by Shadow »

kayubassist wrote:Yes, my car does have hill stop feature but is soon disengaged once gas is pressed.
it is helpful that car does not roll back but clutch-gas pedal work is still needed....
Are you sure it releases based upon the gas pedal? The reason I ask is that mine releases based upon the clutch position. I haven't really look closely at it, but I'm guess there is a switch that activates when the clutch pedal reaches a specified point as it comes up off the floor. That makes it really easy (almost a no-brainer, even for noobs) to launch even on a steep hill because you can already have your right foot on the gas pedal and get the revs where you want/need them in order to take off smoothly.
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Re: Wrong Technique for Uphill Launches?

Post by daleadbull »

kayubassist wrote:Yes, my car does have hill stop feature but is soon disengaged once gas is pressed.
it is helpful that car does not roll back but clutch-gas pedal work is still needed....
I have a VW Golf R and I have this same feature. The hill hold releases as soon as you tap on the gas. What i do is take my right foot off the brake and hover over the gas while I start releasing the clutch to the biting point, then I get on the gas while letting the clutch out all the way. I'm no expert at this as I'm still new, I think I hold the clutch a fraction too long as well. I just need to get over fear of stalling. So basically I do a no gas launch on a hill and only add gas after reaching the biting point, at that point you shouldn't be rolling back anyway.
2012 VW Golf R